so my crappy walmart guitar broke and i got a new one. what i want to know is if there is a way to take the pickups out of it and put them in my acoustic. any help is appreciated.
I'm thinking about doing that for my acoustic. You would have to mount the pickup on the guitar. Use pots (a volume, or volume and tone) and wire it to an output jack. Plus ground it somewhere. It'd be a little tricky doing the wiring inside the guitar becuse you cant see what you are doing, you'd have to wire it up and then put it inside the guitar.

Heres what you do:

figure out where you want the pickup (check inside the guitar to make sure its a place where there are no braces) cut the hole and drill screw holes on either side for the mounting screws. Take the hot wire (no the ground wire) and wire it to the volume pot. Wire this to the tone pot. wire that to an output jack (put the appropriate groundings. As for the where the bridge ground would be on a normal guitar you could just put a screw under the bridge. Since the bridge is wood you dont need to ground it.)

Use this diagram just use a single coil instead of a humbucker.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_h011_01
Last edited by livrockdie at Aug 26, 2006,
Okay, I finished but theres a little un wanted noise when not playing. Theres no way to ground to bridge (thats the problem) So I grounded everything to the output jack. That got rid of a LOT of feedback. But its not a clean sound. What should I do?
well ive seen guys try to ground to a screw.
not that u should start screwing into ur guitar but just see about adding a wire somewhere.

and i wonder what u mean by the sound not being clean. what pickup and amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Right now I'm using a ten watt.

I just stuck a single coil and a volume controll in it. The volume has a treble bleed mod on it. Its basically an on off switch for me at this point. I took the knob off of it, it dosent stand out as much without it. I dont like the focus of the guitar to be on the knob. At first I had a warsher on the end of the ground wire and that didnt work so I dont see how a screw in the body would be any different. I tried touching the wire to one of the strings before I settled on that configuration but it didnt work out. Theres gotta be a way to do it. How did John Lennon (I think thats the guy that put a single coil in his acoustic first) do it!? I looked online for wiring diagrams and didnt find any. So I modified schematics for electric guitars.
i think they attached them to strap pegs, maybe having to do wt the strap. hang on i saw an article on this, lemme see if i can find it. if i do ill repost.

i think he weaved a wire thru the strap. that sounds redic tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Are you trying to make your acoustic guitar sound like an electric? Or are you simply trying to put a pickup in your acoustic?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Just trying to amplify the acoustic. But I decided to use a single coil pickup. I figured it would give a good sound. It sounds good besides the sound when I stop playing. Thats the grounding issue. I put electric strings on it. (its a steel string guitar so acoustic strings would work but I'm out of them at the moment. They broke in a tragic wall hanger malfunction. Thats why I got the nerve to start drilling and cutting on this guitar. Its my only acoustic but its pretty cheap. I got it on 90$ on sale )
well i cant seem to find the article. but i know u can probably get shielding foil, line the inside and run grounds from the pot and pup.

i remember the guy ran his jack thru his bottom peg then added something to the strap to help with ground it. sounds silly tho.

it could also be the pickups placement in the soundhole, the guitar cable. maybe the cable should be the best possible, and outside dimmers and computers should be turned off because its going to be extra sensitive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I am sitting next to a computer when I play it. The Pickup is right next to the bridge, thats the only way I could get it without cutting through braces (which I imagine wouldve been hard using a boxcutter and a drill like I did)
okay, when I touch the pot the feedback reduces a lot. But the pot is metal. I guess I dont fully understand grounding so could someone throw me a bone here?
I think its the fact that I'm using an electric guitar amp. I just ran it straight to my computer (guitar cable, 1/4in. to mono adapter) and it sounded perfect. At least I know its good for recording. Plus I can plug it straight into a PA at open mic night. (havent played one yet but my friends dad runs one)
is the pickup grounded?? that might be causing the feedback,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ya, but I had to ground it to the output jack becuse there is no way to ground it to a bridge.
if the strings are magnetized but not grounded they will pick up radio interference. and a single single coil pick up lots of crap. if you just want to amplify the acoustic sound you should probably just mount a piezo pickup in the soundhole. that will eliminate the need to magnetgize the strings and should eliminate most of the issues associated with single coils in non-humbucking configurations.
ya, I wish I would've thought of that before I chopped a hole in my guitar. Maybe I'll put both when I get one (toggle switch or something.)