I have heard of people using a treatment on the neck of the guitar to give a faster slide of the hand down the neck. Anyone know something they would reccomend? Also what rendering to the finish would occur?
You can rub down the back of the neck with #000 or #0000 steel wool. Makes the neck play faster. Contrary to the popular myth though, satin finishes on necks DO NOT play faster than gloss finishes, they're the same exact finish except for the fact that satin has an additive in it to reflect light waves.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Really? Because satin finishes have always felt a little more papery, a little smoother to me. I'm thinking about getting a replacement neck for my Strat and I was wondering which I should go with.
Hi, I'm Peter
It's all in your head man.

Although the additives may have a slight affect on the slickness, i've never felt a difference.

Keep in mind, factories may not even use satin clear coat, they might just rub the necks down with either steel wool or high grit sandpaper such as 8,000 grit. Less they have to buff and use compounds. True satin lacquer is the same as true gloss lacquer.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Fair enough. So I should just pick out which one I feel is more asthetically pleasing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Pick the one you like.
Yeah I have an esp vp 500 which is finished in satin. I noticed it's wearing being the first and second frets to a glossier look so I was thinking about treating the whole neck with something but I dont know what I should do.