after realizing that my setup just sucks, i think it is time i upgraded to an amp better suited to my sound. I've been rockin a fender hot rod deluxe thru a boss metal zone and it sounds find for practice and stuff but i realized that when i turn it up it sounds like crap and is muddy. I have decided to get a head with a 2 x 12 cab becasuse a 412 cab is too big. I want a sound that has good distortion and decent cleans. I play a lot of punk, metal and hardcore. I'm gonna be playing an esp viper with emg 81s through it. I'm looking at getting a peavey 5150 or crate blue voodoo. What do you think. Also what cab would be good thats pretty cheap? I want to be able to play local shows and band practice.
The 5150 is always a good way to go if you really want those high-gainy distortion sounds. The 5150 is a staple for many metal and hardcore players. The Crate Blue Voodoo isn't a terrible amp either though, just try them both out and see what you like. And as far as other amps go, it's better to just walk around the floor and try out whatever is in your price range.
peavey 5150 or even Peavey XXX

or check out carvin's MTS series amps

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Not surprising a med student would recommend something as sterile as a XXX. You can keep one in the operating room as a prep for surgery.

I'll add my 0.02. Boogie Tremoverb combo.
Hi, I'm Peter
That is pretty funny. And spot on. The XXX is sterile. But pay attention to the music he plays, punk and metalcore... something crisp and dry that will palm mute well in his price range. I have to say it is still a valid consideration, and of course no my only suggestion either.

Cheers on having a sense of humor though

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Would it be better if i just get a combo or should i get a head and cab. I'll be using it for practice in my room, band practice and small gigs.
If you get a combo it only takes 1 trip from the car to the stage?

I am a fan of combos.

1 word of advice, the peavey 5150 combo is heavier than a Mack Truck... but two handed you can probably handle it.

Also, seems like most combos from peavey and marshall will save you some $ also.

Good Luck

ebay
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Quote by IKilledMarilyn
you know where i can sell my hot rod?

sell it to me haha where do you live?

the 5150 is a good amp for a reasonable price too :p get one used and you can get a great bargain
I'd love to add your amp to my collection, but new guitar first
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by AmIEvil?
sell it to me haha where do you live?

the 5150 is a good amp for a reasonable price too :p get one used and you can get a great bargain

\
california