I'm going to buy a set of EMG 81 and 85 humbuckers for my guitar. I was wondering if any of you could advise me on the best configuration for them like which is better in the neck position and which in the bridge.

Keep in mind I play heavy metal on a yamaha ERG 121 which is a strat with an agathis body and a maple neck. Also what do you think of an 85 and a 60 in combination since am kinda lookin at other set ups as well and also keep in mind I multi style that is to say sometimes I do the lead sometimes I do the rythm.

Thanks peoples
Hey! I have that guitar! And I'd suggest 81/60 set. The 60 is good for cleans and warm rhythms, while the 81 is good for a lead tone.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
Kirk plays a dual 81 combination(directed to Jessew, as well.)

I know that James Hetfield has an 81/60 combo.

I really don't like two 81s... *shudders* Zakk Wylde and Kerry King also favor 81/85 combos.
Last edited by Fargalas at Jul 26, 2006,
i have emghz and i like them...they are on my schecter damien fr
can we get back to subject lol? which is best in ure opinion and which positions should they go in please
81 bridge 60 neck im a fan of matt heafy and i like the way they sound so...yea....you know who matt heafy is right....
omg why did I bother? I dont care bout who uses the dam pick ups a was just a little more concerned bout where u best think they should be on the guitar, wish ad never asked now
Quote by sajuuk
omg why did I bother? I dont care bout who uses the dam pick ups a was just a little more concerned bout where u best think they should be on the guitar, wish ad never asked now

EMG 81/60; 60 in neck, 81 in bridge = awesome
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
^^^ Indeed. The 81 is a bridge pickup, and the 85 is a neck really. Never used a 60, but emg's website says it is more of a rhythm pickup, which generally you would want in the neck.

To sum up, the 81 is definitely a BRIDGE pickup.
Quote by axe_grinder247
meatwad>chuck norris
Thanx, that sums it up just a little better, rythms in the neck, lead in the bridge, thanx lol
I didn't really like the 81 in the bridge when I played it, too trebly. It's only because Zakk Wylde uses 81 bridge, 85 neck that everyone sees it as "the" EMG combination. Some people think 85s are great in the bridge, but 81s are pants as a neck pickup.

So you could also go 85 bridge, 60 neck.

Oh by the way, what amp are you playing through? Because unless you have an awesome tube amp, those EMGs will make very little difference, especially in agathis.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Its far from being a tube amp am afraid, its a Marshall MG30DFX (30 watts) Decent but considering its use din my room atm but not a tube, , , wot affect that have?
1. It's complete bullshìt that you need a tube amp for EMGs to sound good. As long as they're paired with correct woods, they will sound excellent. I'm speaking from almost 19 years experience as an EMG user, and not repearing hearsay from forums. That being said...

2. I wouldn't suggest any EMG for an agathis guitar, regardless of the EMG model or amp. EMGs will turn your low end to mud and make your high end fuzzy. IMO, unless your guitar is made of solid mahogany, maple, ash, or maple neck thru with alder body wings, EMGs aren't the best choice and you'd be better off with good passive pickups.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
in that case what would you recommend as a decent set of humbuckers for my guitar? Keeping in mind I want the kind of sound you'd generally expect from heavy metal, cause at this rate I think i might just screw it all get the emg's anyway and use em till a got a new guitar to put them in (heading for a jackson RR5)
Quote by sajuuk
in that case what would you recommend as a decent set of humbuckers for my guitar? Keeping in mind I want the kind of sound you'd generally expect from heavy metal, cause at this rate I think i might just screw it all get the emg's anyway and use em till a got a new guitar to put them in (heading for a jackson RR5)

Save for a good guitar w/ EMGs?

ESP x400+ series all come stock w/ EMGs and are very nice.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Save for a good guitar w/ EMGs?

ESP x400+ series all come stock w/ EMGs and are very nice.

+1

That would be a better option. Or get a good set of passive pickups. I would recommend a Duncan Custom or Distortion for the bridge, and 59 or Jazz for the neck.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

none of the ones I want which is either a Jackson RR5 or Maverick F-1 come equiped with EMG's and am not too keen on ESP unless you know if they have a flying V design of some sort?. I know I could just fit them with some afterward but till then I need something that can give a nice metal tone from the guitar I have atm, Cause its a good £400 for the cheapest of the above mentioned guitars. 600 for the RR5
The only worthy Vs that ESP produce in this price range are the Mustaine sig V (DV8R) and the Alexi Laiho V. The DV8R has Duncan JB / Jazz (which sound awesome) and the Laiho V comes with a single EMG-HZ H4 pickup. There's a 200-model DV as well, but it's agathis, so I wouldn't touch that.

seems to be sumin against agathis in general here,,,,whats really that bad about it? Am guessing its not exactly the best tone wood in the world or sumin lol
Just for kicks, visit guitar manufacturers' sites and read their guitar specs. Notice that you only find agathis in the bottom-of-the-barrel models. Examples of this are most Squiers, sub-300 series LTD, Sub NJ-series BC Rich, etc....

They don't make high end guitars out of it because its tonal properties aren't very good. But it's a cheap and plentiful wood. Its relatively soft for a hardwood, making it easy to cut and shape (easier on their tools). That's why so many low end guitars are made of this wood.

ooooo so in summary, its a load of crap lol

I'll keep that in mind, hows bout alder, mahogony or basswood, i hear good stuff bout those woods.
Been looking around and wondering what do you think to bare knuckle pick ups? fink they'ed get any good outa agathis?
Basswood is a good wood, as long as it's high quality basswood. Otherwise, it's ok at best. Low grade basswood is also cheap and plentiful, and is found in many low end guitars. Ibanez are really the only guitar big manufacturer that use basswood in their high end guitars. I still find EMGs sound very muddy, even in high end basswood Ibanez.

Alder is a good wood. Like basswood, there are different grades. Many low end guitars are made out of alder, as are many high end guitars from various manufacturers. They tend to produce an awesome lead tone, although I don't like their rhythm tones as much. I only like like EMGs in alder if it's a maple neck thru or the guitar has a thick enough maple top. On its own, alder has a really loose low end, and that doesn't jive well with EMGs either. Enough maple on the body will override the looseness with the maple's tight, percussive low end.

Mahogany is the premium wood for EMGs. If you look at the majority of ESP and LTD guitars that come with EMGs, they're made of mahogany or mahogany and maple. The tight low end and chunky midrange of mahogany meshed perfectly with EMG pickups.

81/85 zakk wylde and EVERY ONE ELSE
81/81 kirk hammet
HZ4 alexi laiho
81/60 me
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Quote by Andrewsonfire
81/85 zakk wylde and EVERY ONE ELSE
81/81 kirk hammet
HZ4 alexi laiho
81/60 me

81/60 - James Hetfield, Mick Thompson, Jim Root, and many, many others... including myself...

Quote by timi_hendrix

Oh by the way, what amp are you playing through? Because unless you have an awesome tube amp, those EMGs will make very little difference, especially in agathis.

Wrong, you dont need a tube amp to get a good tone outta EMG's. Just not a ****ty 30watt MG or some bull**** like that.
81 in the bridge, and 85 in the neck is the best sounding set-up. You can also replace the 81 with a 60 if that floats your boat.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
81 in the bridge, and 85 in the neck is the best sounding set-up. You can also replace the 81 with a 60 if that floats your boat.

The 60 is definately NOT a good choice for the bridge unless your main focus is jazz or blues. Now at the neck, it makes an awesome pickup for cleans. In the bridge, it sucks ass for rock or metal. And 95+% of the time, when people want EMGs, it's for metal.

Been following suggestions on this thread and was wondering how about a pair of SH-6 duncan distortion pick ups? Apparantly their passive and sound like they have a nice bite to their tone, what you think? (remember the agathis ol)