Page 1 of 2
Okkervil River are very good. I've never gotten around to picking up Black Sheep Boy, though. I only have a handful of mp3s from various (legal) places.
Had a big period of listening to Okkervil River last year, fantastic stuff. Favourite album is probably 'Down the river of golden dreams'.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i adore this band. theyre lovely on record and utterly utterly amazing live.

my favourite songs are 'okkervil river song', 'for real', 'a stone' and 'red'. oh, and 'black' and 'the velocity...'. actually, i love them all.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
bumped this up because they have a record coming out on the 7th (even though it has leaked).

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THESE GUYS? HAVE THEY BEEN KIDNAPED BY ALIENS OR SOMETHING?

I'm so disapointed.

(edit)

wait wait, smart guys.... they put the worst tracks at the begining so the critics get an awfull impression and don't go raving about them and so they keep their indie cred.

yes, that must be it!

still, the lack of brass instruments bugs me
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Last edited by sponj at Aug 2, 2007,
I've heard many worse things than the new album, but yeah, they're just not the same band anymore. They've officially been streamlined and packaged for mass consumption.
i am constantly recommended these folks, i never checked them out
i'll download something tomorrow
after what i have read here i don't plan on it, i just need to know the name so i can avoid it like the plague
i think it's called stage names. i've been meaning to download the leak, but just haven't cared all that much to.
I've had many friends try to turn me on to this band, I don't enjoy them. They don't seem original and their music to me was somewhat boring and mediocre.

Can someone recommend a song?
peace & chemicals
For Real got me into them as well, but then I fell in love with songs like All the Latest Toughs, A King and a Queen and Song for our so-called friends
The latest album is currently in the post, along with the MEC box, and I honestly can't wait. The only song I've heard so far is 'our life is not a movie of maybe' and it's fantastic. Hope that it's not bad, but I reckon you lot are just exaggerating, so I'm ignoring it

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
bumped cos i don't want to start a new thread when one exists.

god i love this band so much.

they touring the UK soon! well i say 'touring' - they're playing london, ireland and scotland. so a really full tour there.

i think i will make it to the london one nonetheless. also, i quite like the stage names, not their best though.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
I was thinking of buying 'The Stage Names' because I found it in town here..but you guys seem not to like it? I've haven't heard much from these guys and I own no albums, but I want to get into them.
The lead singer is hawt.

At least, I think it's the lead singer. It might be another member. But nonetheless.

I really like "No Key, No Plan."
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by jallas
bumped cos i don't want to start a new thread when one exists.

god i love this band so much.

they touring the UK soon! well i say 'touring' - they're playing london, ireland and scotland. so a really full tour there.

i think i will make it to the london one nonetheless. also, i quite like the stage names, not their best though.

they're playing nottingham too. i'm going to the london gig though. i love the oxford tube.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
I was thinking of buying 'The Stage Names' because I found it in town here..but you guys seem not to like it? I've haven't heard much from these guys and I own no albums, but I want to get into them.

get black sheep boy
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
they're playing nottingham too. i'm going to the london gig though. i love the oxford tube.

really?

mind you, even if they were playing nottingham and nowhere else i doubt i'd go. nottingham innit

haha erm yeah see you in london then!
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

DID YOU GO?

my boyfriend was there taking photos, he was right at the front and chatted to them a bit. also nicked off with the singers tie, but said it was for me

i have honestly never wanted to go to a gig so badly as this one, but i couldn't make it. tuesday nights is bad enough for a gig, plus it being 200+ miles away and i couldn't book any time off work.

but i'm sure they'll be back soon... hopefully

he rang me during Black & So Come Back, phwoarrr they sounded AMAZING.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by slinks
They've officially been streamlined and packaged for mass consumption.

That would make sense if they were getting any more popular. Or if they were actually signed to a major label or anything. So you're mostly wrong.

I loved The Stage Names. It's just a really great album, simple as that.
Quote by jallas
DID YOU GO?

my boyfriend was there taking photos, he was right at the front and chatted to them a bit. also nicked off with the singers tie, but said it was for me

i have honestly never wanted to go to a gig so badly as this one, but i couldn't make it. tuesday nights is bad enough for a gig, plus it being 200+ miles away and i couldn't book any time off work.

but i'm sure they'll be back soon... hopefully

he rang me during Black & So Come Back, phwoarrr they sounded AMAZING.

no, it was the gig back last year at the luminaire that i went to. i wanted to go this time, i really really did, but i forgot about it and tickets sold out and i could have got some last minute but i'd already got a ticket for halfway formal hall so i couldnt really.

they were amazing back at the luminaire though. seriously seriously good. if they were anywhere close to that at the scala it will have been awesome.
Brilliant gig last night (London again). Also picked up the Overboard & Down tour EP, which is well worth getting if you can. "The President's Dead" is a good song and they opened with it last night.
What really suprised me was how much the band can really rock out! For Real, Black, Plus Ones etc. were really forceful. Also we got a song called "Singer-Songwriter" off the new record which they said will be released in the autumn.
i listened to this band for the first time last week they are amazing

and i am seeing them in a week yeah
They're in London again?
Get all these emails from ticket companies and just delete them these days, really should pay a bit more attention to them.

Okkervil were/are great.

RateYourMusic
They were... The Borderline as well so a really intimate show. I was front row.

Playing Latitude in the summer apparently so I guess I'll see them there.
Yeah I seem to remember Alice saying they were coming over at some point later in the summer.

Borderline good? Can't say I've ever been there.
Have dug out 'Black sheep boy' again though and played it for the majority of the weekend - along with the Circulatory System album - and clearly forgot how good that was. Half dismissed it when it came out due to how good the older albums were, what a mistake.

RateYourMusic
Yeah it's one of my favourite venues. About 200 capacity I think.

I've listened to almost nothing other than OR since the gig. Black Sheep Boy is, as you say, great.
i saw them the other day at sasquatch
they were great
they played a pretty up beat set
and half the band was wasted
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
Yeah it's one of my favourite venues. About 200 capacity I think.

I've listened to almost nothing other than OR since the gig. Black Sheep Boy is, as you say, great.

Might have to try and check it out at some point then. Used to love the 100 Club and Metro Club and kind of picture The Borderline to be quite similar. These days all the gigs I want to go to seem to end up in East or North London (Corsica Studios for one put on a lot of great stuff) and probably aren't worth the effort.

Still prefer 'Down the river of golden dreams' to any of the other releases but they're now a bit closer bunched.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Yeah I seem to remember Alice saying they were coming over at some point later in the summer.

Borderline good? Can't say I've ever been there.
Have dug out 'Black sheep boy' again though and played it for the majority of the weekend - along with the Circulatory System album - and clearly forgot how good that was. Half dismissed it when it came out due to how good the older albums were, what a mistake.

yeah they're back in the autumn now, i'm off to see em in mancs and possibly wolverhampton as well. cannot wait!

can't wait for the new album either, though i find it rather annoying how it is released a whole month later here in the UK than in the US?! i'll just have to get an expensive import

and i am dying to hear the new single but nooo it's only available on itunes US, if anyone has it...
Quote by Kensai
I'm bumping this because I don't want to start a new thread,
so anyway I've been listening to the new album leak and its really good, anyone
who likes Okkervil River should check it out, its released September 9th.

the new song Lost Coastlines is on the their myspace:
myspace.com/okkervilriver

P.S. I'm actually planning on buy the album when its released
P.S.S. I don't know why people are bashing The Stage Names its a great album
on par with Black Sheep Boy in my opinion
erm, new album came to my radio station yesterday. it was ok. i might have liked it better had i actually downloaded an album by them last year.
Yeah if you haven't really listened to the Stage Names I'd listen to that first and
if it grows on you than get the new one.
Quote by kiteblues11
I'm bumping this because I don't want to start a new thread,
so anyway I've been listening to the new album leak and its really good, anyone
who likes Okkervil River should check it out, its released September 9th.

the new song Lost Coastlines is on the their myspace:
myspace.com/okkervilriver

P.S. I'm actually planning on buy the album when its released
P.S.S. I don't know why people are bashing The Stage Names its a great album
on par with Black Sheep Boy in my opinion

hmm i would say that black sheep boy is definitely their best, IMO. it's one of the few albums i can listen to over and over again, start to finish without skipping a single track. or even wanting to. every track on there is just pure perfection, and i also find it pretty strange to not listen to it in order. usually i put my albums on shuffle but i just can't do that with black sheep boy, it doesn't sound right!

i got the new single and i really like it. heard another track off the new album, something about pop radio or pop song or something or other, but it wasn't really as impressive as i was hoping. people say the new album in general isn't as awesome as their other stuff. still gonna buy it asap though. it's not released here til a full month later than in the US dammit so expensive import it is!
Quote by Kensai
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Page 1 of 2