Ok I've been playing maybe 3 yrs or less. Ive been practicing SONGS from Metallica, Pantera, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Van Halen, Steve Vai, and Guns&Roses. And I think I'm not practicing the right stuff. So can someone tell me what do I need to really PRACTICE? Thanks
Last edited by Pantera2589 at Jul 26, 2006,
it is very subjective and depends on what style of music you play, how far you want to advance into it etc...
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Well I dont care really what genre I play. Like I want to know Metal theory, Jazz Theory, and basically stuff like what Steve Vai and Eric Johnson use and know. But I dont want to copy songs really I want to start making my own songs soon. But I want to know what to practice to lead me into that road.
metal theory and jazz theory are the same.... its all music theory, just metal and jazz highlight different approaches, and like wise you can use a jazzy piece in a metal song (see bitch slap by slipknot..... and don't anyone startup with the 'slipknots not metal' crap)
well, you'll want to learn theory, first of all

http://www.online-guitar-lesson.com

learn everything on that site - that's just the basic and intermediate stuff

later you can get into advanced stuff such as counterpoint, harmony, etc...

learn the techniques and how to practice - Troy Stetina series of instructional books will help you out
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.