Hey all. I've got a Music Doctor MD-1001 Chromatic Tuner/Metronome, but I have no idea how to use it. Eg. I set the tuner to Auto to automatically pick up what tune is playing, then I'd pick the string E (thickest one) and on the tuner it would say 3rd Octave/D#. I try to tune it to 3/E but I always break the string (D'Addario 0.46, have lots of replacements). I tried to drop one octave, but the string sounded really dead. After, I tried setting it to manual and set it to pick up the E tune only and pluck the guitar and I'd get low or flat -50. When I tried to make it higher, I also broke the string. Also, set on Manual I can't do high e or anything, only C, C flat, C sharp, D, D flat, D sharp...etc Am I using it correctly? Could anyone teach me how to properly use it? Will be grateful for anyone who helps. Thanks.

PS. I believe it is quite similar to other chromatic tuners out there too.
Last edited by R.Stratocaster at Jul 27, 2006,
does it have options to switch to chromatic, guitar bass or something, because my tuner/metronome does that and i just use the chromatic tuner on the default pitch or whatever that 440 number thing or whatever it is and it works fine. Maybe your strings sound dead from over tuning and stretching...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Quote by rockstar_jones
does it have options to switch to chromatic, guitar bass or something, because my tuner/metronome does that and i just use the chromatic tuner on the default pitch or whatever that 440 number thing or whatever it is and it works fine. Maybe your strings sound dead from over tuning and stretching...

They shouldn't be dead, I replaced the strings immediately (about half an hour ago) after I first broke them. Then I tried to tune the new string and the same thing. I'm not sure if mine has that option to change from chromatic to guitar bass etc. I'll have to check up on that with the seller.
Last edited by R.Stratocaster at Jul 27, 2006,
um try to use the manual if it came with one or try to get a rough tuning on your guitar then if you know any riffs that you know really well try playing them and tune by ear until it sounds right. I find it easier to tune up to the note rather than down, as do alot of others. I'll look what type mine is it cost me $80 AUD, but its a no name brand and i think i got ripped off. Good luck any way go the aussies!
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
somewhere on the tuner, there should be a way to set the pitch. eg. A=440. 440 is the number you want, if you use standard tuning, and A doesn't equal F or anything like that.

440!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
You snap strings when tuning? Not good, especially low E!!

Make a habit of always testing string tension, you should always be able to bend a whole step with ease. Too hard to do this means they are too tight.

If you have trouble with the tuner, find a website that plays the notes and tune to that. Tuning by ear is a good technique to learn.
Quote by tubab0y
somewhere on the tuner, there should be a way to set the pitch. eg. A=440. 440 is the number you want, if you use standard tuning, and A doesn't equal F or anything like that.

440!

Just remember that 440 is the frequency of the A that occurs on the 5th fret high E string. Open A string is 110 Hz. And if he's having trouble now, I don't think he'll be able to hear it to tune it 2 octaves lower.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by FunkyO_49

Make a habit of always testing string tension, you should always be able to bend a whole step with ease. Too hard to do this means they are too tight.

lol on my acoustic, it has a heaps heavy gauge and i can barely bend half a step. But i guess he should be able to recognise his guitars normal string tension. i can feel when something is tuned to high.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M