I have an Ibanez Soundgear Bass. I've been playing bass for about 6 or 7 months now, and it's been a good starter bass. However, I played a friends bass, and the feel was completely different. His bass was the Ibanez just a step above mine. The main difference was the feel of the frets. I can get my Soundgear to have nice action like his, but whenever I fret a note, I hear a click, or a buzz.

So if I want to play a fast riff, you're going to hear some (at least) buzzing and clicking. I don't know about you, but I hate that sound. I like bass to be smooth.

Here's my question: what is my problem? Is it the action (which I have tweaked with endlessly)? Is it the truss rod? Is it the strings (which I haven't replaced, ever)? Is it the fault of the actual frets? Do I need a new bass?

I really need to be able to fret notes without that sound, though...I feel like a noob asking these questions, because I'm usually the one giving advice to noobs. If you could help me out, that would be great.

EDIT:

One more question...would making my bass fretless work?
Last edited by lespaul_rentals at Jul 27, 2006,
I like my basses to sound smooth as well and sadly my Ibanez sounds a bit clanky and buzzy every now and then so I usually have to adjust the action quite a bit...It works out though for me when I do a simple setup...

For you it may be different though, as tsurigi said, a new set of strings may help the problem, it certainly wont hurt...and you can also work on pressing down on the frets harder...sometimes when you dont fret a note hard enough it creates a horrible buzz like the one you describe...

<EDIT> Also, it could be that the frets arent all level or theres a slight problem with the neck relief but for this I suggest you take the bass to a professional and have them do a full setup of the bass to tell you the problem and fix it for you.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 27, 2006,
1. raise the action
2. new strings. old strings lose their intented tension and whatnot. and sound crappy (depending on what tone you want)

3. ive toyed with the idea of adjusting tension on the bridge by moving the braces (or whatever theyre called) back and forth instead of up and down. i dont really know if im thinkin along the right track, but i figure that a longer string will have to have a differnet tension to achieve the pitch it is to be tuned to
not sure which way it goes tho. jsut throwin the idea around.

oh, and have you tried playing your bass on different amps? i find that my amp tehds to bring out the clicking and buzzing
the peavy i use with my teacher doesnt do this (or as much anyways)
CLOWNDEACAN
Last edited by CLOWNDEACAN at Jul 27, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
I like my basses to sound smooth as well and sadly my Ibanez sounds a bit clanky and buzzy every now and then so I usually have to adjust the action quite a bit...It works out though for me when I do a simple setup...

For you it may be different though, as tsurigi said, a new set of strings may help the problem, it certainly wont hurt...and you can also work on pressing down on the frets harder...sometimes when you dont fret a note hard enough it creates a horrible buzz like the one you describe...

<EDIT> Also, it could be that the frets arent all level or theres a slight problem with the neck relief but for this I suggest you take the bass to a professional and have them do a full setup of the bass to tell you the problem and fix it for you.

I'm thinking that a pro setup might be the only way to go. I've tried lowering the action so I can fret the notes more easily. I've tried raising it, even, to see if that makes much of a difference. It just makes it worse.

I have worked on fretting the notes, but that's where the problem comes in. It doesn't buzz when I'm fretting, it clanks as I fret the note. It sounds like I'm slapping every single note I fret.
Well i have that sound a lot unplugged, but thats cause i have my action so low its practically resting on my frets

The thing is, most if not all of the fret buzz you get on a guitar or bass goes away once you go through your amp. Moreso if you turn down the tone or treble knobs, since the frequency of clanks is pretty darned high...