Poll: Better Solo?
Poll Options
View poll results: Better Solo?
ClassicAxe
16 43%
Nikoman
21 57%
Voters: 37.
Ill go first I guess, Classicaxe, I wasn't a huge fan of your choice of notes, but you had some cool clean licks in there, I just kept waiting for some lydian tritone action and was never quite satisified. You kept resolving to that fifth, which made your licks sound mixolydian, and I didn't quite like that, or the major sound over this bt. I heard your atonal insanity on that funk jam, bust some of that out man!

Nicko...first, I spelled your name wrong, I'll fix that. Your phrasing left alot to be desired, especially for a shred track...You had some cool ideas, but alot of the time it came out a little sloppy. I think you should build up your technique a bit more and focus on playing everything perfectly clean.

Anyways I vote for Classic, cause he put a lil more shred into it.
Quote by gtgram14
Ill go first I guess, Classicaxe, I wasn't a huge fan of your choice of notes, but you had some cool clean licks in there, I just kept waiting for some lydian tritone action and was never quite satisified. You kept resolving to that fifth, which made your licks sound mixolydian, and I didn't quite like that, or the major sound over this bt. I heard your atonal insanity on that funk jam, bust some of that out man!

Nicko...first, I spelled your name wrong, I'll fix that. Your phrasing left alot to be desired, especially for a shred track...You had some cool ideas, but alot of the time it came out a little sloppy. I think you should build up your technique a bit more and focus on playing everything perfectly clean.

+1....minus the musical theory stuff which i dont know.
I know theory....but like, I can't apply it particularly well.... I can recognize it decently and I think for anyone who knows it the critique can be helpful, but if I start sounding all technical and annoying by all means yell at me. Now that I look at my crit it seems kind of like I'm trying sound like I know everything, If i start sounding like that..... Flame Me!
of course the qualty was better on classicaxe but i had to vote for nickoman cause i liked the style in his improv, but good job both of you
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by gtgram14

Im going to have to say that BOTH of them lacked phrasing, the only part decent in that department was Classicaxe's intro, which got repetitive quick. Tho he had better technique for the most part.

The thing is, i hate a lot of shred, the only artists i really like are Paul Gilbert and Steve vai, both of whom i love the phrasing they do, and the fact that they play MELODIES, not just swarms of notes, which is the misconception of what shred is about.

So both of you work on your phrasing, throw in something interesting, maybe even... less boring backing tracks?

tho my vote goes to classic for better technique and atleast a shred of phrasing.
Quote by mangablade
Im going to have to say that BOTH of them lacked phrasing, the only part decent in that department was Classicaxe's intro, which got repetitive quick. Tho he had better technique for the most part.

The thing is, i hate a lot of shred, the only artists i really like are Paul Gilbert and Steve vai, both of whom i love the phrasing they do, and the fact that they play MELODIES, not just swarms of notes, which is the misconception of what shred is about.

So both of you work on your phrasing, throw in something interesting, maybe even... less boring backing tracks?

tho my vote goes to classic for better technique and atleast a shred of phrasing.

Yeah i hate the track i couldent play worth balls on it i wish we had a better track to play on
Classic Axe- got better towards the end. Some of the bends seemed painfully out of tune, and you seemed to choose some odd notes. 6/10. Liked the tone though!
They were both good tracks. Tone wise, I liked ClassicAxe's more. ClassicAxe's one had also more of what you usually call shred. Nicko's one instead was less of a "shred" solo, the tone was too bassy sometimes and had volume too high but had more soul. But all in all, Nicko's solo was a lot more enjoyable, had more soul and had that thing more that I can't really explain... so my vote goes to nicko
Well what makes no sense to me is the fact that there are 21 voters and only like 5 commented...
yeah i dont like that ether Btw thanks for the vote...I wasent really feelin the track i can do way better then this next round i'll do better if i make it threw
yes, the track was tricky, but had you been able to work with it more effectively, that would have been some serious creativity/versatility kudos. If anyone has good shred bts....post them!

My theory on the vote/no comment thing is the shred forum people feeling special and against competion so they vote randomly....It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be suprised.
yeah that still doesnt count for like 10 votes hahah

But i doubt people would just come on and randomly vote

That way we'd tie up?

Chances are anyways...yah know 50/50 chances...
my vote is for classicaxe.he has great control over what he plays.i think he was a little more inspired with the song than the other guy.basiclly classicaxe owned the song!
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
i voted classicaxe

his was more played more accuratly

and nickoman messed up alot
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Damn, well if you guys like a classic rock song i could have done that lol, i thought this was shred category..... Niko, ill admit your style fit more to the song, but you didnt really.... "shred".....

I could have made this a winger tribute and got more votes lol~
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Nicko had the better feeling solo, but it wasn't exactly all shred, and it was kind of sloppy.

So, classic wins, because this is a shred track. Were it rock, I'd give it to Nicko.
classic, nice solo, some out of key notes though :-\ actaully alot

nick, too sloppy for me

vote for classic
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Quote by rockstar mace
i voted classicaxe

his was more played more accuratly

and nickoman messed up alot

Your right i shouldent have Improv'd that hole thing...I did re-record the song with better tone and it wasent improvisation but i cant post that on my D-music intil the compatition is over right? Check in on it after the compatition is over
Hey Classicaxe i just wanted to say you had a wicked track i was lucky to beat you but thats the way it played out BTW if you find a good track i'll give you a Re-Match! peace out
Quote by CustomCustom
well there are at least 21 tone deaf people here

Do you mean that tone is the only thing that matters when playing guitar? Don't get me wrong, I spend hours searching for better tones, tone can affect everything in a solo, but it's certainly not the only thing that counts. I voted for nicko but you can be sure I'm not tone deaf. Even if nicko's tone was too bassy and classicaxe's tone was overall better than his, nicko's solo has more soul and flows better. Considering it was supposed to be a shred competition but none of the two actually shredded, I voted for the one that had (a little) more soul in it.
^^ maybe my WM player is broken but theres all kinds of out of key notes, broken phrases, stop studder start picking mistakes, badly phrased parts, and the vomitty sounding transistor amp/stomp box distortion tone as icing on the cake. No offense to a beginner but thats whats on the tape. so no Im not just referring to tone. I didnt hear any glaring picking mistakes and missed notes in Classics.
Man... I think you're taking this whole thing too seriously. There's nothing to win and nothing to lose, it's just something made for fun. And anyway, nicko's recording, to me, wasn't as you described it, then it could be two things, maybe I was totally stupid when I listened to it or I completely suck at guitar... it could be both. But it seems strange to me that 21 people on the forum (and usually there are no fools here, there are some very good recordings sometimes) are tone deaf and can't hear incredibly bad playing, bad phrasing, ear hurting tone and so on. What do you think, that someone corrupted 21 people to vote for him? It's just something made for fun as I said before, so if I didn't hear something from you and knew you are a good player I would have said that maybe you were the problem. In the end, I think you're just takin it too seriously, some people have a certain opinion, others have another one. That's what critiques and the poll are for.
AHAHAHA!!!! OH MY GOD!! A "SHRED" OF PHRASING!! OH MAN! I FINALLY GET IT! whew, mangablade, you will be the death of us all.