Hey UG........

Anyways i was just wondering if a Marshal VS100 Head would be loud enough and gig worthy. I play in a 4 piece band and my other guitarists uses a Crate 350w SS Head and i was wondering if i would be able to be heard over the drums because my 120w Crate isnt cutting it. We play heavy stuff like morbid angel, deicide, old man's child and whatnot. One of my other friends owns 2 marshall heads a JCM2000 DSL100 and the VS100. Iv'e played the head before (my freinds) but im buying mine off ebay. My drummer insists that just because it has lower watts then my crate then that would mean im making a bad decision but ive seen my friend gig with it just fine. Im confused .

Marshall VS100 Head- Loud enough over double bassing blast beats?

My crate head is a 120w GFX1200H and sounds nasty when turned up to high but i think the marshall will do just fine............right?

I need opinion and facts please...................
Well, Death used Marshall Valvestate 8100s. They're pretty decent SS heads. It is loud enough to get over blast beats. It benifits from a good cab though, upgrading from your Crate cab would be wise.

Also, watts don't matter as much as you think.
Quote by electrik
Well, Death used Marshall Valvestate 8100s. They're pretty decent SS heads. It is loud enough to get over blast beats. It benifits from a good cab though, upgrading from your Crate cab would be wise.

Also, watts don't matter as much as you think.

1. Death rules; Chuck rules
2. My cab is a peavey not sure what model its not too bad
3. Ive tried so many times to get through my drummers head about the wattage thing.
Who the **** is your DRUMMER to tell you what gear to use? Thank god my drummer isn't a total idiot like many others I've encountered.
1. he never said anythign about them not ruling
2. dont judge gear by the brand. ever. period.
3. buy what the **** you want. tell him to screw a goat.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
i wouldnt say hes an idiot trying to tell me what to use i think its more like uneducated who doesnt know jack **** about anything.
Ive already purchased the head via Ebay. I made the payment today and should be here by next week or so. Even if it isnt loud enough id rather have an amp that sounds good or decent than a 350w loudass amp that sounds like caca.

[EDIT] BTW im not judging gear just by brand. Ive actually played this head at my freind davids house and loved it. That lucky bitch also has 2 1960 cabs along with a JCM2000 JCM100
Last edited by Silent_Scream1 at Jul 27, 2006,
They're nice amps, I've tried a Valvestate before, didn't sound like other SS Marshalls at all.

And yea they'll overpower drums.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
buy some good earplugs while you are at it. 350 watts tends to be related to early hearing loss.
Its definitly loud enough!!!!! I'd save a little more and buy a mesa though. I have a VS100 and its probably the closest thing to a valve amp.... but you will always want better gear so save up and buy exactly what you want the first time!
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
your other guitarist has a 350 WATT SS AMP!!!?? That is unnecessarily power and if your band thinks that a 120 watt SS amp isn't cutting in then you guys need to turn wayyyy down. I can only imagine how the mix sounds in a live setting. 120 watts is more than you'll ever need. If you want a new amp get it because you want an update in your tone, not because you think you need more power because, trust me, you don't. Tell your band that you all need to turn down. And try to mic your instruments for gigs.

The VS100 would be fine. I had a GFX1200h too and the 2nd distortion channel was definately iffy in regards to tone when cranked.
jesus !! 350W !??

My Marshall JCM 800 50W is more than loud enough to make the drums drown...
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
First off. His 350 watt ss amp is probably right on par with a 50 watt tubed marshall as far as volume is concerned.

If you want loudness there are tons of things you can do. Your VS will be loud enough as long as you get efficient speakers, in a good cab. Closed back cabs are louder (all sound moves forward)

The loudest celestion speaker out there is the Celestion Century. It is 102 db of sound when it has 1 watt of power. The standard speaker that comes stock in new marshall cabs and crate cabs etc... are 99db with 1 watt of power.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
3 db DIFFERENCE IN SOUND IS LIKE DOUBLING YOUR WATTAGE!
That is fact. So just getting efficient speakers will help a TON.

I mean it... your valvestate and a 212 closed back cabinet with 2 celestion centuries will cut through the mix... I promise

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Quote by JahJahwarrior
buy some good earplugs while you are at it. 350 watts tends to be related to early hearing loss.

...not really...

Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
jesus !! 350W !??

My Marshall JCM 800 50W is more than loud enough to make the drums drown...

Because your JCM800 is a tube amp.

Wattage plays a SMALL roll in the volume world.