hey all, 2 questions
1) im just wondering for those that live in Canada, which paints do you buy in the stores like Home Hardware, or Canadian Tire.

2) i'm thinking of using dupli color paints, has anybody got any experiennce using these. im looking at their auto spray series. it's meant for using on cars and stuff but it comes out quite nice and seems easy to use.

any help with these questions would be much appreciated.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Duplicolor is an ok paint for guitars, easy to use and always a nice result. Just make sure you use a good primer as well
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
ya i was thinking of the dupli color primer and clearcoat as well, so all is compatible. but they have this line called auto spray, http://www.duplicolor.com/products/autospray.html. it doesn't say that it is meatn for wood, but i saw it at the Canadian Tire, and they have all these really cool colors, some that i just fell in love with and can't find in the dupli color laquer series. can i use the auto spray stuff.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

??? anyone?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

yeah that will be fine, as long as the wood has been sealed. Or if the body is already painted, scuff the body and then paint on top of that. Post pics when u finish.
well i jut discovered that those paints are only 5 oz. cans would that be enough to do a proper paint job. im doing an EVH job by the way so 3 cans of colour.

also what type of paint is the auto spray stuff. i've looked and can't find anything, is it enamel, lacquer or acrylic? i only want to use laquer so i need to make sure because enamel seems like a bitch to work with.

EDIT: also, i want to buy a sealer also in case i end up sanding through the sealer on the guitar. now dupli-color also has a primer sealer but im not sure it's what i want. any suggstions for stuff i can buy in a store in Ontario Canada.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Last edited by g-cash14 at Jul 27, 2006,
If you just scuff the prexisting paint, you won't sand through the clear. The amount of paint you need depends on the color you're spraying, the color that was already on the guitar, how many coats you plan to do, etc. etc. It's lacquer.
what??? the clear is on top of the paint, do you mean the sealer. and will this give me the best finish possible? im spraying a dark red, like candy apple, black and white. will 5 oz. cover a les paul body completely and well?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Is your guitar already painted? Or is it bare wood. Or has it just been sealed.
it's an epiphone les paul special II. it has the cherry red sunburst on it. yes it is painted. i want to get started on it this weekend and im on holidays so i thought it would be perfect to sand it down next week. if in order to get the best possible finish i must sand down to teh bare wood reseal and go from there i will do it. above i asked about the dupli-color primer sealer althouhg i'm not sure that it's good. then i saw the Krylon sealer and paint and wondered about that. is Krylon any good.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

You don't have to sand down to the bare wood to get the best finish possible.