edge pro, are they good? i mean what better the floyd rose or the edge pro. they look kinde the same cept that the edge pro looks a little more round. so what sbetter the edge pro or the ofr
from what ive heard the only tremolos you should use are a floyd rose, a floyd rose licensed, kahler, or edge pro,

i dont know how good they are in comparison to the others though
The Edge Pro is a low profile Floyd Rose type of a bridge. It's awesome, and many owners of both would say that the Ibanez version is superior to the FR. One of its positive features is that you can load standard strings in it without cutting off the ball ends.

Beware of Edge Pro II, however. Those go in lower level Ibanez guitars and they're not too good.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
are you saying on the wel known floyd roses you need to trimm off the ball ends? im no expert about floyds i just repeat what i hear
Quote by sexy-man
are you saying on the wel known floyd roses you need to trimm off the ball ends? im no expert about floyds i just repeat what i hear

you can either buy strings without ball ends or you can put them in reverse with the ball end up at the headstock and cut the string once you get it tuned up.
how about Zero Tolerance tremolos? From what I read they're amazing but i've never played one...
Or you can keep the ball end at the tuner and use it as a cheap locking tuner alternative - like this - which looks cool with those colorful d'addarios, however has little benefit since you already have a locking nut.

Quote by HermanForce
how about Zero Tolerance tremolos? From what I read they're amazing but i've never played one...

Zero Resistance - here - ball bearings instead of knife edges - smooth uniform action, low profile, great tuning stability, equipped with backstop. A winner!
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jul 26, 2006,
Quote by pifty
Or you can keep the ball end at the tuner and use it as a cheap locking tuner alternative - like this - which looks cool with those colorful d'addarios, however has little benefit since you already have a locking nut.

wouldnt that be a pain to measure?
Quote by theusedsk8er
wouldnt that be a pain to measure?

No, why? I pull the string to the tuner, wrap it once, then cut off just enough so it goes into the saddle with little slack, and tune up. Pretty easy, actually, the string doesn't slip during the tuning.
Edge Pros = Amazing trems........ I think they're superior to OFR's.....
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
damn, are there any other Ibanez's or something other than the S series guitars with zero tolerance bridges?
no. but trust me, the S series is amazing. if they had a 24 fret neck, they would prolly be one of the best guitars ever. if you need info, ibanez has a forum on their website.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
doesnt it suck tho too have to cut off the ends of the strings, doesnt tha make it harder? it sounds like the edge pro is surpirior, those are what steve vai and joe satriani use arent they?
satch uses edge pro II and vai just normal, i dont know if there's a difference but yeah. Cutting off the ends of the string isnt too time consuming..but ****ty tremolos require lots of time to tune the guitar afterwards.
Quote by kh is my hero
doesnt it suck tho too have to cut off the ends of the strings, doesnt tha make it harder? it sounds like the edge pro is surpirior, those are what steve vai and joe satriani use arent they?

Their signature models have Edge Pro's right now, but I'm pretty sure they mostly use the original Edge or Lo-pro Edge bridges on their personal instruments, which are pretty much clones of FR as far as design goes. Someone correct me on that, if I'm wrong...

Quote by HermanForce
satch uses edge pro II and vai just normal, i dont know if there's a difference but yeah. Cutting off the ends of the string isnt too time consuming..but ****ty tremolos require lots of time to tune the guitar afterwards.

Oh no, EPII is a cheaper, worse version of EP for Korean Ibanez guitars. Satriani surely wouldn't use those just because Ibanez sticks them into the JS100
Last edited by pifty at Jul 26, 2006,
I've played both FR and EdgePro, and they feel pretty similar, the FR seems a bit looser though. Edgepro's are pretty good, there's some guys who swear by them, like Tom Morello (I think!?)

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
I've played both FR and EdgePro, and they feel pretty similar, the FR seems a bit looser though. Edgepro's are pretty good, there's some guys who swear by them, like Tom Morello (I think!?)

Morello has the original Edge bridge fitted into a number of his guitars. He seems to really like that one.
Quote by HermanForce

Satch does NOT use edge pro 2's........

He uses edge pros.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
my next guitar was ganna be one with an original floyd rose on it, but the whole cutting of the balls thing, does it make that much of a difference. shoud it affect my decision about buying the guitar with the ofr ? cus the edge pro sounds easier to use
Quote by kh is my hero
anyone?

Stringing up the Floyd Rose is tricky the first three times you do it. Then you get a hang of it, and it becomes instinctual. So don't choose your guitar based upon whether you need to cut off the ball ends to restring it, choose it by the way it plays, looks, and generally appeals to you.
Seriously, you SHOULD not worry about cutting ball ends on strings just to make you choose a decent trem. Its all preference, you should try it out. The feel on all the trems said may not be the same, Edge Pro (assuming that its the new 2003 version) has generally lower action than the OFR, so to some, it wont get in the way of your picking technique.

The ZR trem however uses ball bearings and series of springs as their anchor, so the "feel" of diving will be different from others. The OFR has normal feel, the default of all default, its general and very commonly used (LFR, patented by OFR with same design may be a bit different in dive feel, as the OFR may be smoother).

You should try it out, and not worrying about cutting the ball ends, coz its been ages since Floyd Rose type of bridge needs to cut the ball ends, it'll just take couple of seconds anyways just to cut it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i have the edge pro, it's quite different from an OFR, and has disadvantages and advantages. But overall, it is at least on par with a floyd rose.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"