Hello UG members ,

My first post here, hopefully a resourceful one.

I am 15 years old and have been playing guitar for about 6 months. I currently have a Yamaha C-40, Nylon. I have been working over the last few weeks to save up enough for a steel string and finally have enough.

What I am looking for a Steel String, with a mic inside so that it can be rigged up to an amp. I think its called a Semi-Electric. My reasons for swapping is I heard that the steel is the hardest to play on because of the hardness of the strings.

Is this swap viable. Is it REALLy unnecessary? I play rock, rock and more rock and I heard that Steels return the best sound for rock.

My budget is 450$, what makes, what types, what strings?

I'm lost when it comes to this, any advice would be great thanks!

Thanks
Nathan
Last edited by NZB at Jul 28, 2006,
I dont really know what it is. I have played on a few before, Its the shape of an acoustic, steel strings and has a mike built in.

This is where my knowledge faltars, I just dont know much about this yet.
it's called an Electric-Acoustic

I would recommend an Ovation series guitar, and I personally use .012s, but those are really heavy, if you're staring on Steel strings i'd recommend .009s for you
Right just for your reference since you dont seem to realise:
Acoustic = either steel or nylon string
both are acoustics, ones with a pickup (mic if you will) inside are called electro-acoustic and are simply acoustic's with pickups.

yes a steel stringed acoustic is more suited to rock, it has a different sound, nylon is typically reserved for classical stuff.
you could well get a far better normal steel stringed acoustic for far cheaper than an electro-acoustic, the only reason to get an electro-acoustic is if you wish to perform with an amplifier or if you wish to record directly.

Just to clarify you can get standard steel stringed acoustics that are not electro-acoustics
Thanks, Excuse my ignorance.

Never saw your post GL. I know that you can get normal steel acoustics. Ill take a look at my options, thanks so much for your help.

I'm looking at the Ovations now.
Last edited by NZB at Jul 27, 2006,
I personally would swap, because of the music i play. Nylons are more suited to classical etc, as glandolina said. Steel strings will give a more modern sound. Which i think would be better, seeing as you like to play rock

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/guitar/navigation?N=100005+324277&page=1

^With mic.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/guitar/navigation?N=100005+326250&page=1

^Without mic.

If you dont need the links, then nevermind,
Last edited by richwatkinson at Jul 27, 2006,
Ok, My mind is made. Now to go guitar hunting I have no need to play on an AMP yet, so id rather go the normal acoustic route.
i have the exact same yamaha as you, i love it. great little workhorse isnt it?

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
uhh you cant put steel strings on a classical guitar, youll break the bridge and screw the neck up. Genneraly i would advise getting an electro accoustic because then when you want to play through a PA you wont have to worry about micing your guitar for live use (whichis a major pain in the ass).
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
No Matt, you cant. As Kid said, youll kind of...kill your guitar completely. The tension on steel strings is a lot higher then nylons.

I went out today to get the guitar, Luckily the big music store here had a massive sale, heres the whole shabang:

Cort CJ5x Electro Acoustic.
Listed at 799$ on their site, I bought it for, FIRST HAND on sale, 385$.
Using 0.11s in the strings
Infos on the image:

http://www.cort.com/acoustics/cj/cj5x.jpg

Overall, I can say im inlove. My Yamaha is still great for Classical, but the new steel is just amazing for rock.

I've fallen in love.

Thanks so much for you help, Hope i made the right choice. Would love to hear feedback.

Best Regards,
Nathan B
Looks like you've got a nice guitar there. Better than my current 6-string acoustic anyway
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Mattitude V1
Okay, question 2, what's the major difference between Acoustic and Classical?

This is from my knowledge...
You get three types of guitar, Electric, Acoustic, Electric-Acoustic.

An electric is just straight out an electric, all electronic, hense the name. These are used for Rock mainly.

An acoustic/electric-acoustic is used for rock and clasical. The big swap comes in on the strings. The two types of strings are suited to different styles.

Nylon - Classical
Steel - Rock.

Some other genres fall into each set, country, blues etc, but thats keeping it short.

I started on a Nylon and today started on a steel.

Theres many reasons toplay nylon/steel, do a google, youll find plenty information.

-Nathan
Quote by NZB
I play rock, rock and more rock and I heard that Steels return the best sound for rock.

y do u play rock with a nylon accoustic guitar? i spose what rock u play. u need DISTORTION!!!!
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
Slash, No distortion yet :P. Mainly acoustic rock. I was given it as a birthday present, not knowing anything about guitars.

I dont want to play electric till i get really good on a steel :P.

Theres alot of rock you can play without distortion.
im sure there is- but it sounds a hell of alot beta on an electric. i used to love accoustic, bought an electric, and now im hooked
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
Quote by slash_cardy
im sure there is- but it sounds a hell of alot beta on an electric. i used to love accoustic, bought an electric, and now im hooked

pfft, rock doesn't neccesarily sound better on an electric guitar with loads of distortion. You can play any style of music on any guitar, if you think otherwise then that's just a lack of imagination.
And everyone knows ACoustic > Electric any day of the week.

That's looks like an nice guitar you've got yourself NZB.
"It's too late. I've already paid a month's rent on the battlefield."
Yeah, acousitc IS better, but mostly cuz it's so hand and really more attractive to the eye.
i've been playing for 2 1/2 years and i started on a classical guitar. It seemed like a toy to me. Later i got a Washburn acoustic and i love it! I play a lot of Goo Goo Dolls (my fav band) and almost every think from Classic rock like Pink FLoyd to Power Metal (STratovarius) and heavy metal (MetallicA)
EMO
The protagonist sees the dragon and moans about how hard it will be to get the princess to fall in love with him, he gets eaten. The princess is very happy, because he was a whiny fag anyway.

Quote by kanguuu
its old, good, but old lol