i am starting to really to dig what an orange amp has to offer for some of my most favorite players

omar rodriguez, my favorite player nowadays, i heard uses orange amps, i know he used to use vox also, but i mean, as much as price matters, i want better tone and i believe that orange has a better tone than vox does

i currently own a 15 watt vox valvetronix, its was my first amp, i love the sound it gives off, but i wanna step up to a half stack now, and i am seriously considering orange

what are the pros and cons of orange?

i also know a guy who plays in a local instrumental band and he has an orange cabinet, and his tone is absolutely amazing. hands down. but he doesnt use an orange head, he uses an ENGL powerball, are those any good also?

i know that if im going to get a halfstack, of any kind, chances are im going to prolly get a 4x12 orange cab, cuz i hear really great stuff about orange cabs

but which one? engl powerball head or an orange head?
Orange and ENGL make great amps... they are also REALLY expensive.

If you want to hear some sound clips between orange amps and ENGLs go here...

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html

The bar on the left side of the screen will allow you to pick the amp model you want.

This site will play a strat through the amp clean, strat through the amp distorted..
Then an LP clean, then LP distorted...

Listen to one after the other to tell what you like.

Orange makes some of my favorite new rock sounds.

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
ENGL
its nuclear bomb of an amp head.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
basically a powerball will do metal plus lighter stuff like the orange, but the orange wont reach a metal amount of gain but i say the cleans are better on the orange's that i've heard....try and find somewhere to play them both, when you're making a decision about a seriously expensive half stack its worth at least trying to play them first.
You're basically looking at two completely opposite sides of the spectrum. ENGLs are for hardcore/metal and Oranges are mainly for just rock. Just IMO, you would be safe going with an AD series Orange. It has been pushed into really high gain territory by artists such as UnderOATH, The Fall of Troy and Converge. I'd suggest getting an AD30. Plenty of power and great tone. But if you plan on using tons of pedals like Omar, you're probably gonna have some tone sucking unless you use Monster Cables.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
i think i'ma go with an ENGL head and a 4x12 orange cab, i gotta test it out sometime, but its an idea for now,

thanks again
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
basically a powerball will do metal plus lighter stuff like the orange, but the orange wont reach a metal amount of gain but i say the cleans are better on the orange's that i've heard....try and find somewhere to play them both, when you're making a decision about a seriously expensive half stack its worth at least trying to play them first.

Well, naturally the ENGL will have "better" (I put better in quotes because it's subjective) because it has more headroom. The Powerball is 120 watts, right? So it's going to have more headroom for the cleans to sparkle. The Oranges have great cleans, IMO. They gear their clean channels to show off the guitar's natural tone. The downside of that is that if you have a POS guitar, then the cleans might follow.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
But if you plan on using tons of pedals like Omar, you're probably gonna have some tone sucking unless you use Monster Cables.

Uhh monster cables aren't magical, if your pedals suck tone, your cables aren't going to fix that.
Quote by fredthecat
Uhh monster cables aren't magical, if your pedals suck tone, your cables aren't going to fix that.

Actually, cables can help a lot of the tone sucking, depending on the length and quality. If you have good quality cables and minimal length, then you're going to have minimal tone loss. If you have poor quality cables and minimal length, there'll be a little more tone loss. If you have poor quality cables and lots of length, then you're going to lose a lot of tone. Monster Cables, in my experience, keep tone loss down to a minimum. That's why Joe Satriani uses them. He has all those pedals and the Monster Cables help him preserve as much of his tone as possible. Even with True Bypass pedals, you're going to lose tone due to the cables.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Orange are made for that classic British tone. If you're looking to play anything heavier than modern rock, you should reconsider because the distortion on an Orange amp doesn't get dirty enough for hardcore, metal, etc. Another con is, as someone else said, they are WAY expensive. You can expect to spend anywhere between $1000 and $2000 in a combo and at least $2000 for a head and 4x12 (even the 4x12's go for $900+) Also, they do not usually come with a footswitch, you need to drop down another $36 for that. Of course after dropping over $1000 on an amp though, what's another $36? ;-)

However, the tone these amps give out is outstanding. I play through an Orange Rocker 30 combo. I downsized from a halfstack to this 1x12 combo and do not regret it in the least - it is more than loud enough if you mic your amp. All in all I would definately recommend an Orange but you need to do your homework because they are not for everyone.
I have to disagree with you on one thing rockxwl. That is Oranges being pushed into hardcore/metal. Although I've never seen a metal band push an Orange, I've seen several hardcore bands do it and they have EXCELLENT tone. Omar Rodriguez from At the Drive-In and The Mars Volta has used an AD140 for years, Thomas Erak from the Fall of Troy uses an AD140, Tim McTague and James Smith from UnderOATH have both used Rockerverbs and AD's and finally, the hardest rockin' one of them all, Aaron Dalbec from Converge (and possibly some of their other former guitarists) used an Orange. So the point is that Oranges can be pushed into hardcore territory easily and still retain great tone.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
The best live sound I've ever heard (and I 've heard Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who and many others) was Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) playing his Les Paul thru an Orange amp.
wait a bit, are you absolutely SURE no metal band has pushed orange before?

hmm, damn, ugh, idunno.

i know a dude who plays an engl powerball head through a 4x12 orange, thats about it

and hes in an instrumental metal band called scale the summit, a californian local band

myspace.com/scalethesummit

check em out, they kick major ass.

i want that dudes tone, but i mean

i live in houston, and the only place i know that even carries any type of orange amplication is rockin robins

but idunno about engl, i have no clue where in houston i can test out and buy an engl...

help? lol, i would appreciate it, i DID start this thread after all....
what music do you play in addition to the mars volta? what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sick_Boy
As everyone else stated, Orange amps are great, but expensive.

If you look on Wild West Guitars website, an Orange AD140TC head is cheaper than a Marshall 4X12 by almost $500 USD, and almost $700 USD cheaper than a JCM.

Yes, Oranges are very expensive...

EDIT: Sorry thats the AD30TC head
Last edited by guitarted at Jul 28, 2006,
^Good Marshalls are very expensive, too.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Ambulance X, I was not aware that Converge used Orange, that is certainly an eye-opener and I'm happy to know that. However, I definately would not be surprised if the distortion comes from an OD pedal. Do you know if it does or if it comes from the amp itself?
i can go 3000, a little more wont kill, a little less would be much better

i want a cross between volta, with sloppiness of ATDI, i just always liked sloppiness, and also, myspace.com/scalethesummit, those guys, i want a cross of their tone with something that of omar rodriguez-lopez, tom morello, and john 5

i know, if u can piece that all together and tell me wassup and what to do, u must really know your ****....