Page 1 of 2
one of the best songs ever written from one of the great blues players of our time.
say whatever you want about joe or the boogie
I Felt The Hate Rise Up In Me
Kneel Down And Clear The Stone Of Leaves
I Wander Out Where You Cant See
Inside My Shell I Wait And Bleed

Quote by God Am
Blasphemy. You're supposed to want what you can't have. It's the American way, you fool.
Satch is good, but I wouldn't classify him as blues.....
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
satch? and blues? isn't he shred? yeah he's shred!
but yes, a great player!
strat player forever.
Not into shred but that song is pretty cool.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Eh. Never really thought of it as that great.

I'm obssessed with Satch, but the Boogie doesn't do much for me (nor does Surfing). Pretty boring.

(nor have I ever really thought him as 'shred'...)
Ahhh bugger off with your narrow definitions of shred all of ya
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Ahhh bugger off with your narrow definitions of shred all of ya

NEVAR! </analness>
I love Satch. Personally, I love the whole space theme that he presents in his songs. They give me that real open-mindedness wondery feel.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
ok guys. he is a blues player. shred is fast blues. lol. in fact, when it comes down to it just about every style of popular music is fast slow or regular blues. of course, my favorite scale/style is harmonic minor alternative. anyway. yes, satch boogie rules.

Quote by God Am
Blasphemy. You're supposed to want what you can't have. It's the American way, you fool.
Damn satch can boogie.

That is all I have to say on the matter.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Quote by blam521
ok guys. he is a blues player. shred is fast blues. lol. in fact, when it comes down to it just about every style of popular music is fast slow or regular blues. of course, my favorite scale/style is harmonic minor alternative. anyway. yes, satch boogie rules.

completely wrong
yeah, the tapping part is a bit much, but the harmonic divebomb squeel things are his signature move. he can do as many as he wants. look at the extremist. he has 8 in a row there!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Why can't a shredder be a blues player too? Or the other way around?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
The song is meh, but Satch happens to be one of my favorite shredders. My fav album is probably Flying in a Blue Dreams, but I've listened to most of his other albums.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by blam521

imagine what the blues purists would say in the blues forum!

Hes a Blues inspired Shredder who uses some blues licks. Satch Boogie is a bluesey song but hes done plenty of un bluesly material, like from the album Flying in a blue dream.

Its like saying that because Malmsteen ocassionally uses the Blues mode, he must be a blues guitarist.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by ~1954~ at Jul 27, 2006,
I love him. Saw him live a while ago. Satch Boogie rocked live. As does it always. He has one of the coolest song-titles in the history of music, though. The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing. How can you not love that? Such an awesome name.
Love Thing anyone?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Love Thing anyone?

Def. my favorite satch song.
</IMO>
Quote by trollblod
Def. my favorite satch song.

Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Yes Satch is awesome, he finally inspired me to care more about clean playing and practacing more.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
about my last comment. i meant every popular music is inspired by blues. and the tapping part well, with any satriani song you have to imagine it as if there were vocals. that would be the breakdown of the song. i am listening to it right now. think of it as having a deep meaning in the song. lol, his superstrat is crying out for relief.

Quote by God Am
Quote by blam521
ok guys. he is a blues player. shred is fast blues. lol.

I'm sure Allan Holdsworth is just "fast blues..." Aren't I correct guys? </sarcasm>
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
some of his songs are almost blues. look at, for example, starry night. extremely bluesy.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
I didn't say that now did I, though I'm inclined to disagree with the second insinuation.

I didn't say you did, did I

But why are you inclined to disagree with the second "insinuation" as you put it?

Click.
I think Satch is a Blues-rock-shred guitarist. I don't think Satch is that great, I saw him in concert and to be honest I was somewhat bored.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
He has a few blues rock songs here and there, but he is by no means a bluss rock player...to say that would be just plain weird. Most songs have pretty much no blues influence being shown at all, really.
Quote by Resiliance
But why are you inclined to disagree with the second "insinuation" as you put it?

well just going by the large pool of blues players that I have heard, none of them really seemed capable of "shredding" per se - and this is possibly because some of them chose not to develop their technical abilities to a very great extent since they were well able to achieve the musical effect that say a fast run or sweep interspersed thru a solo could, without actually playing such.
Quote by blam521

uh... no...

true, blues heavily influenced lots of music as we know it, but saying that everyone just plays blues at varying speeds is tooootally wrong. And uh, the scale thing was kind of irrelevant O.o
Fave Satch song- As of the moment, ceremony, but I also really like The Crush of Love, Crystal planet alot.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
well just going by the large pool of blues players that I have heard, none of them really seemed capable of "shredding" per se - and this is possibly because some of them chose not to develop their technical abilities to a very great extent since they were well able to achieve the musical effect that say a fast run or sweep interspersed thru a solo could, without actually playing such.

Well that really doesn't take away the possibility, for instance, SRV could be pretty darn fast when he wanted to be.

*awaits 1000000 blues elitists to come and flame*

Click.
I think this is turning into a debate on the meaning of 'shredder'
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
^I don't... We're not actually talking about the meaning of the word "shredder".

Click.
Quote by Night_Lights
I think this is turning into a debate on the meaning of 'shredder'

Same as every other thread in the history of this forum

There's too much debate over the word shred, and it's completly pointless. Shred is subjective.