Page 1 of 2
Ok, it's been a while since I bought an electric (currently playing an old Ibanez RG320). It plays decently but I'm looking for something a little higher quality, better tone, better sustain, etc. This is mainly for playing metal.

Btw, I am currently playing through a Peavey Bandit 112. It's a low to mid-level amp from what I can tell but it sounds okay for now.

My budget is $600-1000 for a new guitar. I was looking at Gibson LP Classic and seriously considered buying one but I figured I'm not in a band so I don't really need to go all out on this.

So now after a little research I have come up with 3 choices so far:

Ibanez (Edit: RG1570, sorry it's early in the morning for me) - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965

Jackson DKMG Dinky - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR - (musicians friend doesn't seem to have the FR model, but here is this non-FR model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=513105)

Out of these 3, which would you pick for best overall tone/quality, etc. What other guitars would you recommend for a metal player?

One last thing I'm having trouble with is deciding on going with FR or not. It sure is a pain in the ass to maintain but I've never owned an electric guitar without FR. Is it difficult to go from having FR to not having FR? Should I just get another FR anyway? I do like to play a lot of stuff that requires the trem bar, but I could always use my current RG320 for stuff like that...

I'd love to hear some opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!
Martin D-15 || Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black w/ Gold HW)
Ibanez RG320 (Dark Silver) || Digitech RP50 || Mbox2 || Yamaha HS50M's
Ibanez Smash Box || Danelectro Danecho || Modded Crybaby
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
And More!...
Last edited by sitheris at Jul 27, 2006,
1570!

although i dont know where you got 1530

but the 1570 is teh pwnz i hear
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

yay!

id sig that

if i wasnt such a n00b to sigging people.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

XD its so true :p

Anyway yeah the ibanez is the way to go IMO, they dont have crappy LFR's they have ummm i think its ZR trem system which are good and arent as difficult as FR's to use and they are really easy to play sitting or standing because of the contoured body, also the neck, i swear when i play them, i play twice as good, thats why i need an ibanez soon dammit soon
I'm planning on playing each of these at GC tomorrow after work, granted they have them in stock. I think I'll know for sure which one I want after spending some time with each.

Keep the suggestions coming though!

How are the pickups on 1570? good as EMG 81/85 combo? better?
And More!...
well the trem is the Edge Pro, not the ZR, and its a basswood body isnt it?, Im not sure how actives sound in basswood, you need someone else to help with pickups, but that is teh pro shr3d guitar!get it, you dont like it, send me it, because im beyond poor
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

The Schecters are great guitars. Especially if they have the push pull switches for choosing between humbuckers and single coil settings.
Also check out the Cort EVL series. They go for about 800 euros and are equipped with EMG 60/81. The cheaper version have EMG HZ's and cost around 400.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I hear the schecter necks arent too great though, and i'm never sure on ibanez trems lol, its always either edge pro or ZR, I'm heavily suggesting the ibanez, the neck absolutely rocks, plus as the pick-ups apparently arent so good you can change them and be set but IMO you might not even have to change the pick-ups if your amp is good enough (unless you want EMG's cos they're totally different)
does the Schecter come with an OFR?, im too lazy to go on the site
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

I would go for the Schecter because I think that the RG series are ugly as schit. It might play nice, but only if you like thin ass necks. The Hellraiser is only 50 bucks more and you have all that you need, EMGs, the best wood for them, nice finish, and an OFR which isn't much different then the Edge Pro. http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-SCE-C1FRHR-BCH.html
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Depends on your hands. For me, I have bigger hands and I don't like smaller necks because I just can't move around on it.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
well then, its completely the threadstarters call then, the Ibanez and the Schecter both have some of the most reliable trems there is (i assume), and will both withstand alot of abuse, the Jackson however still has an LFR right?, so forget about that, but its your pick
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

well if your hands are bigger then yeah, go for a bigger neck, also i hear the Edge PRO trems are a hell of a lot easier to tune, string and maintain than OFRs and LFRs
the hellraiser C1 FR does have an OFR and also has emg pickups which are more suited to metal especially in the mahogany body as well. otherwise get the RG1570 and get some hotter pickups
Quote by Punk_Ninja
^ "thin ass necks" IMO are the best to get cos you can play a hell of a lot faster

thats a filthy lie. seriously you can play just as fast on a thicker neck. it just takes more time to get used to.
yeah obviously you can play fast on a thick neck but its easier and more comortable with a thing neck, plus those ibanez necks are soooo easy to play, dont ask me why, it might just be me
pfft what would you guys want a fat neck with smooth ass finish or thin neck with sticky finish and you cant move your hand up the fretboard unless you actually take your hand off the neck
Well i'm playing an RG series now with a pretty thin neck, however the thing I like about the Schecter is the pickups, OFR, and the fret inlays (i know i know don't buy a guitar based on appearance, but how can you go wrong with gothic cross inlays ) I have pretty big hands so I don't think switching to a larger neck will be much of a problem

I guess the Jackson DKMG is out of the picture now (kinda figured this when I saw it had a LFR but still put it on the list anyway) so it's between the Ibanez or Schecter
And More!...
ummm you what?

just reading the specs for the 1570 and they have v7 s1 and v8 pick-ups, i hear ibanez v pick-ups are quite good compared to ehir other pick-ups
this is tough, i dont even know hat i would pick, probably the 1570 though just because it seems like it owns, and has 24 frets...the schecter doesnt?

or does it
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Just test out the ibanez and the schecter when you go into guitar centre and see which feels better, it seems like a draw between ibanez and schecter, its solely up to you from here cos you'll always get people who prefer one make to the other
jesus, well i have no idea waht i would pick then they are basically the same, but the schecter seems more metal-ish as stock, the Ibanez seems more shred-ish...i have no problem playing fast on a fat neck, so i guess i would actually take the schecter, i suck on thin unfinished necks

is the shecter neck-thru too?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
jesus, well i have no idea waht i would pick then they are basically the same, but the schecter seems more metal-ish as stock, the Ibanez seems more shred-ish...i have no problem playing fast on a fat neck, so i guess i would actually take the schecter, i suck on thin unfinished necks

is the shecter neck-thru too?

nope its a set neck with ultra access
well, i would take the schecter now more than likely

but this isnt my thread

threadstarter where are you?!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Well I guess from here it's just going to be up to me after playing them. I was going to order from MF but if I like what I play tomorrow at GC i might just walk home with a new guitar

I thank you all for your help and insight on this and will let you know what I end up buying. Feel free to carry on the discussion, I like to read opinions on the matter.
And More!...
You could keep one guitar in, lets say, standard tuning (EADGBe) and the other in d standard (DADGBe). Get D-Tunas since a lot of bands play in drop C or D. What kind of metal are you into anyways? Like what bands?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
To name a few bands, In Flames, Hammerfall, Moonspell, God Forbid, Pantera, BLS, stuff of that nature
And More!...
Thanks, then I highly suggest going for the Schecter Hellraiser FR.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Well GC did not have either guitar (RG1570 or C-1 Hellraiser), so I couldn't try them out.

They can have the RG1570 special ordered but I'd have to buy it if I got it special ordered. What do you guys suggest I do? GC is the only guitar place around here really. Should I just order the RG1570 from MF and take what I get?

I'd really like to spend time with it before paying though, and I really don't want to rush my purchase.

/frustrated
And More!...
IBANEZ!!!!!!!!!!! I have a RG1570 and it's the best thing I've laid my hands on. I love it, it does everything and anything. Perfect Guitar!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
well, you could hold off and wait a while. Guitar center might get some new guitars (though where I live they rarely do, and usually not good ones). You could find the next closest guitar shop and maybe take a trip there if it's not too far.

Also the dkmg has a LFR but it's a direct swap for an OFR just fyi.

between the ibanez and the schecter, the schecter is more suited for metal.
imo it's perfect for metal stock (the neck is preference)
with the ibanez you'll probably want to change the pickups.

this is imo but i find rg's too be extremely boring looking/ generic (not necessarily ugly) and imo the hellraiser looks much better (also more metal)
Other than the Inlays there more or less the same looking guitar......
I would pick the Ibanez because the neck is orgasmic, but to each their own.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I like the looks of the RG (own one now). The schecters seem to have a lot of lacquer from what I've seen, I don't really like that. I do love the neck on RGs (again, I currently own one), so that's why I'm leaning toward another RG
And More!...
Page 1 of 2