when you're fretting a note and play it, are you suppose to put ur fingers about quater of an inch apart from the string before you play that fret? That's what my guitar teachers told me but when I see other people play, their fingers are like an inch apart from the fretboard.
Your fingers should hover as close to the fretboard as possible.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
^^ Is true.

And I think you mean "away from the fret", apart doesn't sound right.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
make sure that your wrist angle is natural and that your fingers are as perpendicular to the strings as possible...if they are slanted away or if you have too much tension, your pinky will probably fly off when you switch strings
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by grrrr
when you're fretting a note and play it, are you suppose to put ur fingers about quater of an inch apart from the string before you play that fret? That's what my guitar teachers told me but when I see other people play, their fingers are like an inch apart from the fretboard.
Corwinoid is correct. If your teacher is giving you a specific distance to keep your fingers away from the fretboard you should first ask him or her why that distance as opposed to keeping them as close as possible to the fingerboard. Then evaluate his or her reason but play with your fingers as close as possible to the strings.

And regarding those people who are keeping their fingers an inch away from the fingerboard, go find some different people to watch. All you can do is pick up bad habits from watching folks who play with such obviously poor technique.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
corwinoid is right. keep them as close as possible and whats most comfortable 4 u without getting rsi