Aw right, i need help with choosing between buying a multi-effects thing or to go for individual footswitches. Could someone help me out with choosing which of the 2 to go for and any suggestions. I play an Ibanez GRX140 and i wanna have a sound close to the following influences: Kurt Cobain
Jimi Hendrix/John Frusciante
Dave Grohl
Jimmy Page
oh and my amp is a Marshall MG series 30 GFX and i'm hopin to buy all this stuff from india so something relatively expensive. Grazie in advance
get a digitech multieffects processor...theyre relatively cheap and work great. the rp series is a great deal for your dollar
If you are going with inexpensive DEFINATELY get a multi FX processor. They Do a BETTER job than INEXPENSIVE single effects.

The reason great guitar players go with individual pedals is because when you can spend 200 on one effect that effect will sound really really good, but inexpensive single effects don't sound that great with the exception of...

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-2
Boss MT-2

Even then those pedals ca use a bunch of improvements.

So grab a multieffects unit.

1. TC Electronics makes the best (but way too expensive)
2. Line 6 makes the PODXT Live $375 (still too expensive) the standard podxt is around $200
3. Boss ME-50 $270
4. Digitech GNX 3 or higher

Any of these you can find are gonna be pretty good.

Good Luck.
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
I agree on the multi, personally I like the Line 6 PODxtLive but the Boss GT-8 and Digitech GNX300 are good also. Honestly though, you'll have better luck with a multi if you upgrade your amp. I've gotten great sounds using a PODXTL into an old Ampeg VT-22, amazing tone actually. VT-22's are usually tube combo units (although mine is a head) from the 70's that have amazing clean tone and power, and can usually be picked up on Ebay for around $400, give or take.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
okay multi-effects but one more thing i already own a multi-effects pedal it's a Zoom 505 II and i find it really hard to switch between effects so if someone could help me with choosing a multi-effects which is easy to use especially when playing live .
oh yeah one more thing all this stuff is a lot cheaper in india so something relatively expensive thanx fer all yer help guys
I hate multi effects. But i have the money to buy singles so thats ok.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Go for quality sound and buy individuals...
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
New amp and individual pedals.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Go for the Boss GT-6 or GT-8. This unit isn't just some multi-fx box meant for kids, it's built for professionals. Marty Friedman has used the Boss GT series both live and in the studio for years. Neil Young's guitarist is a regular over at bossgtcentral.com and he tours with both the GT-6 and GT-8. I own the GT-8 and I got rid of all my individual stomps because this unit is more flexible and I have more room to play around with tones. I've been able to go out and play with the GT-8 alone through a keyboard amp and it's able to shake the room as well as a triple rec. Go out and try one and make the choice for yourself.
At this point in time, stompboxes aren't generally superior in sound quality to the newer multi's, despite what most pedal users claim. I'd put the sound quality of most of the stuff on the PODXTL (or the GT-8 for that matter) up against most pedals any day. I've been a gigging guitarist for a long time and used pedals for years, the PODXTL's simulations are nearly identical sonically to some of the pedals they simulate. Not in all cases, but even the ones that differ from the original pedals are still good and usable. Plus, with both units you can program any combination of effects, their parameter changes, gain and amp-model changes, EQ and volume changes, etc, into any given patch, which you can activate with a single stomp. 4 of the patches are accessible at any given time without banking up on both units. Try changing all of those settings with conventional pedals without doing a giant tap-dance... Either the PODXTL or GT-8 give you excellent quality effects with a ton of programmable options and also a noise-gate, EQ, etc...

I think both those units are about even as far as sound effects go but I think the PODXTL's amp-modeling technology is better, if you ever plan to use that. It also has more pedals on the board than the GT-8, therefore more sounds available at any given time, so I think it's a little more flexable for live use.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
I think that multi effets are much better unless you took tap dancing lessons before, especially when you are changing like 5 effects at once.
I'm not sure about the PODXTL, but the GT-8 is dual channel, meaning you can have a channel A and B on each patch. You can set the unit to change all effect parameters when you change channels. There is so much programability in the GT-8 and the POD that I couldn't imagine needing any more than what's in that unit. But don't expect to get the unit and have everything working in 5 minutes, it takes some time to learn how everything works and how to get good sounds, just don't give up and wuss out if you don't figure it out in the first hour. It's worth the money and time to be able to walk to practice or a show with just your amp, guitar and POD/GT and be ready to go before the singer is.

And you can't beat being able to back up all your effects settings and tones to your computer. Makes life so easy if you're doing multiple sessions or shows since you can just download your entire rig and be ready to go in minutes.
Quote by TwoString
I'm not sure about the PODXTL, but the GT-8 is dual channel, meaning you can have a channel A and B on each patch. You can set the unit to change all effect parameters when you change channels..

Yea, that's a cool feature that's unique to the GT-8. It's not something I would normally use so that didn't affect my decision, but still a neat idea.

Quote by TwoString
There is so much programability in the GT-8 and the POD that I couldn't imagine needing any more than what's in that unit. But don't expect to get the unit and have everything working in 5 minutes, it takes some time to learn how everything works and how to get good sounds, just don't give up and wuss out if you don't figure it out in the first hour. It's worth the money and time to be able to walk to practice or a show with just your amp, guitar and POD/GT and be ready to go before the singer is.

Absolutely true, you can't even scratch the surface of what these units can do or how good they can (potentially) sound in the first couple of hours. They're definately not as easy to dial up as pedals but have way more options and, better yet, any combination of tones can be saved with the touch of a button. The PODXTL has a free software program you can download called Deep Edit, which allows you to use your computer to edit, very cool.
Ok first of all, it should be universally known that MULTIEFFECTS ARE PROFOUNDLY WORSE THE INDIVIDUAL PEDALS. True, no one hear is going to agree with me, but judging from their posts, they all own multi-fx. Dont bother cheaping out and buying a multieffects. If you need effects that quickly, buy em and then return em, but dont waste your money on something thats not only digital but has terrible tone.
Also, John Frusciante tone and Jimi Hendrix tone are VERY different. Their playing styles are similar, but comparing their tone would be completely incorrect, as not only has JF's tone changed dramatically over the past 15 years, but none of them are that of Jimi Hendrix's.

ANd to make the entire post above irrelevant....buy a new amp instead, because to be honest, yours is pretty bad. Marshall in general is usually over priced and/or has really ****ty tone.
Last edited by HeartInACage at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by HeartInACage
Ok first of all, it should be universally known that MULTIEFFECTS ARE PROFOUNDLY WORSE THE INDIVIDUAL PEDALS. True, no one hear is going to agree with me, but judging from their posts, they all own multi-fx. Dont bother cheaping out and buying a multieffects. If you need effects that quickly, buy em and then return em, but dont waste your money on something thats not only digital but has terrible tone.
Also, John Frusciante tone and Jimi Hendrix tone are VERY different. Their playing styles are similar, but comparing their tone would be completely incorrect, as not only has JF's tone changed dramatically over the past 15 years, but none of them are that of Jimi Hendrix's.

ANd to make the entire post above irrelevant....buy a new amp instead, because to be honest, yours is pretty bad. Marshall in general is usually over priced and/or has really ****ty tone.

Dude, believe what you want. Until recently pedals were unquestionably better but the technology has caught up (BTW, I think you'll find that most people believe as you do, not the other way around). I can afford pedals and used them for years but I've since ditched them. My control over my sound is much better and the audio quality hasn't suffered at all, if anything it's improved by cleaning up my signal chain and getting rid of all those patch cables. Every piece of gear you add to your chain degrades your sound and adds noise. Have you used these newer units? If you haven't spent a good amount of time with them (I mean more than trying them out in a store) then you really can't honestly say you know what you're talking about. I don't know what your background is but I'm a gigging guitarist who's been playing in bands for over 20 years and have been in audio professionally for 14. I know a little bit about guitar sounds.

As I said, believe what you want. I love the fact that I'm one of the only guys in the bars I play who uses one of these units. I can get so many more sounds so much more easily than most other guitarists I play shows with and that's just fine by me.

Also, other than the "/", where did the guy say that Hendrix and Frusciante had the same tone?

I DO agree with you about the amp though.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jul 28, 2006,
Topic Creator, I'm in the same boat as you. Take a look at my thread - There's quite a bit of information in there. I've decided to go for individual effects. I just picked out the best ones that I could and got them to add up to the same price as the multi effects unit. I'm not getting 80 some effects, but the ones that I am getting are of top quality and are easy to use while playing.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I speak from experience as well. My rig before...

Modded Vox V847 Wah
Modded Boss DS-1
Ibanez TS-9
Danelectro Echo
Boss CE-2
Custom "Home Brew" Flanger
Boss DD-3 Delay
Fender Twin Reverb

My rig today...

Boss GT-8
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ibanez TS-9
Boss FS-6
and as soon as I can get one, a Roland KC-350 (yes, the keyboard amp)

Right now I'm going through modded Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

What I saved by going to the Boss GT-8 is a ton of headache. Trying to troubleshoot my old rig whenever a buzz or noise whould creep up was a pain. Not saying it couldn't be dealt with, I've troubleshot more complicated rack setups for friends, but for me, the GT-8 was the way to go. I play too many different types of music to be locked down to individual pedals. And for those that say multi-effects cannot possibly sound as good as individual pedals, then they are either too lazy to try to work with the unit or they are too impatient to try and take the time to understand it.

I've played the tube amps, I've played through tons of effects pedals, and now I've seen the wonders of digital processors. The only reason I'm using the Morley Wah is because I'm using the expression pedal on the GT-8 for whammy, and the TS-9 is there just because I like having 2 overdrives (the TS-9 on the GT-8 is very accurate). For me, replacing my expensive, heavy tube amp and nearly a thousand dollars worth of pedals with a $350 multi effects and a lightweight $250 keyboard amp and getting not only the same tones but hundreds more along with it is worth more than me upholding some retarded reputation as a "tubes are the greatest thing on the planet" or "individual effects are the only thing that sound good" snob.

I used to be one of those guys that would never touch anything digital or anything that didn't have a tube in it...now I'm glad I did.
Last edited by TwoString at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by fatgraymatt
Dude, believe what you want. Until recently pedals were unquestionably better but the technology has caught up (BTW, I think you'll find that most people believe as you do, not the other way around). I can afford pedals and used them for years but I've since ditched them. My control over my sound is much better and the audio quality hasn't suffered at all, if anything it's improved by cleaning up my signal chain and getting rid of all those patch cables. Every piece of gear you add to your chain degrades your sound and adds noise. Have you used these newer units? If you haven't spent a good amount of time with them (I mean more than trying them out in a store) then you really can't honestly say you know what you're talking about. I don't know what your background is but I'm a gigging guitarist who's been playing in bands for over 20 years and have been in audio professionally for 14. I know a little bit about guitar sounds.

As I said, believe what you want. I love the fact that I'm one of the only guys in the bars I play who uses one of these units. I can get so many more sounds so much more easily than most other guitarists I play shows with and that's just fine by me.

Also, other than the "/", where did the guy say that Hendrix and Frusciante had the same tone?

I DO agree with you about the amp though.

OK first of all what is the difference between analogue and digital (multi fx) effects? In analogue essentially your signal is passed through a bunch of diodes and capacitors, maybe a very simple micro chip and then spat out the other end. Everthing in a simple single effects pedal is deisgned from the ground up to do what it's supposed to and no more, all the way down to a 3DPT switch for true bypass (if u get the right parts).

A digital multi fx will do the following: grab the signal, pass it through a buffer and convert it to digital and then send it onto the processor which, acording to your settings, will process it's software, run it through a bunch of mathematics, and then
once processed will convert it back to an analogue, or digital depending on the output you choose.

So when u use an analogue stomp box you're signal is passing through it and it's still your signal that you're putting into your flashy tube amp. When you use a digital multi fx basically your signal is being taken, converted, and then recreated and sent to your amp or your computer. If you appreciate the organic rawness of a tube amp than you'll appreciate the organic nature of analogue stomp box's.

MAKE YOUR OWN! it's not hard and you can get good components cheap. way better quality then EHX or Ibanez.
If ure looking for a mukti effects. it has to be the korg AX3000G with ESS. Gives u the wildest Sounds imaginable. Also, its well-built. Not like one of those plastic ones. Great.
Quote by Renfordoggz
okay multi-effects but one more thing i already own a multi-effects pedal it's a Zoom 505 II and i find it really hard to switch between effects so if someone could help me with choosing a multi-effects which is easy to use especially when playing live .

Try the Boss ME-50. I just got it recently. It's amazing. The distortions on it are all very quality (except for the Metal Zone 2 replica, its horrendous). I like the DS-1 and OD-2 replicas, they're amazine for almost all genres. With some tweaking, I got a "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sound out of it. With some tweaking, you can sound like a lot of different bands.

The ME-50 is incredibly to turn effects on and off. Want some flange? Turn the dial to flange, tweak the speed/depth/effect volume level and push the pedal to activate or deactivate it. Easy as that.

There's even a seperate delay pedal.

If you want to use patches instead of tweaking your sounds seperately there's a 30-patch bank in there, as well. It's sweet and it works smoothly. I'd recommend it.