Boy, am I in a tough spot. 2 years ago I belonged to a band that has since broken up. We played a gig at a skatepark. It was part of an all day punk fest. We weren't exactly punk, but we were able to slide by somehow. We didn't suck, but we weren't playing the kind of stuff people were there to see. Fine, whatever. The band broke up shortly after that.

For about a year me and the bass player from that band tried sticking together and finding a new band to join. No luck. We then decided his brother, who was a guitar player, play drums because we needed a drummer and there was no real need for a second guitarist. We made some tunes and it sounded pretty good. Anyway, I was approached recently by one of the bands that played at the punk fest I spoke of above. He asked me if I had a band because he was setting up another fest (this time it was called a music fest instead of punk fest) but he was short one band. The drummer has other commitments though so I had to tell him we couldn't play it. Eventually the drummer said how his heart was with guitar and since he was stopping us from getting gigs he wanted to quit. I then asked the drummer of my old band if he would sit in with us (who is a really good drummer). He agreed to play the show with us so I called the guy back and told him we could do it. He said that was cool and he'd stop by my house the following day.

The next day comes. Now, mind you, we havn't played with this kid in well over a year and we only have a month to come up with material. The guy setting up the fest comes over with a schedule of all the bands and tickets. He said we had to sell a certain amount of tickets for 5 bucks a piece. As I was looking at the schedule, we were on there, which means he made it recently and moved bands time slots so we could play (since we werent supposed to play originally). We then figured it would be cool to look up some of the other bands that would be playing there. As we listened to them on the net, we realized that they are all hardcore/metalcore type stuff. That certainly isn't what I'm into, nor the kind of music I play. As we listened, we realized how much we shouldn't be part of this show. We would stick out like a sore thumb for the wrong reasons. We're also alot younger than the other bands playing there. Plus the people we would sell tickets to wouldn 't want to see the other bands cuz they aren't into that stuff either.

So basically I'm/we're in a tough spot. I think we all kind of decided we shouldn't play it (we wouldn't even be prepared enough to begin with) - but now that means we have to tell him we don't wanna play it - after we told him we couldn't play it in the first place and then told him we would. It's an akward situation and we're not really sure how to go about handling it.
It's the promoters fault for putting you in there. He should already know the style of music you play and then look at all the other band's style and realize that you shouldn't play there. Tell him you can't play and leave it at that.
I say you just play there and educate the crowd a little bit. Just have fun with it.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
I hate to say it so harshly, but a lot of festivals have bands or artists that don't fit in specifically so the crowd have someone to bottle off stage.

Like 50 Cent at Reading '05 (that was hilarious!)

That might not be the case since I don't know how different what you play is but if it is, don't feel too bad about bailing on him.

Another alternative is to try and make your songs a bit more "metally" - dunno if that's possible, just a suggestion

Good luck with it anyhow
It's just weird talking to him and telling him you don't think you should do it after you told him before you couldn't do it and he went through the trouble of getting you on there. It just feels kind of uncomfortable
Just play the gig, who cares if you dont fit with the bill, at worst people will just ignore your set.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Just go and have fun. Who cares if your different. It's better to be noticed then to be the same as the band who went up before you.
If the promoter is putting you in there then he must know and be ok wit the music your playing and feel comfortable having you play. Since you've already agreed and your names already tied to this, just prepare whatever you can, make it good but be yourselves. That way you don't ruin your chances of being able to play some other time and you get your music out there.
You could use the fact that you are different from the other bands to your advantage. If you say you'll stick out like a sore thumb, surely that's a good thing? You'll be remembered as the different band rather than the 'band that played that riff'.

How much material do you have at the moment? My band wrote about 3 songs in two weeks (we're a thrash metal band so..) and it wasn't too hard. You just have to have some ideas and practice and work on the everyday.

Think optimistically about it, and it should work out well for you guys. Good luck.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
Yea Play the gig. If people dont like the style of music thats fine, they wont think you suck because of it. Like someone else said "So some of them might ignor you, who cares". I hope not everyone in the crowd is so narrow minded that they only like one style of music. Besides half the people out there are probably just going to be there to suport there friends band! They might not be heavy metal fans either.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
I would go and play because if you turn it down now, the guy might think that you're not up to it at all, and he might not give you the oppurtunity again.

so what if it's a different style of music, people will say , they were the ones that stood out the most, they played something different which is good i tell you.

but do what you agree with most. Good Luck!!
If history is going to repeat itself I should think we can expect the same thing again. - TERRY VENABLES
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Play the show. Have fun with it. Who cares if you're different?

Exactly
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by Mr.Rodgers
You could use the fact that you are different from the other bands to your advantage. If you say you'll stick out like a sore thumb, surely that's a good thing? You'll be remembered as the different band rather than the 'band that played that riff'.

How much material do you have at the moment? My band wrote about 3 songs in two weeks (we're a thrash metal band so..) and it wasn't too hard. You just have to have some ideas and practice and work on the everyday.

Think optimistically about it, and it should work out well for you guys. Good luck.

He's been the most correct out of everyone that's posted here.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Also, if you dont play after commiting that wont help your reputation when youre trying to get other gigs in the area down the road. Booking peopel at venues might hear about how you commited to a show and cancelled at the last minute without a good reason (at least in terms of the music biz you dont have a good reason) that will make them less likely to book you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm