Hello,
I have an opportunity to get a guitar Hamer USA Diablo GDBS2. Since my SG hasn't got 22 frets and a tremolo I think this Hamer might be useful for me in some way. So I wonder if it's a good chance to buy it for $650 or I can consider something else, jackson, esp etc. and I wonder, are this Hamer and SG Standard on the same stage or the SG just beats this Hamer?

Thanks.
Good choice. Hamer are amazing guitars, you will have many years of pleasure out of it, I have out of mine.
SG. Its an incredible guitar
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
What kind of trem does it have on it? If it is LFR, then I would go for this . Oh and by the way, wtf kind of SG are you using that doesn't have 22 frets?
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
My SG is with 22 ftrets, I'm sorry that was a typo. the Hamer has the Shaller tremolo.

Yes, it does, though it has a slingle coil in the center.
http://injapan.ru/auctionDescription/translate/t8115584.html

The pickups are a Seymput Duncan TB-4 at bridge and a Seymour JBC (???) at neck and I didn't manage to detect the single coil's brand. In combination with either of humbuckers it gives out the sound exactly that I need. I prefer this sound to the Japanese ash-body strat that I also have.

I don't like the neck pickup at all, since it's too thin and week for my taste; no sustain.

And as for the bridge pickup, it is too trebly, much more that I want. And I even have to dial the pot to reduse such amount of threbles. For AC/DC advocates this pup might be ok, but I wish it had as many basses as my SG has. People advise Bill Lawrence's (500L, 500R) for that alder body and I can get them right now (no fake indeed it's cheked) for $280 for the pair while they're still being sold on the norice board.

What else I love in this guitar is that I don't need to bother with the floyd very much. All the procedures are too quick and when I tune the guitar it stays in tune long, even though I don't do the top lock screws! Not like it used to be with my Japanese Jackson.

Now the neck. It's fairly fine for me. I don't wish to let the neck go out of my hands, so it's ok, very nice. However, some frets need to be replaced so it may increasy the price as well. Now I've paid $760. So I'll stronly need your advice on that pickups issue.

Actually I mean to stay with hamers for ever. Excellent guitars. But with this one, I have to do either invest into this guitar more or sell it and buy a new may be more expensive Hamer. The matter is that they are not sold officially in Russia and I can't come and check the one that I mean to buy.
Last edited by separanets at Aug 24, 2006,
Hamer don't make shredder guitars like that anymore unfortunately so you wont get one new.
Hamer are highly regarded by those in the know about guitars. You've got yourself
a very good instrument for the price and it was probably very expensive when new.
As you can see in my profile I have two Hamers and I absolutely love them, the Schaller
trems they use are excellent and I've never had any tuning trouble even after heavy trem use. I believe my guitars use Seymour Duncan Trembuckers in the bridge position, I personally feel that there fine for what I play (Metal/Rock). If your not happy with yours then look to see to get a quality replacement but I would be interested to know what amplification you use.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
I'm using an SL 50 watt entirely tube combo with a TSL C 2x12 cabinet and predominately the clean channel with a Maxon ROD 880 overdirve pedal. I'll replace the combo by a Marshall 9100 or DSL 50.

The style I play varies from blues to '80 heavy. I'm quite indefferent to playing Vai's or Satch's music. My SG has enough basses so itc sounds very balanced, though it has less obertones (defenetely not the AC/DC's sound). With my TB-4 is quite possible to play full 6-string major chords like Brian May does or Angus or others. But I feel a lack of bottoms with that pickup. I think if a pickup gives out many tasty overtones as TB-4 and also has some basses and good sustain it would be very apt for me.
Your Amp setup sounds fine.
Maybe you could adjust the eq abit more on your amp when you play the Hamer or get an eq pedal to adjust it more.
Both my Hamers sound different the Elite is brighter than the Custom.
If you can find a good pickup that does both then go for it.
What wood is the SG? Hamer? That may explain it a bit.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
the Hamer is alder made and the SG's body is mahagony. I used to have a Jackson Soloist Standard and it was made of alder too. And it also had less bottoms. The EQ is a good idea too. On the oifficial Seymour Duncan site they write this:

Compared to the SH-14 Custom 5, the JB has a stronger treble detail. Some players use it with 250K pots to smooth out the highs.

Then I read a bit about the SH-14:

Developed by contributors to our web user group who replaced the ceramic or Alnico 2 magnet in an SH-5 Custom or SH-11 Custom Custom with an Alnico 5.

My SG's 498T also has an Alnico 5.

And finally the SH-11:

The Custom CustomTM is our SH-5 Duncan CustomTM humbucker with an Alnico II magnet for warm and smooth highs, more midrange, and a spongier bottom end than the SH-5. It?s a good choice for players who need a traditional vintage tone with increased output

So I think it's gonna be hard work to find my own sound.

Aha, and I forgot to mention Dimarzio's. People say Dimarzio's now are not as good as they used to be before. May be it's just a rumour.
I would try the eq route first. I think the Hamer is going to have a more brighter sound than the SG anyways.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab