ok, these past weeks I have been getting extremely frustrated with theory, I have so many questions on this kind of thing, and I am having a meltdown. I have been thinking of getting a teacher, and start my theory knowledge all over. Ok a few questions.

1. What is with modes?!! I have read the different lessons on them, and this is what I have so far: There is the major scale, which is Ionian. So what are modes? are they different shapes to play each scale, are they just stupid names for the different scales? What is the point of them? For example, is the Harmonic minor just another name for the "E dorian mode" or something? Please, someone explain all of these, and other important things about modes, I would appreciate it.

2. CAGED system? what is this? Is it the same thing as when it shows a fretboard and it shows a bunch of notes on it for a scale?

3. Shapes, what are scale shapes? are these the different ways to play them, but the sound is the same? Like, whats the point of the different shapes, they just confuse me. Should I just play the one that is easiest to play, or should I learn them all?

4. Is the key of something the same as the scale. Ex. key of C= CDEFGAB?

5. What is the best book that teaches you everything you need to know about theory. And also the best for learning scales.

6. What is a website with the most reliable, quality, free lessons?

Thank you a lot. It would be great if you guys could answer in complete sentences so I know what you are talking about.
well, to start, why does warm water freeze faster thn cold?

But really, I kinda meant like on the other questions. Like good websites, books, etc.

Thanks a lot BGC, as I see, you know a lot about theory. When I am done Reading this lesson tonight I will ask some questions.
ok I have a question already. Whats with those fancy names for the intervals? Mostly on the chart, does flat mean go up one step?
well, while you are reading, ill answer those questions, as I cant seem to fall asleep.

1. I think the best way to think about modes at least to start out, is that they are simply the same notes as a major scale, but starting on a different note.

Example: C major - CDEFGABC
F lydian - FGABCDEF

2. the caged system is a system of PATTERNS to play major scales. It allows you to find a mojor scale in any key in pretty much any area of the guitar. It is not the only system to use, I learned the scale patterns in a different order although several of the patterns are the same.

3. Learn them all.... if you do you will really know the caged system or something like it. The caged system is a system of scale shapes.

4. The key is easiest to think of as the Root or first note of the scale, correct.

5. Too many to mention

6. see #5
ok well I bet I am not the first to think this but, why call it F lydian? Why not just say like "F major scale?" So what do you mean by patterns?

For 5 and 6 what are your favorites?

Thanks to you too
Quote by Johnny83191
ok I have a question already. Whats with those fancy names for the intervals? Mostly on the chart, does flat mean go up one step?

Scratch that, I get it now

CDEFGAB

So

1 2 b3 4 5 6 #7
C D Eb F G A C

Right?
Last edited by Johnny83191 at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by Johnny83191
1. What is with modes?!! I have read the different lessons on them, and this is what I have so far: There is the major scale, which is Ionian. So what are modes? are they different shapes to play each scale, are they just stupid names for the different scales? What is the point of them? For example, is the Harmonic minor just another name for the "E dorian mode" or something? Please, someone explain all of these, and other important things about modes, I would appreciate it.

I can't thoroughly answer your question because I admit, I'm just now starting to learn the modes and how they connect with the scales. I can tell you this, though: Basically, modes are scales with different root notes. Same notes, different root notes. I would suggest learning your scales first, then getting into the modes.

Quote by Johnny83191

2. CAGED system? what is this? Is it the same thing as when it shows a fretboard and it shows a bunch of notes on it for a scale?

Yup, from what I've been told, at least.

Quote by Johnny83191

3. Shapes, what are scale shapes? are these the different ways to play them, but the sound is the same? Like, whats the point of the different shapes, they just confuse me. Should I just play the one that is easiest to play, or should I learn them all?

The shape you can move around the neck to play in different keys. The point of the different shapes are so you can play the scales with the root notes on any string. Thus, you can get more sounds that way and are not confined to the "Root on the E string" at all times. I'd suggest learning several different shapes for each scale. It will help diversify your playing.

Quote by Johnny83191

4. Is the key of something the same as the scale. Ex. key of C= CDEFGAB?

A Major scale for its respective key will contain all the notes of that key. So, yes.

Quote by Johnny83191

5. What is the best book that teaches you everything you need to know about theory. And also the best for learning scales.

Not sure, try this site for lessons.

Quote by Johnny83191

6. What is a website with the most reliable, quality, free lessons?

This one. Also try http://www.musictheory.net.
Quote by Johnny83191
ok well I bet I am not the first to think this but, why call it F lydian? Why not just say like "F major scale?" So what do you mean by patterns?

For 5 and 6 what are your favorites?

Thanks to you too

F Major Scale - F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E - F.
F Lydian - F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F.

You wouldn't call F Lydian the F Major Scale because they aren't the same; they contain different notes.

They are not the same scale.

Quote by Johnny83191
Scratch that, I get it now

CDEFGAB

So

1 2 b3 4 5 6 #7
C D Eb F G A C

Right?

Well, you've the gist of it, yeah.

I mean, you understand how to change the notes in relation the major scale using the formula - yes.