I've been playing guitar for about a year (that year being flamenco, kind of) and about half of it being electric. On electric, I know the basic chords, some barre and know how to play a couple little melodies, nothin extreme. I don't know where to go from here though. I dont really know what to leanr and stuff. I try to learn some songs, but i always come across something i dont get. and when i try to learn that, something else pops up. so im usually stuck and lose interest. does anyone have an idea what i should learn. i was hoping to be a good rhythm guitarist then move over to lead. so yeah, any ideas would be helpful. thanks.
Get yourself a teacher. There's no shame in needing one, and it sounds like you do. They'll help you to "get" the parts you don't, and give you something to work towards - direction. And they'll be able to tell you what you need to work on much better than anyone could on UG.
here's a tip: find a song/part of a song that you really really really really REALLY like, but make sure it's not too difficult for you. then just sit down and learn it
Quote by bouncingbassist
Get yourself a teacher. There's no shame in needing one, and it sounds like you do. They'll help you to "get" the parts you don't, and give you something to work towards - direction. And they'll be able to tell you what you need to work on much better than anyone could on UG.

Listen to bouncingbassist, he knows what he's talking about.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by heaven's gate
here's a tip: find a song/part of a song that you really really really really REALLY like, but make sure it's not too difficult for you. then just sit down and learn it

Yeah, I've been told to play along music. Everything I do like is way to hard though. I learned half of the first solo in 'little wing' which wasn't very hard. But still, I know I can do better. Plus the state my guitar is in at the mo, makes everything much more harder; chipped frets, buzzing and one of those things on the bridge where the string lays on (i guess) snapped Still usable though, haha.

Yeah, bouncingbassist, i wanna get a teacher but the only decent one I did find is way out of my area. And the economic state im in makes paying a teacher a no-no.

Thanks guys.

Any other ideas from anyone else would be greatful.
There's nothing wrong with learning parts out of songs, you don't need to learn the whole thing, the fact is that everytime you work on something you can't do and get it down you're improving; eventually you'll be able to learn the entire song. I think at the year stage everything seems unplayable but I would suggest playing something like Pink Floyds "Money" which has two great solo's that are playable by most people who put in the effort and are very impressive.
Man, i need a teacher. =/
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Quote by Fyre Deity
Man, i need a teacher. =/

I could use one too. Its too bad lessons are so freakin expensive.