Hey guys, I just did a search and found nothing so I thought I'd make this thread...

So, I've got a fretless bass thats wanting to be played and I've got no idea about what bands bassist uses a fretless...Of course I know Jaco used one and so far I'm trying out a few of his songs but thats about all I'm attempting right now on the fretless...I've also played a bunch of non-fretless songs on the fretless to help my fingers and intonation such as the verse to Around the World by the Chillis, and thats helped my fretless playing a bunch too...I also do 2 octave scales and such but I realy want to play some songs that are played by bands that have fretless bassist...I'm aware that most of these will probably be Jazz/Blues/Flamenco (thanks to Jaco De Lucia ) bands/solo artists and I'm open to that...

Any recommendations for good songs played on a fretless will be greatly appreciated
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 26, 2006,
Well, Claypool plays a bit of fretless. Really, its like having a 5 string, you can play everything, and then a few more extra songs.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Come to think of it.... Around the world - rhcp is a great song to start on for fretless as you have to move around the fretboard lots to get those high notes and go back to the low ones.
yea, but claypools tone is just so weird...I guess sometimes I forget he usually uses a fretless...

and what band does Digiorgio play for?....Spiral Architect?...

And yea, manga thats what I thought when I wanted to work on my intonation/accuracy..
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

and what band does Digiorgio play for?....Spiral Architect?...

Testament, Sadus, Death and Control Denied.
I don't how it is normally played, but "New York Minute" by The Eagles/Don Henley is played on a fretless on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour DVD.
The bassist from Pearl Jam sometimes uses fretless basses... I think he does on Even Flow.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Jonas Hellborg
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
^i thought he used a fretted six string...guess not.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Jack Bruce plays fretless a lot.

What bass, if i may ask? i only ever see him playin SG style basses.. Warwick's lately... all fretted from what i saw.
Quote by mangablade
What bass, if i may ask? i only ever see him playin SG style basses.. Warwick's lately... all fretted from what i saw.

i saw him with some sort of fretless a while ago, not sure where.
haha
Quote by mangablade

Fretless Warwicks

"I had tried the EB-3 some years ago, and I found the short scale length to be like playing a toy. I literally couldn?t do it anymore?I was hitting wrong notes because it was just too small. I?ve been using my fretless Warwick forever; it?s my favorite bass, and I?ve been playing Cream songs on it with my own band, so I knew I would stick with it in some capacity." from here

You can see it on the new Cream DVD.
play some double bass stuff, it should sound pretty good, bands like the living end, John Butler trio and a few others use a double bass so try them
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Tallman

posting just a smile is as much of spam as anything. Consider this an informal warning to post more worthwhile stuff than

Please and thank you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
posting just a smile is as much of spam as anything. Consider this an informal warning to post more worthwhile stuff than

Please and thank you.

I was thinking about posting that one smiley, but id get in ****.

Check out Juan Aldertes of the mars volta. He uses a fretless with a wah pedal.
Quote by Double Basser
play some double bass stuff, it should sound pretty good, bands like the living end, John Butler trio and a few others use a double bass so try them

yea I have a double bass book that I got from my teacher, it has a bunch of scales/variations and other exercises that are pretty obscene to me right now because I'm not the best sight reader (to say the least)...but yea I've heard a bunch about this John Butler trio, what songs should I look at?

And Tallman, could you recomend a few songs with good basslines from TMV?
sure.

check out the widow. Thats probably the best.

And Viscerra Eyes of their new record.
jaco pastorius anyone?

not just his solo stuff, but also other things, eg weather report and joni mitchell
i need to get a better signature.
thanks tallman.

and MATT, yea I kinda mentioned that I was working on some Jaco stuff in my first post...I'll look into the stuff he did with joni mitchell though.
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne) uses a fretless bass on A Key To Nothing. It's probably a 4 string, but I'm not too sure.
^really?

whoa I didnt know that, better go get that tab...

I like mudvayne...a lot...
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Tallman's been pwned! muahaha

Consider this an informal warning as well.

Welsh Guitar's been pwned!!!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
i was listening to Pearl Jam's "Black" earlier today and finally noticed why the bass sounded so weird...He's definitely using a fretless in that song, I never noticed before because I'd never heard/played a fretless bass...But yea, thats an awesome song and the bassline is great, I'm gonna go find a tab for it now...

anyone know any other Pearl Jam songs where the bassist uses a fretless?
I think Roger Waters used one in "Have a Cigar". That's by Pink Floyd, if you don't know (you should).
I'm pretty sure John Patittuci plays a fretless correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Mongoose87
I think Roger Waters used one in "Have a Cigar". That's by Pink Floyd, if you don't know (you should).

Hey Yo has fretless too, but I'm pretty sure all the fretless bass was done by Dave Gilmore. Roger wasn't good enough as a bassist to do fretless.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Hey Yo has fretless too, but I'm pretty sure all the fretless bass was done by Dave Gilmore. Roger wasn't good enough as a bassist to do fretless.

According to Wiki, Roger did the bass for Have a Cigar.
Any Carles Benavent bass part before 1995 will get you a nice fretless flamenco bass primer. Look up Camaron, Jorge Pardo and Paco de Lucia.

Also try Michael Manring and Pino Palladino. They have awesome fretless voices. Tony Levin plays fretless once in a while too, on his solo albums.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
yea I have a double bass book that I got from my teacher, it has a bunch of scales/variations and other exercises that are pretty obscene to me right now because I'm not the best sight reader (to say the least)...but yea I've heard a bunch about this John Butler trio, what songs should I look at?

And Tallman, could you recomend a few songs with good basslines from TMV?

Zebra's a good one yet pretty easy, try betterman, has a sick solo, company sin, somethings gotta give all good songs
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects