Alright, I have a slight problem I noticed when pulling off in certain areas of my guitar. I'm assuming because it's only on certain frets that it's a problem with my guitar rather than a universal problem.

When I do a 7p6 on the G String, I get a ringing sound. I figured it was just bad sustain or whatever, but I found out when I dampen the EA and D strings, it actually goes away and the note sustains fairly well (For an Epi SG Special, anyway).

I was wondering if you had to dampen strings when soloing on all guitars, or is my guitar just junk?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Are you 100% sure you're not accidentally knocking another string when you do that pulloff?
Yes, 100% sure.

I made sure of that multiple times.

It only happens in certain spots. Like, I can 4p3 on the b string and no ringing.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Basic physics, if that string is vibrating at the same frequency, most likely other strings will pick up that frequency. Lets say you're plucking an A note, the top A string may vibrate as the frequencies are the same. You can even try plucking one note on the G,B or E strings, and then mute the string, notice that its not quiet coz other strings vibrate too. Mostly strings that needs dampening or muting are the top 3 strings, the low E, A and G coz they pick up and vibrate easier rather than the bottom 3 strings.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Basic physics, if that string is vibrating at the same frequency, most likely other strings will pick up that frequency. Lets say you're plucking an A note, the top A string may vibrate as the frequencies are the same. You can even try plucking one note on the G,B or E strings, and then mute the string, notice that its not quiet coz other strings vibrate too. Mostly strings that needs dampening or muting are the top 3 strings, the low E, A and G coz they pick up and vibrate easier rather than the bottom 3 strings.

He's right! I just got a new guitar today, (okay new/used, but it was my cousin's. Deal with it you mothers.) and it does that. Trust me. He's right. I figured it out fast enough... Oddly enough, neither my Strat, nor my bass, not even my cheap Bently do that. Only the $1500 Ibanez... Wierd...
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
I agree with mad picking.

It's really annoying when im pulling of 9p8 on the G string and suddenly it sounds way out of tune, but thats because the E string vibrated, and i made a maj7th double stop
Alright, I'll get more used to muting the strings then.

Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220