ok so i play metal. Im looking for a scale that sounds kindof creepy and like tim burton. Some examples are the opening to "falling away from me" by korn and the opening to "beast and the harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold. Whats the creepy scale im looking for?, I currently use the harmonic minor scale but i think that there should be a scale more in the direction of what im looking for.
It's not so much the scale itself, but how you use it. For instance, most blues stuff that used the blues scale sounds... well... bluesy. Then you get bands like Metallica and especially Black Sabbath that really eccentricate on that tritone, and even though it's just a plain old blues scale, it can be used in creepier ways.
So think intervals and chord progressions more than just scales. Phrygian and Phrygian Dominant both are sweet, exotic-like scales, but if you use them right they give off a pretty creepy vibe.
^ is right, its not so much about the scale but more so the way it is used and more so the intervals that are used.
^Both of the upper posts are right on.

No scale will give you a complete metal tone, or a complete 'creepy' tone, its how you use the notes. I mean Sabbath is a perfect example. The song Black Sabbath is creepy as hell and its just a blues scale!
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Tritone, tritone, tritone...creepiest dissonance you're likely to get

or chromatic...it all depends though
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
my personal favorite is the harmonic minor scale (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7), it just has that ominous sound
use the Hungarian scale

you can find it HERE
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...