ok i think this is the right place to post so here it goes. so my guitar teacher wants me to learn all along the watchtower but during it he wants me to improves and learn some of the licks of the song, so my question is the song is in the key of C#m but during the verse Hendrix is not in that key so should i do my improving in the key that Hendrix is playing in or stick to C#m.

Thanks in advance
My Gear:
Gibson les paul custom
Gibson les paul studio
Marshall JCM2000
Crappy strat copy
I think he remains in C#m for the verse. He changes his position on the neck, but I think he remains in C#m, though I would be shocked if he didn't add at least a few out-of-key notes.

So to answer your question, stick to C#m because that' the key in which Kimi is playing.
I'm almost positive the verse is in Gm. I play G minor pentatonic scales over it with some added fill notes and it works pretty damn well.
Quote by Shotgun1
I'm almost positive the verse is in Gm. I play G minor pentatonic scales over it with some added fill notes and it works pretty damn well.
That's because he tunes down 1/2 step, so the song is actually in C minor. C Aeolian, the main scale of the song, contains every note in the G minor pentatonic.

I'm assuming that you're playing along to the recording, not in a band setting where the band is in C# and you are in G.
didn't you post this today already?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
i believe you did...
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
yeah i did but i deleted it and moved it it was in the wrong spot at least i think i did. yeah i play to the recording. so yeah i think hes playing in c in the verse so yeah he is in the key right or is that wrong im not good at this stuff

edit: yeah hes playing like natural minor in the key of c
My Gear:
Gibson les paul custom
Gibson les paul studio
Marshall JCM2000
Crappy strat copy
Last edited by o0o0o0o at Jul 27, 2006,
If the key is in C Minor then you should be looking at playing in a C Minor Scale. You could really go for it and tailor each lick for the underlying chord, to do this you would look at the notes that make up that chord then target those notes when that specific chord is being played.