does anybody listen to no wave?
I've just been getting into some no wave stuff and I 'm curious to see how many other people are into it.
kinda hard to describe might be better to check out the bands
teenage jesus and the jerks
james chance
the contortions
DNA
I was really into it for a while i still like it.

Theres a band called Black Eyes who are hard to explain they are very experimental and just plain good.

They kind of carried on no-wave in their own way.

They have two albums the first(S/T) was really good i loved it all the way through its definatly worth buying they have two bassists onw guitar and two drummers and dual vocals. They guitar work is basically all feedbacking or some oddball scratchy riff. My favorite off that album is a song called deformitive which can be heard HERE. The whole album is genious though. And compared to the second and last album 'Cough' seems somewhat structured(although it really isnt). If you want pure avant-garde no-wave with a screaching noise filled brass section you buy cough listen to the song eternal life HERE. Every song on both albums is great in its own right.

GET BOTH.
I know the guys from the Black Eyes and they aren't a no wave band.
They are, self admittedly, a free jazz screamo band, as their profile on allmusic states.
Near-atonal squonks and peals in the '60s free jazz traditions overlay the songs.."
What they're doing isn't really that different from some of the material on the Stooges "Funhouse".

Sonic Youth aren't really a no wave band either, they just play "dissonant" songs.
Television isn't no wave either; they are "jazz punk".

Lots of bands use atonal sounds.
Black Sabbath and Metallica do it with metal.
King Crimson did it with prog rock.

No wave generally involves simple back and forth progressions of atonal noises, generally following blues and rock progressions, rather than jazz ones.
The best example of no wave that I can show you is Black Randy's "Trouble At The Cup".
http://www.punkvinyl.com/2005/03/07/selections-from-the-punk-vault-black-randy-and-the-metrosquad/
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Last edited by johnnynemo at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by johnnynemo
I know the guys from the Black Eyes and they aren't a no wave band.
They are, self admittedly, a free jazz screamo band, as their profile on allmusic states.
Near-atonal squonks and peals in the '60s free jazz traditions overlay the songs.."
What they're doing isn't really that different from some of the material on the Stooges "Funhouse".

Sonic Youth aren't really a no wave band either, they just play "dissonant" songs.
Television isn't no wave either; they are "jazz punk".

Lots of bands use atonal sounds.
Black Sabbath and Metallica do it with metal.
King Crimson did it with prog rock.

No wave generally involves simple back and forth progressions of atonal noises, generally following blues and rock progressions, rather than jazz ones.
The best example of no wave that I can show you is Black Randy's "Trouble At The Cup".
http://www.punkvinyl.com/2005/03/07/selections-from-the-punk-vault-black-randy-and-the-metrosquad/

I Know what they say but the music sounds too close to no-wave to not be considered it. If you listen to the album cough its about as close to no-wave as you can get.
No wave has just never really appealed to me. To me, the songs have a very hit or miss nature, and the songs tend to miss alot with me.
^^ No, it's free jazz meets screamo, son.
I stood on the front porch of my apartment and discussed it with the lead singer and the drummer of the Black Eyes.
They both were talking about how great free jazz is and that's it's part and parcel of their sound.

In the same way that "a really fast song" isn't necessarily punk, a really dissonant song isn't necessarily no wave.
No wave is structured differently and doesn't sound like a train wreck, like the free jazz screamo that the Black Eyes do.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

James Chance and the ****ing Contortions!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
To quote Black Randy,

James Chance
Take down your motherf*ckin pants
You stealin my act
It ain't no godd*mn romance

( Not that I have anything against James Chance... I just think that's funny)

If you wanna hear some real No Wave (as in not screamo freejazz from DC) , go here and you can download the entire Black Randy album "Pass the Dust I Think I'm Bowie".
The song "I Wanna Be A Nark" is one of teh best examples of no wave on the whole thing.

http://lastdaysofman.blogspot.com/2006/06/black-randy-and-metrosquad-pass-dust.html
Quote by sargasm

I do like their cover of Crime's "Hotwire My Heart", but other than that, Sonic Youth are living proof that if you fart into a microphone enough times, someone will call it art.
Quote by sargasm

I think the best No Wave band is Suicide.
Check out their first release.

Henry Rollins covers "Ghost Rider" on "Part Animal/Part Machine".

Also the Sigue Sigue Sputnik song "Suicide" is a tribute to them played in the Suicide style, but with all the cool Sputnik samples thrown in.
There's a great bit near the end of the song, where an Asian woman is saying "Boy George isn't a hero, because he started taking heroin. He was stupid to start. You can't take it once. It's Suicide."
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
I do like their cover of Crime's "Hotwire My Heart", but other than that, Sonic Youth are living proof that if you fart into a microphone enough times, someone will call it art.

You remind me of an interview where someone from Greenday said that Sonic Youth sounded like someone ****ting on a snare drum. Whoever it was got angry because someone in Sonic Youth said that Greenday weren't punk. Hehehe...
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
You remind me of an interview where someone from Greenday said that Sonic Youth sounded like someone ****ting on a snare drum. Whoever it was got angry because someone in Sonic Youth said that Greenday weren't punk. Hehehe...

oMg Te PWNED!!11!!##!@!

Quote by DorkusMalorkus

I wasn't trying to be insulting. What he said reminded me of that interview, I didn't mean anything by it.

Hahahahaha!
That's great!

I think I may have seen that interview and accidentally paraphrased it.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by the glue man
Am I the only one (besides Nemo of course ) who doesn't like Sonic Youth?

You've just got to start with more accesible albums, try the album 'Dirty'. I thought they were shit when I first heard them, but now they're one of my favorites.