I am in the market for an amp and like both of these for the price.

I play mainly classic rock and blues, some hard rock but nothing harder than Metallica.

All the effects of the Vox might be fun to play with but in all honesty than only thing I really use that much is reverb, which the Jr. also has. I guess I was just wondering if either of these has signifcantly better tone for this type of music and any shortcomings I might want to look for when trying them out.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Blues JR

All tube and perfect for your styles, maybe a pedal for your metallica.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
tube is the way to go for any legitimate guitarist.

anything less is a joke.
Quote by Playdoh14
tube is the way to go for any legitimate guitarist.

anything less is a joke.

I guess B.B. King is a joke
Quote by keeponrockin
ALL TUBE>HYBRID/SOLID STATE

End of discussion.

it may own....but it sounds best cranked

so unless you would be rocking out on stage for your life

just stay with the Solid state for low volumes
Blues Jr+ overdrive pedal=
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Agreed. If practise is all you're gonna need it for - solidstate/hybrid.

If you think you'll be gigging and/or jamming with other musicians at reasonably high volumes go tube.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Vantage
but SS would be better if it he would be playing at low volumes only

But the Blues Jr has a master volume, so you can overdrive the tubes and then reduce the overall volume. Problem solved

DEFINITELY the blues jr.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Not the powertubes tho, just the preamp ones. But I admit the Blues Junior does sound tasty at low volumes (I haven't even tried it at high volumes).

There are however some tube amps you should avoid if you're mainly using it for low volume practise as they really don't get going until there's powertube breakup. JCM800 for example.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by yeahyeah
I guess B.B. King is a joke

Why?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Because he uses/used solid states.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Because he uses/used solid states.

Probably some high-end solid-states that would blow the Jr out of the park though.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
^ Some discontinued Gibson amp I've heard.

Mainly for the really high clean headroom they have. I'm sure the tone is pretty nice too tho
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
^ Some discontinued Gibson amp I've heard.

Mainly for the really high clean headroom they have. I'm sure the tone is pretty nice too tho

Yup.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Alright, fanboys...

I'll start this by saying I have both an all-tube Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. To just say "JUST GIT THE TOOB CUZ ITS BETER!!!111!!1!" is idiotic. Obviously you're not paying attention and just jumping on the tube bandwagon. Your "advice" is nearly useless.

After owning a AD30VT, I would say that the AD50VT and the AD100VT are the only low-end Valvetronix amps worth considering. The speaker is much better since it's a Celestion. The stock speaker in the Blues Jr. has come under some criticism. It also won't have the same projection because it's small, even though it is a tube amp. For any type of quality distortion with a Blues Jr., you'll need an overdrive pedal. If you want to have the same variety as you get with the modelling amp, you'll need a couple pedals. The bad part about Valvetronix amps is that the onboard effects sound fake, and they don't take to external fx that well.

Now here's the practical differences: a Blues Jr. won't be suitable for gigging at anything but a small venue. An AD50VT will have pretty much as much volume, but more presence and a bigger sound due to the bigger speaker. Also you have to think about the cost. You're comparing a $350 solid state modeling amp to a $500-600 small tube amp, and you'll have to invest about another $100 in a quality overdrive pedal to get it to get the sounds you want. If you said you just played straight blues, I'd say "Blues Jr." without hesitation, but it's a bit of a one-trick pony unless it has some help.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong about the speaker size. Oh well. And the price, so you're probably going to spend a total of $500 or so for a Blues Jr. and a good overdrive or distortion pedal, vs. about $420 for the Valvetronix with the footswitch.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 27, 2006,
^ I agree with most of what you've said. But I believe the AD50 and the Blues Junior both have 12" speakers. The Vox has a slightly bigger cabinet - would this make much difference?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
The cab would effect the amount of bass. But I wasn't aware they had the same speaker.
Hi, I'm Peter
Also, aren't Blues Juniors $400 in most places?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Also, aren't Blues Juniors $400 in most places?

Ok...I was going by list price, which is $569. And yep, the 15w version does have a 12" speaker.
Hi, I'm Peter
Awesome cheap overdrive = Arion Tubulator
No need to spend $100 on a tube screamer, unless you are abusive to your pedels.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I've been wondering about the Blues JR too. How well does it take to multi-fx, or pedals in general? I don't need anything with fancy modelling or inbuilt effects, but that has a really nice tone to compliment my current equipment, so I decided to look into this. Anyone got any ideas how well it'd do?

Also, is it loud enough to jam with others, and possibly a drummer?
Last edited by Vermintide at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently

Now here's the practical differences: a Blues Jr. won't be suitable for gigging at anything but a small venue.

Mic it?
I was seriously considering buying the Blues Jr but I am not gigging or jamming (at least not yet) and will only be using it for practice, I'm starting to have second thoughts now that everyone is saying that there not that great unless they are turned up loud. Do you think I should still get one?
It depends on the sound you're looking for really. I tried a Blues Junior at low volumes and thought it was very nice. Lovely warm, fat cleans and if you crank the pre-volume and activate the fat switch you've got a very nice useable overdrive at low volumes.

Cranking the master volume will give you a bit more gain which you may or may not need depending on what music you play (you've probably said, but I can't be arsed to go onto the 1st page)

Edit - Just realised you weren't the threadstarter.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by SamDking
It depends on the sound you're looking for really. I tried a Blues Junior at low volumes and thought it was very nice. Lovely warm, fat cleans and if you crank the pre-volume and activate the fat switch you've got a very nice useable overdrive at low volumes.

Cranking the master volume will give you a bit more gain which you may or may not need depending on what music you play (you've probably said, but I can't be arsed to go onto the 1st page)

Edit - Just realised you weren't the threadstarter.

Yes, thats exactly what Im looking for, a nice fat rich clean tone with not much distortion. So your saying the blues jr is a good pick?
Yeh definitely. But you've gotta try it first to make sure, there's always a chance it isn't for you. I would describe the overdrive as a Strokes kind of sound if you're into that.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by tarheelfan2
Yes, thats exactly what Im looking for, a nice fat rich clean tone with not much distortion. So your saying the blues jr is a good pick?

For your application, I would also say the Blues Jr.
Hi, I'm Peter
You can get around that. Crank the amp then use your guitar's volume control as your master volume. More power will be going through your tubes. It'll sound livelier. This, of course, is if you don't suffer any loss of treble when you use your master volume. That's what I do for great low volume cleans on my Boogie. For distortion it won't work, but I never liked Fender distortions much anyway. Might want to get some sort of booster.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You can get around that. Crank the amp then use your guitar's volume control as your master volume. More power will be going through your tubes. It'll sound livelier. This, of course, is if you don't suffer any loss of treble when you use your master volume. That's what I do for great low volume cleans on my Boogie. For distortion it won't work, but I never liked Fender distortions much anyway. Might want to get some sort of booster.

The Blues Jr has a master volume and channel volume, so you could just crank one up and keep the other low, rather than using the volume control. I tried that (using the volume knob) at the guitar shop the other day and quite a bit of the "oomph" went from the tone.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah, with gain it doesn't work because your guitar's volume acts more like a gain control than a volume knob. With my Strat I have a lot of success with that trick on cleans, though. Very bright and lively with the volume set on 2 or 3, and then more as you turn up. With my PRS, not so much, since the volume control robs some treble as you turn it down. But that's another thing he could try, though I think he's lose some of the preamp distortion. Oh well... The moral of the story is there's no substitute for being able to crank the damn thing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Definitely the blues junior... it is damn loud too. Probably louder than the ad50.
IMO, you'd regret buying the ad50 down the line when you could have had a really nice tube amp for a similar price.

Have fun with the new amp

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I am going to have to try the Blues Jr. at low volumes. That was my main issue with it. I live in a condo so I can't always play real loud. And I know The Vox had an adjustable power load. But the Blues JR is the smallest wattage tube amp with a decent referral rate I could find. I guess I am just going to have to go to Guitar Center and play with them.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Cool. Good luck. Just let your ears decide. Whether it's tube or solid state is irrelevant if you don't like it
Hi, I'm Peter