Hi everyone, I need some advice. I am currently debating wheter or not I should have my bass defretted or if I should buy a new fretless bass. The bass I want to defret is a 2000 Fender Mexican Jazz Bass. I want a fretless because I have always loved playing them and feel that it is time that I get one. The reason I havn't purchased one before is due to my lack of funds. If I were to buy a new one, it would be another Fender Jazz, fretless of course . My question is how much would it be to have a bass defreted, and, for the price, would it be better/cheaper just to buy a new one. The reason I ask is because it seems to be an expensive procedure. I would also like to clarify that I have NO intentions of defreting the bass myself, in fear of ruining it. I hope to have it professionally done. Thanks in advance.
I got mine done for $60. I would highly recommend having another fretted before you do anything.

They are fun, though.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by metalstillsucks
I got mine done for $60. I would highly recommend having another fretted before you do anything.

They are fun, though.

normally i'd agree, but the threadstarter says he likes playing them: Does this mean you've had experience? If so, it's less necessary for you to have a fretted... but still recommended.

Well defretting yourself is usually cheap, professionally done would be a lot more obviously. I think the question of "is it worth it" is a matter of would you be up to doing it, or would you not?
Quote by metalstillsucks

They are fun, though.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I already have a backup bass that is also fretted. It is a Schecter C-4. $60 seems like a good price, maybe I'll just have my jazz defreted and save the rest for a third bass somewhere down the line. Thanks again!
Last edited by TheGodFather138 at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by mangablade
normally i'd agree, but the threadstarter says he likes playing them: Does this mean you've had experience? If so, it's less necessary for you to have a fretted... but still recommended.

Well defretting yourself is usually cheap, professionally done would be a lot more obviously. I think the question of "is it worth it" is a matter of would you be up to doing it, or would you not?

I forgot to mention that I already have another fretted bass, a Schecter C-4. I do have experience playing a fretless, and have actually had one leant to me from a friend for quite some time. I would do the defretting myself, but it looks difficult and I really don't want to mess it up. I do have a project neck though, that I am not using. Maybe I should practice on that and see if i can do it without messing it up? Thanks
Who in the hell would you take it to to get it de-freted?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
^ People who live beyond the constraints of the 7 note world.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by metalstillsucks
^ People who live beyond the constraints of the 7 note world.

Eh?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
And dont mind paying for it. Would you take a screwdriver to your neck?

Quote by Beleuchtung
Who in the hell would you take it to to get it de-freted?

There's this local business that is run out of the owners house. He's done some work on my friends guitar, so I hope he might be able to defret my bass. Worst case scenario, I have to get it done at guitar center, if they even do it there.
Quote by metalstillsucks
And dont mind paying for it. Would you take a screwdriver to your neck?

I'd give it a try on my project neck, but wouldn't the wood get really ruffed up if I dig the fret out with a screwdriver?
Quote by mangablade
Please stop double posting theres an edit button, you know!

Im sorry, I was trying to reply to each suggestion individually. I don't post much and I didn't realize it was a big deal. I'll try to keep my replies to one post.
Why not just try to find a place on line where you can buy replacement neck, and buy a fretless one. Bolt it on, string it, plug in, jam.
^but he said he has a project neck, why not use that one?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by basscrue
Why not just try to find a place on line where you can buy replacement neck, and buy a fretless one. Bolt it on, string it, plug in, jam.

I was thinking about it awhile ago, but decided not to, due to my lack of knowledge of the quality of these necks. Also, some of them are so much that it might be better to buy a cheap fretless bass. I'll look into some of the other necks available though. Maybe they are good. Thanks.

Quote by Double Basser
^but he said he has a project neck, why not use that one?

My project neck is a guitar neck.
You could try defretting say.. the top 6 frets or so of the guitar necK? that way if it works, yay, you can move onto your bass! If it dosnt: you've still got frets 1-12 or so to play with on guitar
uh, a guitar neck's scale is a lot shorter than even a short scale bass' neck, manga.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Mang didn't suggest defretting it for use, he suggested defretting it for practice, because it's just a project neck.
haha
oh, hum, I got you...
I thought he was suggesting to do it and put the guitar neck on and I was like wtf no

has anyone ever played a fretless guitar? I read an articel about them a month or two ago in some guitar magazine, but I've still yet to even actually see one, let alone hear or play one.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^Its rather hard to nail perfect chords, and the strings buzz hellishly.

Quote by UtBDan
oh, hum, I got you...
I thought he was suggesting to do it and put the guitar neck on and I was like wtf no

has anyone ever played a fretless guitar? I read an articel about them a month or two ago in some guitar magazine, but I've still yet to even actually see one, let alone hear or play one.

well i know Bob brozman once played an instrument that resembled a guitar that had no frets... but it was probably just a wierd named instrument

and yeah i was just suggesting it for practice, i hang out at GB&C a lot, so i obviously know about scales.
Quote by mangablade
You could try defretting say.. the top 6 frets or so of the guitar necK? that way if it works, yay, you can move onto your bass! If it dosnt: you've still got frets 1-12 or so to play with on guitar

Ok, I just defreted my project guitar neck. All the frets are off, and I dont really care about the neck because it has no body and I don't have another guitar. What do I do now? Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to do the whole procedure?

Also, thanks for everyones help!
Quote by UtBDan

I 've recently been wondering about this too...

this is what i found...looks like a defretted RG...its a custom guitar though, not an RG.
http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=/classes/em_defret4

There are a bunch of artists that use fretless guitars on that site too, they have links to the sites of guys like Michael Vick (not the football player, lol obviously) and they have CDs for sale on their sites...some of those guys probably have myspaces too, so I'm gonna check that out to see what a fretless guitar sounds like...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
guys like Michael Vick (not the football player, lol obviously)

"Bob, he can Throw, he can Run, he can catch, AND he can shred, WHAT a player!"
Quote by metalstillsucks

Thanks for the link

Quote by mangablade
You take off the frets and THEN ask ?

I know, that was kind of stupid huh? lol Atleast I used the guitar neck, not the bass one. It was only for practicing taking off frets, but after I did that, I figured why not go all the way with the project guitar neck. If everything goes right, maybe I'll try it on the bass.
Quote by mangablade
"Bob, he can Throw, he can Run, he can catch, AND he can shred, WHAT a player!"

BTW I found the page where mike hosts his mp3s, only heard one so far though.

http://www.zebox.com/michaelvick/music/
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 27, 2006,