Page 1 of 2
Its nearing my birthday (only a couple of months) and i'm getting a decent amp off the £250 my dad gives me and probably a couple of cheap pedals from the £50 or so my mum gives me, i have a basic idea of what i want just need guidelines to see how good and reliable these things are and if i shouldnt get them what i should get

AMP:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10732
this seems good and its been lowered a lot of money (and its also the exact same price as my guitar was lol)

Pedals:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69250
seems like a nice cheap metal overdrive pedal
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=70301
delay seems to be an effect i could use a lot

If i can afford any more i'll probably get a dunlop wah

are these good choices or should i gety soemthing different?
My max budget is around £325 I'm spending £250 on amp at the most, i play mainly metal and blues but a bit of everything, i'm also starting shred
The Fab pedals lack a lot IMO but for £50 for more than one you're not gonna get any spectacular anyway.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
i'd get a laney vc30 if you can get to crank it (you need to to get it up to hard rock), gak have it on offer at £300, and use the other £30 odd to buy either a boss SD1 or digitech bad monkey (whichever you prefer) overdrive pedal to boost th gain it already has for metal.

EDIT: if you can only spend £250 on the amp (and note that I think this is a bad idea), get the vc15. It does sound a little boxy though, due to the 10" speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^in correct my irish pal

upgrade rthe speaker if its not a newe, jensen model and it'll be great

gettign a vc30 myself, and metal muff to go with it soon \m/
^

Yeah, I tried them both recently, and they're the best amp for the price over here, that's for sure. Maybe excepting the blues junior, which is even less metal.

seriously, the 30 is better for metal. Neither are really aimed at metal, but you can make them do it by cranking them and boosting them. And it SHOULD sound better than most solid state amps at that price range, even if they're aimed at metal.

And it has built-in reverb (not amazing reverb, but ok) which could cover your delay needs for a while...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The fender FM is a descent starter amp but it you play metal there is NO reason you shouldn't be looking at Line 6 Spider II 212. That will have a bunch of different models and the insane setting is pretty mean. As far as pedals for metal I would see if you can grab a boss metal zone from ebay, or an AMT metalizer, du hast, extreme III.

my 2 cents.
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
^and also all teh models suck ass.

Id say that a VC-15/VC-30 is an awesome idea!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Go ahead and try the VC. They got a point. If you can get into a tube amp for that amount of money and the tube amp can cascade gain, then even a bad tube amp like laney is gonna sound better than a modeling amp.

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
OK, i've heard that line 6 spider IIs are absolute crap, i'd try one but none in my local shop, and i'm not strictly metal, anything from blues to metal to punk to shred, i want a decent all round amp for about £250 and a possible link to some info on it the main stuff i actually play are
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Slayer
Jimi Hendrix
Rory Galleghar
Chuck Berry
Quote by godofshred
well davey, metal muff + vc30 is enough to carry ME over..thats saying a lot

yeah, that's what i was saying about making it do metal. you kind of have to work at it (crank it, and use a pedal) but it should do it fine if you're willing to do that.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
OK, i've heard that line 6 spider IIs are absolute crap, i'd try one but none in my local shop, and i'm not strictly metal, anything from blues to metal to punk to shred, i want a decent all round amp for about £250 and a possible link to some info on it the main stuff i actually play are
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Slayer
Jimi Hendrix
Rory Galleghar
Chuck Berry

Just bite the bullet and get the vc30. We know you have the money, and there's no good reason not to.

But obviously try it first, and make sure you can get to try it, and get to use a boost pedal over the overdrive channel. Also, none of that metal is super-heavy or super-modern, so the laney should be grand. Also, you NEED to be able to get to turn it up loud (like, have the master volume at least 5).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No no... I think they other posters are right. If the last amp you had was a modeling amp and it broke, it might be time for you to hop on the tube amp badwagon.

(I don't think the line6 Spider II s are bad starter amps... I was just giving you a versatile amp ions better than the fender)

My only advice is definately try out the Laney. There are not too many in the States and every TUBE amp here that is in your price range is not heavy enough for metal.

Fender Blues Jr
Fender Pro Jr
Carvin Vintage 16
Crate V series
Epiphone Valve series

these are all good amps in your price range... and they will do blues, classic rock , but not really punk and definately not metal.

But if laney makes a tube amp with enough gain then I would say your search is over.

Good Luck.

So looks like even the laney you are going to have to "work with". That's what I thought. You'lll have to use a pedal to get enough gain out of low budget tube amps. It is the way of the world... Well hope it works.

^ it should. I mean, at high volumes, the clean channel had enough power amp distortion for rock. It just doesn't have much pre-amp overdrive (the gain knob) on the overdrive channel.

that's why I'm telling him to crank it- if you aren't used to tube amps, you'd just turn the gain to 10, say "this sucks, not enough gain for metal" and move on to a spider or something...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ it should. I mean, at high volumes, the clean channel had enough power amp distortion for rock. It just doesn't have much pre-amp overdrive (the gain knob) on the overdrive channel.

that's why I'm telling him to crank it- if you aren't used to tube amps, you'd just turn the gain to 10, say "this sucks, not enough gain for metal" and move on to a spider or something...

+1 Everyone should listen to you in the first place and there wouldn't be thousands of suggestions, just the one that counts!!
dave, dont i recall you askign me for info on the vc-30 and soakin all this up

and get your irish ass online
^ aye, but I've tried one now!

i have to go for dinner, nick, I should be on later, though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So just to clarify.. Dave. You are suggesting that is he wants to play all he has to do it turn everything up, and maybe use a pedal?

Congrats if a laney can do that... My Blues Junior when cranked sounds like rock but adding a pedal to the amp when it is cranked is too much noise for me to handle. I think for the most part... if you look at all the metal amps on the market... they have HUGE power amp sections because you don't want a lot of power tube distortion.

Power tube distortion is what we hear when we hear classic rock, or hard rock, even 80 metal.

Preamp distortion alone on most amps will just sound fuzzy or buzzy when you crank them... but that is exactly what the metal amps need. Look at Mesa's Rectifier for example...

100W or more power amp and CASCADED Gain in the preamp... meaning the run one preamp tubes output into another and into another... They have extra gain stages...
Peavey 5150 is setup the same way...

You want a loud strong power amp section so the amp will have enough bass and keep the bass notes clear.

That is why I still don't agree with a low wattage tube amp being used as a metal players amp. If you are going to do that you are going to need the power amp set no more than half-way up, crank the preamp, and still add a pedal. I think that will be a lot of noise.

But again... I have never tried the Laney... maybe its "different"

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Its nearing my birthday (only a couple of months) and i'm getting a decent amp off the £250 my dad gives me and probably a couple of cheap pedals from the £50 or so my mum gives me, i have a basic idea of what i want just need guidelines to see how good and reliable these things are and if i shouldnt get them what i should get

AMP:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10732
this seems good and its been lowered a lot of money (and its also the exact same price as my guitar was lol)

Pedals:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69250
seems like a nice cheap metal overdrive pedal
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=70301
delay seems to be an effect i could use a lot

If i can afford any more i'll probably get a dunlop wah

are these good choices or should i gety soemthing different?
My max budget is around £325 I'm spending £250 on amp at the most, i play mainly metal and blues but a bit of everything, i'm also starting shred

Happy Birthday

Save your money
Quote by GuitarMD
So just to clarify.. Dave. You are suggesting that is he wants to play all he has to do it turn everything up, and maybe use a pedal?

Congrats if a laney can do that... My Blues Junior when cranked sounds like rock but adding a pedal to the amp when it is cranked is too much noise for me to handle. I think for the most part... if you look at all the metal amps on the market... they have HUGE power amp sections because you don't want a lot of power tube distortion.

Power tube distortion is what we hear when we hear classic rock, or hard rock, even 80 metal.

Preamp distortion alone on most amps will just sound fuzzy or buzzy when you crank them... but that is exactly what the metal amps need. Look at Mesa's Rectifier for example...

100W or more power amp and CASCADED Gain in the preamp... meaning the run one preamp tubes output into another and into another... They have extra gain stages...
Peavey 5150 is setup the same way...

You want a loud strong power amp section so the amp will have enough bass and keep the bass notes clear.

That is why I still don't agree with a low wattage tube amp being used as a metal players amp. If you are going to do that you are going to need the power amp set no more than half-way up, crank the preamp, and still add a pedal. I think that will be a lot of noise.

But again... I have never tried the Laney... maybe its "different"

I'm saying if you combine the preamp distortion and power amp distortion, he should have enough gain for the metal he wants to play- stuff like slayer, metallica (assuming early metallica), and black sabbath.

You are right up to an extent. I wouldn't buy the vc 30 if I wanted to play killswitch engage or shadows fall for example. But considering a lot of the people he listed were blues, and the metal he listed wasn't too heavy, I think he'd get away with the laney.

So yeah, agreed basically. But he'd probably get away with the vc. He needs to try it anyway, and he says he will.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but in answer to your "the stuff he listed wasnt too heavy" (well IMO slayer is one of the most heavy bands around ) Those are just what i like to play most, you could name nearly every good metal band and i know at least one riff from them, i just need an amp which has goot gain and good cleans, i am getting a metal overdrive pedal for my birthday too (not sure which brand) is the laney good for with that then?
^For Overdrive check out Maxon OD-9.

It should handle Black Sabbath when cranked easly and with an OD you shoudl get a good Metallica sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ well, i thought the laney had nice cleans, as long as you don't need loads of headroom- by the time the volume control is about 5, it's heavy enough to play classic rock, in my opinion.

You don't really need a metal overdrive with a tube amp- it'd be much better to get an overdrive to boost the overdrive that the amp already has, as you'll get better tone. And then maybe get an EQ pedal down the road, to make it sound more metal.

Slayer aren't all that heavy in terms of their guitar tone. They were using 80's marshalls most of the time.

What's the heaviest stuff you play?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The heaviest i play is probably ummmi'm not sure, all the metal bands i play are

slayer
metallica
megadeth
slipknot
lamb of god (not much though)
black sabbath
iron maiden
trivium

i think thats basically it, if you count SOAD and Tenacious D as metal then yeah i play those too
^ aye, ok. None of those are particularly heavy, tonewise (i know slayer is heavy, but it's more the notes they play and the stuff they sing about).

LOG might be the only one you struggle with, and modern metallica, maybe trivium.

I'd try the laney, if you can. Remember to try it up loud (the master volume at least half-way up) and with a boost pedal (something like a Boss SD1 or digitech bad monkey) over the overdrive channel.

And then if it won't do your metal well enough, it's back to the drawing board. I think you play enough non-metal, and the metal you play is sufficiently not-too-modern to get away with it, but I could be wrong.

Let us know what you think!

EDIT: also, if you don't think you'll be able to play it up loud at home, you may want to rethink- try the vc15 as well in that case!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ vc30 will do log, kse, anthrax etc with emtal muff dave
EAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSILY
Yeah, the Laney VC30 sounds like a good option. On it's own, it won't get the tones you want, so you'll want a good pedal. Since you want to play some metal stuff, the metal muff sounds good. A Boss SD1 could also work (but it might sound a bit compressed and fuzzy).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Are Laney amps only available overseas because I haven't heard of them until now.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
again, this thread keeps going to page 2 when i see the new posts, the laney is £300 which is ALL of the money i will have so i only want to spend £250 and you thought right when you thought i couldnt have it up too loud, i can only really have it on loud when noones at home :-/ any other suggestions?
^ well, you could get the vc15 for £250. It's basically the same as the vc30, only a lot quieter, with a 10" speaker. The 10" speaker sounds a little small, though- but that could actually work in your favour since it'll let you crank it more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But these Laney amps look really small, are they loud enough to perform small gigs cos I've started to get some, I need the amp to have good cleans AND gain, i heard further up about needing a pedal for the gain to be good on these laneys and if i dont have a pedal with me at the time I'd be screwed
Quote by Punk_Ninja
But these Laney amps look really small, are they loud enough to perform small gigs cos I've started to get some, I need the amp to have good cleans AND gain, i heard further up about needing a pedal for the gain to be good on these laneys and if i dont have a pedal with me at the time I'd be screwed

Yes, they are small, but they're very loud. 30 watts tube=75 watts solid-state volume wise. And also, it's not that the gain sucks, it's actually very good. It's just that it doesn't have enough distortion to play metal. You'll need a pedal to boost the distortion enough to play heavier music. It'll be plenty loud for gigs, and should be able to get the tones you want.
You'll want an overdrive pedal. The metal muff will get you a lot of gain, and is probably what you want. A Boss SD1 would get you a fair bit of gain too, but the metal muff is probably better.
wait a minute, which laney are you going to get? i thought the 15 was quite quiet, actually, but that's maybe because I'd had the 30 watt version cranked up minutes before, lol.

But yeah, if you ARE planning on gigging, just bite the bullet and get the 30 watter for £50 extra. There is NO pedal at £50 which will make your sound as much better as having enough wattage, and the 12" speaker.

Oh, and bear in mind the footswitch is extra for both amps- I think it's £16.

EDIT: For the pedal, you just really have to try some. I'd say an overdrive/boost of some kind would be the major pedal you'd need, since you already have reverb in the amp, and that could cover you for solo delay as well, and since lack of gain may be your major problem. Also remember to try the amp before you buy too, just in case. You may hate it!

dunno, korina, sorry, I haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2