alright I know a bit about theory, but not enough...

Now i know Major scale is Ionian... but is there one specific scale thats a Minor scale (besides the minor pentitonic) or does it depend on what key your playing in etc.?
Theres three different types of Minor scale i think (correct me if I'm wrong). The harmonic minor, melodic minor and the last mode of the major scale... aeolian i think... cant remember lol. someone who knows more will correct me, im trying to learn these things as well.
yessir its aeolian....its the 6th mode of a major scale....so if you're in C major, the sixth is A, so A aeolian has all the same notes as C Ionian.....hope that helps
yes, there are three types of minor scales (not including modes). first is the natural minor (also known as the aeolian) which has (in respect to the major scale) a flat third, sixth, and seventh
example:
in the key of a the major scale includes the notes A B C# D E F# G#, while A minor (aeolian) has ABCDEFG
next in line is the harmonic minor, which has a flat third and sixth
example:
in the key of A, the notes are A B C# D E F# G#, the A harmonic minor scale would have the notes A B C D E F G#
the final minor scale is called the melodic minor, which has only a flat third
example:
in A, the major scale is A B C# D E F# G#, and the melodic minor is A B C D E F# G#

i hope this helps you out, it usto confuse me, and i hope you dont get even more confused by the way that i explained it.

edit: sorry for going crazy overboard on this whole thing... hahaha
Last edited by Icas at Jul 26, 2006,
no, thank you that helped. many times i remeber my guitar teacher saying C was the relative minor of A.. which the way you explained it makes sence with A aeolian would be C Major... i think that made sence.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
no, thank you that helped. many times i remeber my guitar teacher saying C was the relative minor of A.. which the way you explained it makes sence with A aeolian would be C Major... i think that made sence.

Im glad that i could help out
It would be A is the relative minor to C, but I think you just typed it wrong.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $