Hi guys. ive been learning the guitar for 8 months. i have been playing an acoustic up until now. but i have an overwhelming urge to go and buy an electric. now as im a begginer i havent got a clue what i need to buy. im looking to spend about £150-200, any recomendations? also what else do i need? i know ill need an amp, but anything else? what exactly do these pedal things do, and can i live without them?
i like to play a lot of oasis, coldplay, u2 and razorlight. dont know if this makes a difference to which sort of guitar to buy, but like i say i am a total beginer and if i never ask, ill never know!!
leave pedals for now

just get a squier starters frontman pack from your locaal music shop there about £180 and you get guitar, amp, cable, strap, tuition video, plecs, and a book i think
My Gear

Kramer Jersey Star
Jackson DK2
Epi Lp Standard
Takamine G series
Marshall DFX 30 mg series
Boss Gt8 foot pedal

member of the 'i cant spell yngwhey mhalmstreem club'

PM me to join
yes u can live without pedals u wont need them yet. I recommend the Squier starter bundle. I dont know how much it is in pounds but heres what it looks like:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0280800506

or maybe this one if u also want one humbucker in there with 2 single coils:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0330700506
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
definately get a squier pack, people will mock you for owning one but they are the best starter guitars, i still own mine from years ago, its a good workhorse just a bit underpowered.

On the subject of pedals you don't need to get one straight away, when you do get one zoom make good multi fx pedals such as the 505 they cost about £40-50
Man kills everything
Don't get a Squier! Get a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Much better. You could also get either a small Fender amp or maybe you could brave the storm of geting a Marshall MG...they're decent starter amps but don't admit to anyone that you have one or you'll be mauled like you've never been mauled before.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
Don't get a Squier! Get a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Much better. You could also get either a small Fender amp or maybe you could brave the storm of geting a Marshall MG...they're decent starter amps but don't admit to anyone that you have one or you'll be mauled like you've never been mauled before.

that's over-budget for him
Valencia CG-180 | Alhambra 7P | Epiphone Sheraton | Korg AX3G | Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Quote by alliwant
Don't get a Squier! Get a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Much better.

Yeah I'd back that up. The Pacifica 112 will probably last you many years and can even be used a back up once you get proficient and upgrade.

You can get one as cheap as £155. Throw in a half decent practice amp and you won't be much over your budget.

The Roland Cube 15W looks like a good deal at around £65.

The Pacifica and the cube will outlast any starter pack by many years imo.
You can have a look at the Pacifica, great stuff for beginner. Also another great stuff for beginner is this http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=IJX40 and i recommend this. The difference between this and the older IJS40 starter pack is that this includes a 15w Ibanez practice amps which arent the best in the world but make a good gear for 1st timers.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks for all your help guys. i looked into the epiphone sg one and found out they do a budget les paul one too for about the same price. i much prefer the look of the les paul and are tempted to go for that one, but i thought id run it past you lot first to make sure im not making a mistake!! any thoughts???
i got an encore starter pack, it's lasted me over a year, although im looking to change it, and its done well.

if you can i would try and get a les paul, preferrably epiphne, they're nice guitars, and supposedy marshall amps are to, but might be a bit pricey.

and yes you can live without a pedal for now but i would save up for one cause you might want one further down the line
Quote by yeovil4eva
i got an encore starter pack, it's lasted me over a year, although im looking to change it, and its done well.

if you can i would try and get a les paul, preferrably epiphne, they're nice guitars, and supposedy marshall amps are to, but might be a bit pricey.

and yes you can live without a pedal for now but i would save up for one cause you might want one further down the line

NO! Don't get a Lowend epi!! There crap. I've got a Special II. Most ****ed up peace pf **** I ever wasted my money on.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
NO! Don't get a Lowend epi!! There crap. I've got a Special II. Most ****ed up peace pf **** I ever wasted my money on.

in which case you should probably render my advice useless
Epi's below 500 USD are ****. Really.

wow, i nearly went for that aswell. i checked out a load of reveiws and they all seemed really good. glad i ran it by you now!!

slightly off subject yeovil4ever are you a yeovil town fc fan? i had one of my best ever away days there. im a northampton fan and im looking forward to the trip to yeovil again this season!!
Well, maybe I got a buggy one, but all the epis below 500 have been crap. Mine dies alot, and bubps and scractes and **** apper if like magic.

i'd probably get a yamaha pacifica 112 (if you shop around, you can get it for about £145) and a roland microcube amp (around £60 or £70) (or if you don't play anything too heavy, the vox pathfinder is quite nice, and it's discontinued, I think, so you may be able to get one for cheap). It's £20 over budget, but worth it. Hopefully the shop will throw in a lead, strap, spare strings, and some picks too. If not, you'll be £30 to £40 over. Still, if you're willing to go to £200, you might as well go to £220-£230 to get something approaching decent...

I'd say it's worth it, unless going that extra £20 means you can't afford to eat for a week or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mart744
slightly off subject yeovil4ever are you a yeovil town fc fan? i had one of my best ever away days there. im a northampton fan and im looking forward to the trip to yeovil again this season!!

yer i am though admittedly i dont go and watch them much, glad you enjoyed it we always like to make our visitors feel welcome , good luck this season look foward to seein you down here
um get a samick mailibu. I got one as my started, and still use it. Its got great sound. Its awesome, and reliable.
"The Day that I die is the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar" - Bradley Nowell of Sublime

R.I.P- 1996