Okay, so my parents pretty much gave me the choice between a computer or a new guitar/amp. and since I have no need for another acoustic and my electric is currently a POS. I chose a new elec and amp. I was looking at the 60th anniversary edition stratocaster. But I dont want to have to buy it online. There's a music shop down the street but they dont sell fenders or gibsons, They sell alot of washburns, parkers, and schecters.I want a guitar that is of course, very versatile. But mainly for grunge, melodic styles. (i.e. smashing pumpkins) Now for an amp, I'm geussing I would be looking for a tube amp. I dont know much about amps AT ALL. And Guitar be around 500$ and amp around 200$. What is my best ber for those prices?
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
You're not going to get a tube amp for $200, well you're not gonna get a good one. Get a Fender Blonde Blues Junior Amp for $400 and get your guitar for $300.
Sent from my iPad.
by a fender hot rod deville with all your money and it'll make your p.o.s. sound like heaven and it would be gigworthy
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by paintITblack39
You're not going to get a tube amp for $200, well you're not gonna get a good one. Get a Fender Blonde Blues Junior Amp for $400 and get your guitar for $300.

Like I said, I dont know about amps. I thought tubes were the cheap ones good for distortion. and blues amps like the ones you recommended were Solid State and like 500$?
Quote by honkey
Like I said, I dont know about amps. I thought tubes were the cheap ones good for distortion. and blues amps like the ones you recommended were Solid State and like 500$?

Wrong.

Tube amps are the good, more expensive ones.

Solid state amps are the cheaper, quieter ones, which aren't generally as good.

Tube amps can be good for distortion, if you buy the right one - and if you can't get enough distortion, overdrive pedals can be used to boost it.

I doubt you'll get a good tube amp for $200 (which I think you should buy).

I'd rearrange your budget and spend $300 on the guitar and $400 on the amp. Because amps affect your tone way more than guitars do.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by latinosuperstud
by a fender hot rod deville with all your money and it'll make your p.o.s. sound like heaven and it would be gigworthy

I have $600 down on that amp right now 2 more weeks pay and its mine!

But yes, I play my Ibanez ICX120 through it and its like listening to angels. Get a good amp and a decent guitar, if any guitar. Your amp is more important for tone.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Wrong.

Tube amps are the good, more expensive ones.

Solid state amps are the cheaper, quieter ones, which aren't generally as good.

Tube amps can be good for distortion, if you buy the right one - and if you can't get enough distortion, overdrive pedals can be used to boost it.

I doubt you'll get a good tube amp for $200 (which I think you should buy).

I'd rearrange your budget and spend $300 on the guitar and $400 on the amp. Because amps affect your tone way more than guitars do.

Okay can I get a good guitar for 300 dollars?
Quote by The way to hate
Yes. Try Ibanez guitars.

Ibanez ICX220. Good guitar, you'd want to change the pick ups though.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBAICX220

Other than Ibanez? Sorry, I just dont like the feel of them for some reason.

About amps; If for example I wanted to sound like billy corgan and he plays through a Marshall JCM 800 100-watt amp on all his CDs, I could play any crappy guitar through that and get the same sound and tone?

and; my POS is a squier telecaster, can the FENDER telecasters sound good for hard rock?
Quote by honkey

About amps; If for example I wanted to sound like billy corgan and he plays through a Marshall JCM 800 100-watt amp on all his CDs, I could play any crappy guitar through that and get the same sound and tone?

and; my POS is a squier telecaster, can the FENDER telecasters sound good for hard rock?

Well. You asked for good guitars for $300. Ibanez is known for good guitars at low prices.
Quote by honkey

1) Probably, as the amp affects the tone more than any guitar.

2) They won't do really hard stuff unless you buy one with a humbucker, but for some hard rock yes they will do.

If you're looking for something different to your tele,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669

Epiphone G-400. It's a good guitar for the price and will do hard rock well.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
1) Probably, as the amp affects the tone more than any guitar.

2) They won't do really hard stuff unless you buy one with a humbucker, but for some hard rock yes they will do.

If you're looking for something different to your tele,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669

Epiphone G-400. It's a good guitar for the price and will do hard rock well.

Okay, but do the epiphones have bigger necks than fenders like gibsons do?
The SGs will have a slimmer neck than the les paul. Ask your mom and dad for 1,000 dollars (What piece of **** computer would you be getting for 700???!) and tell us what kind of music you play. What bands do you listen to, what tone are you after?
Quote by refgerto
The SGs will have a slimmer neck than the les paul. Ask your mom and dad for 1,000 dollars (What piece of **** computer would you be getting for 700???!) and tell us what kind of music you play. What bands do you listen to, what tone are you after?

They locked my budget at 700, I already tried. actually they originally said 500 but I got them to change it.

Okay music I listen to/I play. Smashing pumpkins, alkaline trio, Cursive, red hot chili peppers, as I lay dying, Brand new, Nirvana, taking back sunday, stevie ray vaughan. So pretty much something that can vary from blues to hard rock to alternative.
schecter omen 6.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by xsynysterx06
schecter omen 6.

What kind of amp, and how does it do on clean warm tones?
get a mim strat and the hot rod deluxe amp(as opposed to the deville to fit your budget) ... it will give you any tone you want
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Schecter Gryphon.
Although...
The Schecter C-1 Elite would be awesome,that's what i have.and it's awesome.
but you can get a Schecter Gryphon for around 300...ithink.
Umm, don't most of those bands use Fenders. Cause if so, I'd just gat a mexican fat strat and a good amp. Also, you could spend your own money to cover what your parents won't!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix