OK, I aint the greatest guitarist in the world. I'm pretty average so I want to learn some stage moves to spice up live performances. I've seen people do this thing where they whip their guitar around their body and start playing again when it comes back round.

I have a couple of questions about this.

1. Do I need any special straplocks or will the basic ones do? (I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012, hence why I want to try it on this first)

2. How much force do you need to get it all the way round without smacking me on the head?

I don't want people coming in and saying that stage moves are for people who can't play properly. I don't care. As I said before, I'm average.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
i suggest GOOD straplocks. a mate of mine was doing a show, spun it, and cracked his guitar in half

just practice it, you'll see how much force you need.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
practice this outside or with someplace with high ceilings. wouldnt want to hit anything.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Thanks for the warning nate. I'll invest in some decent straplocks. Anything else I need to know about it?
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Either straplocks or one of those planet waves locking straps, but I recommend strap locks.

As to how much force you will need... experiment.

Don't be afraid to do it, if you have straplocks you'll be fine, just go for it, can't be lame about it and if you half ass it THAT'S how you're going to hurt yourself or your guitar.
its only getting worse, in the ashes of the wake.
make sure you've got lots of give on your cord! if you start to throw it and then the cord yanks it back its not gonna be too safe, guitars hurt.
the amount of force really depends on which way you flip it...assuming your right handed if you flip if over the left shoulder then you just throw it pretty much and it'll go all the way around but if you go backwards over the left shoulder than you'll need extra force so that it doesn't fall down in mid swing and land on your head
ya i tried doing this a few times, and i ended hitting my temple with the butt of my guitar, and that hurt. i had a locking strap made out of canvas , so there was alot of friction, so a nylon strap should be alot better (a lot smoother). and watch out for your cable as it will tangle up on you, and if it does learn to flip it the other way again to untangle it or get wireless cables ($$$$)
Quote by Paddles
I feel sorry for the drummer, he gets stuck with a guitarist who can't hold a rhythm to save his life and a vocalist in the middle of a heavy-flow month.