Hi, not sure if this should go here or in the Electric Guitar forum, but anyway...

Can someone tell me
a) which of these two would be more effective at keeping a Strat in tune (I use my vibrato bar a lot...),
b) the rough price decent ones of each come at,
c) how difficult it is to install them and
d) recommended brands.

Thanks!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
id say a locking nut, the floyds cost like 40$ i think and im guessing 20$ or 30$ to install because it involves drilling into the neck
You don't really need a bunch of added on junk to keep a Strat style trem in tune. I have an old strat, and i have 5 springs in it and it never goes out of tune. Just make sure your string saddles and nut slots are clean and smooth.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
You don't really need a bunch of added on junk to keep a Strat style trem in tune. I have an old strat, and i have 5 springs in it and it never goes out of tune. Just make sure your string saddles and nut slots are clean and smooth.

if you use a lot of wammy bars and such clean smooth nuts and saddles will help but will not guarentee no string slipage. locking nuts roller nuts or locking tuners will really help
OK, thanks for the help.

I do have five springs tightened nearly all the way up and the nut's got graphite in it, but the tuning's still often a little way off on the high e and b.

id say a locking nut, the floyds cost like 40$ i think and im guessing 20$ or 30$ to install because it involves drilling into the neck

Thanks for the advice but I hate the tone/lack of tone you get on guitars with locking nuts, and I'm a bit of a tone freak Plus, I don't really want to be drilling holes in my guitar!

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
i use locking tuners for all of my guitars even the non trem ones, they work great. I reccomend Sperzels.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
what tone loss i dont notice tone loss with a Locking nut
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Whoever is suggesting a locking nut on a guitar without fine tuners at the bridge is smokign rope. That's a ridiculous idea, because you then have to release the lockign nut to tune your guitar.

A combination of lockign tuners and a roller nut would be the best option. The locking tuners will prevent any string slippage at the tuning post, and the roller nut will eliminate any resistance the string encounters at the nut. That will help with tuning a lot.

However, the only way you'll keep the guitar 100% in tune 100% of the time while using the trem is to also swap the trem for a locking model. This doesn't necessarily mean a Floyd though. Wilkinson make awesome Strat bridge that locks the strings at the bridge. Combine that with locking tuners and a roller nut and you'll have the tuning stability of a full Floyd Rose system,
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I think all you need is a good set of locking tuners. I have Schaller lockers, a Graphtech nut, and Graphtech saddles on my Strat, and it stays in tune very well. I know the Schaller bolt right up with the MIA strat since they put them on the deluxe, but I'm not positive about the MIM.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Syn Harvest
what tone loss i dont notice tone loss with a Locking nut

Yeah they do... It's 'coz a lot of what effects the tone comes from the way the strings vibrate slightly behind the nut, which is why six-a-side headstocks have string trees; the steeper the angle of the string over the nut, the better the tone. Guitars with locking nuts don't allow that vibration and so lose out on that aspect of the tone.

I may be completely wrong about that, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

But can the guitar still go out of tune from the trem even with locking tuners?
I heard that the strings will be slightly sharp after divebombing and slightly sharp after pulling it up. The way to fix it is to slam it the other way.