What are the best multi effects units for around $400 USD? I want LOTS of different effects, but I don't want them to sound like sh*t. I want them to sound as close as possible to regular pedals as well.

I've heard good things about the Line 6 POD XT Live. Is this a good option, or are there better units out there?

Thanks.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I really like my Korg Toneworks AX3000G. I can really get some good tones out of it. The effects sound good to me and so do the amp models. If you send me a sound clip to many different amps or overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, I can get a setting to sound pretty close to that. It has the Vox V847 and V848 wahs, but I also found a perfect setting for a Crybaby wah. I filled up all of the preset spots with awsome presets I made. If you want the sound clip for a crazy good extremely heavy sound I can get, tell me and I will send you it.
How many effects does it have on it? How many amp models? Also, have you compared it to other multi effect units in the same price range?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ok, I looked it up not only on Korg's site, but also Musician's Friend. I like the look of it, the effects it has and especially the price, but the reviews I read seem to be hit or miss. Some people love it, while others despise it. How are the amp models on it? There aren't a ton of them, but are they really good, or just average?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I like my Digitech GNX3000 alot, most people here don't really like Digitech tho, apart from the whammy. I've heard great things about the Line 6, and the GT-8.
So far I've heard good things about these;

Line 6 PODXT Live
Boss GT-8
Korg Toneworks AX3000G

I'm going to go look up the Digitech right now.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
do you want something you can record with and use as a silent practice/workstation type thing, or are you only looking for effects? If it's only fx, you could get a TC G-Major, which is an excellent rack fx processor, and will probably sound better than any floorboard unit.

If you want the workstation, the only ones I have experience with are the Podxtl and GNX4. I have both, and I really like the GNX4. It has a built in 8 track recorder, Midi drum machine, built in mic preamp with phantom power, balanced and unbalanced outputs and line level inputs to use with rack fx, built in Whammy pedal, and built in Jamman looper. It's packed with stuff. The fx are decent, and you can get some great metal tones from it. The presets are "ok", but you really need to make or download patches to get the best sounds. Luckily, there are a lot available online, and GW has a section in the back each month with GNX settings to use with their tabs. The fx are decent, but I like the interface better on the Podxtl. I use the software on my computer to configure my patches, and you can use the hard drive to record. The only warning about this unit, you NEED to read the manual to get the most out of it. This isn't really a plug and play unit if you want to use all it's features. It really can do a lot, all in the I/O can be routed to different parts, thru fx, clean, DI, etc.. The unit can also be used for reamping, which is something I haven't done with it yet, but I've read up on it and plan to try it out soon. If you want to just record using only the unit, you can use a Compact Flash card(I use 1GB) to store songs, patches, mp3s, and your own recordings all on the card, and work with the 8 track recorder. This way, you don't even need to hook it up to a computer to record.

The Line6 can get some great tones too, but you really need to get the add on packs with it to get the most out of it. The FX, classic, and Metal packs really add a lot of functionality. They are $50 a piece though, but the live comes with one already. It's very easy to use also, the interface is very intuitive, it's really a plug and play device compared to the GNX. The amp models are the real strength of the Pod IMO. I like the amp models better for getting closer to the real amps. The FX are decent though, and it has some good software to use with the computer to configure stuff(guitarport). The ablility to move your mic around, change cabs, etc., really give it a lot of functionality for recording directly with it. There are drum tracks available for recording if you purchase their Riffworks recording software, and it's really easy to make loops. It doesn't come with it's own recording software however, you have to either guy their riffworks, or use a free one.

The GNX4 is a more money than the Pod, but to get the same features from the Podxtl, it's more money. After the packs, recording software, riffworks for drumtracks, seperate mic preamp, looper, etc., the pod begins to add up cash fast.

If I were going strictly for recording directly from the device as my only purpose, I would probably go with the Line6. I like the amp models more, so I would prefer it for recording. If you want to use it as both, for recording the unit's fx or your actual amp, and using it for fx with your amp, I would use the GNX.

I'm probably going to sell the PodXTL next month. I've been auditioning the GNX4 for about a month, and it does so much stuff, I don't think I'm going to get rid of it. I got it cheap to sell and make some profit, but I've decided to keep it, and sell the PODXTL instead. I have some clips on my dmusic page http://erock503.dmusic.com using the PodXTL as the only device, the GNX4 as the only device, and the GNX4 mic preamp recording my actual amps directly on the CF card, listed at the bottom. Everything should be labeled. The playing isn't great, but hopefully you can get an idea of the difference. I've only used audacity, and it's been the same guitars.

just make sure you play everything you can before you make your decision. Also make sure you audition them with good headphones, good headphones make a HUGE difference when you are just playing with the units. I have the Senheiser HD280 pros, and the are excellent. I've found the GNX4 on recordings sounds more like what it sounds like thru the headphones, while the PODXT sounds 100x better on my headphones than the actual recordings. That could be something about my USB interface or something with my machine though. I used only the CF card for the GNX4 clips. Good luck man,
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Are you looking for amp and cab modeling as well, or just effects?

Personally here's my future rig: (I'm not a tube fanatic, I think this setup will be perfect for a hobbyist/moderate gigger/recording guitarist).

(New guitar upgrade, not applicable to you. :P)
Boss GT-8 (I hear it's the best MFX unit on the market besides the GT-Pro, but you can't use that live.)
Some sort of FRFR amp. (Keyboard amp, portable PA)

The reason for the keyboard/PA amp is that MFX sound best through them. If you plug headphones into it, you'll get a nice sound and be like damn, that sounds amazing! Hook it up to your amp, and you get a colored sound due to the preamp. The sound changes. With a keyboard amp (I'm looking into a Roland KC-350 or a Tech 21 Power engine 60), you get the same sound you hear from the headphones.

Hope I helped a bit. Cheap, great setup in my opinion. Plus, whenever you have a gig that has a house PA (99.9% of the time), you can just run out to that. If there isn't a house PA, I doubt you'll need more power than in the amp you bought. (You'll get the same tone as your keyboard/PA amp, you can just use it as a monitor. )
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I'm looking mainly for effects and amp models. Recording would just be a bonus, but it's not a requirement. I want the get the highest grade effects possible, and if I have to sacrifice the recording stuff for that, it's not a big deal to me. I don't do a ton of recording anyway. I don't like the TC G-major because it's not a pedal board, which is what I'm really looking for. I should have been more specific with the title. Thanks anyway.

I looked up the digitech and it looks good as well. So now I have four that all look good to choose from. Which do you guys think is the best for what I want? I really just want lots of amp models, and TONS of effects with good control over them. Whichever will get me that is what I'll go with.

So which one?

Line 6 PODXT Live
Boss GT-8
Korg Toneworks AX3000G
Digitech GNX3000
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
www.bossgtcentral.com

There's soundclips of the GT-8 somewhere.

I didn't like the GNX3 by the way. I sent mine back when I got it. :/

EDIT:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/gt8sounds.php

There you go, just in case you're having trouble finding it.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Jul 27, 2006,
If you want the highest grade fx, I would get the TC G-Major. The G-Major has a built in midi interface, so any midi controller/pedalboard will work with it. I use the GNX4 or the PODXTL to control all the channel/mast vol switching on my amp. My amp has a built in mid interface, so I just set the amp, set it to look for a signal, and then send it the signal. Anytime it sees that signal again, it recalls those settings. That simple. I've seen some cheap behringer midi floorboard controllers on ebay.

I'm also wondering why you want amp models if you aren't recording? Are you planning to use them with an amp, or is this just for practice? I saw your amp threads, so I figured you were getting a new amp. Have you decided on which amp yet?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I decided just to stick with the MG for now. I'll upgrade later this year/early next year. I want the amp models for some more versatility. The thing I want most is a huge array of sounds to make use of.

As for getting the G-major and an extra pedalboard, that would be a lot more than I'd like to spend. I don't use Ebay, so getting a good deal there is out. I'd rather just get a unit that I don't need to buy more stuff for just to be able to use it how I want. I'll be using this for practicing and eventually using it in a band and for recording with the band. The recording part isn't extremely necessary now though, as I can always get good quality recording equipment later. Really, for now I'll be using it for practice and hopefully soon, band practice. Which of the four I listed would be best for that?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Erock503
If you want the highest grade fx, I would get the TC G-Major. The G-Major has a built in midi interface, so any midi controller/pedalboard will work with it. I use the GNX4 or the PODXTL to control all the channel/mast vol switching on my amp. My amp has a built in mid interface, so I just set the amp, set it to look for a signal, and then send it the signal. Anytime it sees that signal again, it recalls those settings. That simple. I've seen some cheap behringer midi floorboard controllers on ebay.

I'm also wondering why you want amp models if you aren't recording? Are you planning to use them with an amp, or is this just for practice? I saw your amp threads, so I figured you were getting a new amp. Have you decided on which amp yet?

I actually planned on getting one of these. I very new to rack gear so how much would it cost for a controller that can do lets say, two channels of effects and bypass.
Honestly Xenn, I think you'd be much happier taking that $400, and adding it to the $375 for your MG, then saving a couple hundred and getting something really nice. Especially if you are planning to play with a band. I've owned the MG100DFX, and I didn't like how it sounded with the Podxtl. I could get "ok" sounds at low volumes, but for something like band practice, it sounded pretty bad. I tried in front and on the loop, and it was better on the loop, but not enough. I think the multi's are great practice and idea/song recorders, but a rack fx or boutique pedals are going to pwn any of them.

That said, I've only used the podxtl, but it's a great unit. I've heard some great recordings from it, and I've seen it used live with good results. It can sound decent used on the fx loop for modulation/time based stuff like reverb, chorus,delay, etc.., and it also works well as a preamp for a straight up poweramp like a rack unit. It also does have settings to change it's voicing if you want to run it in front of your amp. Lots of great amp models, good fx, easy to use, and they update stuff pretty regularly.

Quote by Vomitorator
I actually planned on getting one of these. I very new to rack gear so how much would it cost for a controller that can do lets say, two channels of effects and bypass.

just a quick look at musiciansfriend for a small one, Im not sure that would do exactly what you want though. You also have to remember, units like the G-Major with a midi thru, will allow that same command to also controll any other device you put on the midi chain.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-MIDI-Mouse?sku=704450
but I would look on eBay, just search for midi (footcontroller,foot controller).
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by Erock503

just a quick look at musiciansfriend for a small one, Im not sure that would do exactly what you want though. You also have to remember, units like the G-Major with a midi thru, will allow that same command to also controll any other device you put on the midi chain.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-MIDI-Mouse?sku=704450
but I would look on eBay, just search for midi (footcontroller,foot controller).

I'm a little out-of-it i have fx loop button on my big foot. so bypass isnt an issue. lol. I'm a total idiot.

ps- Your rig pwns!
Last edited by Vomitorator at Jul 27, 2006,