Ok, I'm stepping up toa full tube amp. Looking at some of the used ones at a local guitar store, I found two online that look nice and I want to test them out ASAP.

First up is a Peavey Blues Classic, 50 watts, 1x15 *shrugs* guess it gets really bassy $499

Ampeg VT-120 1x12 $599 This one really intrigues me. 120 watts in a little-ish combo? Maybe the picture makes it look smaller than it is. Seems that Ampeg no longer makes guitar amps, and the reviews I read make it seem like this amp has a lot of gain.

I use an Epi Les Paul and Visual Sound overdrives (Jeckyll and Hyde and Route 66). I play anything from Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Judas Priest, blues, classic rock, mellow, AC/DC, Creed...

There was a Mesa/Boogie F-50 but it was sold , and a F-30 head but its just as much as the F-50 combo.

Does anybody have any input about that 15 inch Peavey speaker, and/or any info whatsoever about the Ampeg?

Also, quick question about tubes... this might sound retarded, but can you get shocked by touching the electronics/tubes in the back while the amp is on?
I'm somewhat nieve about tubes, but not completely. I understand the wattage differences and such, but I just have a few mysteries to clear up. Thanks all!
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
dude id recomend the fender hot rod deluxe for the stuff you play... its is an awesome amp
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
nope, you can't get shocked (at least i havn't) by touching the tubes while the amp is on.

I havn't tryed those amps, so i can't help you there, but how much can you spend?
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by latinosuperstud
dude id recomend the fender hot rod deluxe for the stuff you play... its is an awesome amp

seconded.
Although touching the glass will not shock you, I wouldn't recommend it due to the fact that tubes, when the amp is on, put out lots of heat. You will be burned, and possibly break the glass because it is so hot, and I wouldn't want to touch the inner part of a tube when it has power going to it. Keep the back cover on your amp, anything else is asking for trouble.
and HOW will he be able to play metallica? (I want to know this for myself too)
Quote by masterchief101
Also, quick question about tubes... this might sound retarded, but can you get shocked by touching the electronics/tubes in the back while the amp is on?
I'm somewhat nieve about tubes, but not completely. I understand the wattage differences and such, but I just have a few mysteries to clear up. Thanks all!

Dude, I suggest you go no where near the back of a tube amp. Not only the tubes gonna burn you....even when off, the capacitors can fry you crisp with its stored charge.

For a starter tube amp, I suggest the Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary 20 watter. Its loud enough, if not too loud for home levels. Its got a sparkling clean channel with loads of punch. Also the lead channel is tight and mean.
Check out Carvin's MTS amps.
Check Mesa Subway series, Dual Caliber series.
The Hot Rod Deluxe might be doable
The Marshall DSL 401 might be doable
Peavey XXX

Any of these tube amps could work out

The Blues Junior is a killer amp... BUT it won't do metal
I have one with a celestion G12H30 speaker and mods but it can't go past rock and roll even with a pedal.

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
I gotta peavey classic 50 for sale, its 420 plus shipping. So lemme know.
Also I just want to chime in and say good job saving some $ and getting a descent tube amp. That seems to be a difficult thing for most guys starting out to do. So congrats, whatever your decision may be.
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
I went to the store today. Tried out the Ampeg, nothing special. the cleans weren't very sparkly or warm even, sorta sterile, and the overdrive was buzzy. Then I tried the Peavey Blues Classic 1x15 (50, 60 watts?). I liked it. The 15 inch speaker put out a niiice full clean tone, but the overdrive was weak. Then I saw a Fender Blues DeVille 2x12, 60 watts. Cleans sounded the same as the Peavey to my ears, but it had more gain to it.
After messing around a little bit, I purchased the Blues DeVille for $500. The tweed was a little worn and the chrome plateing was a little colored and rusted, but it just gives it character.
So I'm at home now, trying to get this thing to sound how I want it. I have a Visual Sound Route 66 overdrive/compresser and a Jeckyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive. Im still trying to figure out how the buttons react to each other, its a little confusing, the MASTER volume only work with the clean channel, which distorts too easily it seems, and the drive works with the brights button, meh, im just confused. If anybody has this amp, can you help me out a little? Give me a starting point? Im having trouble getting the same clean sound I had in the store.

By the way, I'm stepping up from my Line 6 Spider II 112.
Well, if you can step up to $750 you could get either a Traynor YCV50 (I have one, it's a great amp for the styles you play) or a Peavey XXX (used). I really think that the YCV50 Blue would be worth saving for. It's got 2 channels, a gain boost, and it comes with a footswitch. It's a really great sounding amp, and it'll absolutely nail Guns 'N' Roses, Pink Floyd, Creed, Pearl Jam, and AC/DC tones. It'll come very close to Metallica and Judas Priest as well. Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

You'd have to find a used Peavey XXX Super 40, and it wouldn't sound as good for the mellower tones. It would probably come closer to your Metallica and Creed tones, but wouldn't sound as good for the others. I also thought it sounded a little thin for blues. It would still be a great amp, but you would probably be better off with the Traynor.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you've already purchased an amp.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I was actually seriously considering that Traynor. I just found the Fender first. Now that you suggested the Traynor too, I might look into it again. Thanks a lot for the input.