I posted this over in the acoustic forum but it got one response, and I think there would be more people interested in the Blues and Jazz forum anyway.

So, it recently came to my attention that Robert Johnson's famous Gibson L-1 is being auctioned for $6 million. Apparently Keith Richards and Eric Clapton are both (understandably) very keen to get their hands on this instrument. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found it hard to believe that this guitar still existed. After all, most traces of Robert Johnson have been erased over time. Anyway, you can read the full details here:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article1197264.ece
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Well I can understand that it's because it's Robert Johnson's guitar and all, but 6 million is a wee bit excessive methinks.

Either way though, that's pretty cool, it'd be great to have that.
Yeah, thats alot money but lord knows Richards or Clapton can easily afford it.
I bet Clapton will end up with it.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
6 Million?! F*ck me!!

I didnt read that whole article because it was long and I'm lazy, but I sure hope most (if not all) that money is going to a worthy cause.
I'm slightly sceptical as to whether that's going to be his guitar, why would someone have it and not say anything about it until now? It seems a bit odd, however I hope it is genuine. Imagine being in an auction house with Keef and Clapton in a bidding war, I wonder who'd go broke first?
I highly, and mean HIGHLY doubt this is RJ's L-1. No doubt it is an L-1 from the era, but RJ's? I think not.

Besides, for the most part nobody really knows if that was RJ's guitar to begin with. Many believe it was most likely loaned to him for that photo shoot, and or loaned to him for the recordings. Many actually believe the suit he was wearing probably wasn't his either, it very well may have been loaned to him for the photo shoot as well. RJ was far from a wealthy man, and may not have been able to afford those things.

It is much more likely the guitar/guitars he played were guitars such as a Kalamazoo K-14 (a cheap version of a Gibson L-00 at the time) or a Stella. Johnny Shines and others have confirmed that RJ prefered these two brands over anything else.

Also, why would they not list the guitars Provenance? Saying it's the guitar in the picture because it looks like it is silly, and is not Provenance. They could have listed the history of where the guitar has been for all this time, but left out the names of people who owned it if they were really that worried.

I don't buy the headstock logo being covered up by stain in the photo either. Nor do I buy that all the wear shown on the guitar RJ is holding is because of lighting angles, you can clearly see the wear on the guitar.

Will be interesting to watch and see what happens with it though. For 6 million, there better be some of RJ's DNA on that thing to prove it's the real deal. To me, it looks like a clean late 20's - early 30's Gibson L-1, nothing more.
"I'm lonesome, and there's a lady here. She wants fifty cents, and I lacks a nickel."

"You may bury my body, down by the highway side. So my old evil spirit, can catch a Greyhound bus and ride."

'Robert Johnson'
Quote by nothnbutdablues
I highly, and mean HIGHLY doubt this is RJ's L-1. No doubt it is an L-1 from the era, but RJ's? I think not.

Besides, for the most part nobody really knows if that was RJ's guitar to begin with. Many believe it was most likely loaned to him for that photo shoot, and or loaned to him for the recordings. Many actually believe the suit he was wearing probably wasn't his either, it very well may have been loaned to him for the photo shoot as well. RJ was far from a wealthy man, and may not have been able to afford those things.

It is much more likely the guitar/guitars he played were guitars such as a Kalamazoo K-14 (a cheap version of a Gibson L-00 at the time) or a Stella. Johnny Shines and others have confirmed that RJ prefered these two brands over anything else.

Also, why would they not list the guitars Provenance? Saying it's the guitar in the picture because it looks like it is silly, and is not Provenance. They could have listed the history of where the guitar has been for all this time, but left out the names of people who owned it if they were really that worried.

I don't buy the headstock logo being covered up by stain in the photo either. Nor do I buy that all the wear shown on the guitar RJ is holding is because of lighting angles, you can clearly see the wear on the guitar.

Will be interesting to watch and see what happens with it though. For 6 million, there better be some of RJ's DNA on that thing to prove it's the real deal. To me, it looks like a clean late 20's - early 30's Gibson L-1, nothing more.

Way to ruin the fun....
Quote by nothnbutdablues

Owned. If it is RJ's, I'd like to see Clapton end up with it.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
in a robert johnson biography i watched johnny shines said he and robert johnson's guitars were stolen and that they played harp and sing to get money to buy new guitars, and bought Stellas, however, it probably was his suit in the photos. johnny shines said robert johnson would always roll his suits up into tubes or something and then roll them out and they'd be perfectly unwrinkled and he always carried one around with him.
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Damn you Nothnbutdablues; damn you all historians. I don't want to know if it really is RJ's guitar or not. I wan't to BELIEVE the excessively scratched Gibson in the famous photograph of late mr. Johnson dressed in pin stripe suit is his, because everytime someone brings up that Sold his Soul To The Devil legend I take the record sleeve and show the picture and say; 'Look here. There are two things in this picture that make any supernatural explanation for RJ's abilitys unnecessary. One is the extraordinary long, articulated fingers with which he could reach for chords and sequences impossible to play by most other humans. The other is the scratches on the guitar which show that this man was practising many hours a day, years in a row'.
Now you tell me that I was probably using a myth to debunk a myth. Thanks a lot.
i would like to see keith richards get it rather than eric clapton... claptons a great guitarist, but he's really annoying. keith richards is a badass, he fell out of a tree when he was trying to pick coconuts, had a cerebral hemorrhage, and i think he's back touring already
Quote by thegreensquall
i would like to see keith richards get it rather than eric clapton... claptons a great guitarist, but he's really annoying. keith richards is a badass, he fell out of a tree when he was trying to pick coconuts, had a cerebral hemorrhage, and i think he's back touring already

How is Clapton annoying?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
i hate his voice, and he said in the complete robert johnson that he wouldn't dare to cover any robert johnson songs today, then he goes and makes Sessions For Robert J, and takes all of the soul out of songs like hellhound on my trail. and i hate the band blind faith.
i doubt thats his actual guitar, but is it is, wow. that is a piece of history right there. i mean, that guitar gave birth to the stuff of legend, the songs so scoured over by legends of the 60's up to today. i think it is worth $6 million, considering what other things are going for.