I was trying to replace my strings today and I find that everytime i tune it up to normal pitch it doesnt tune, itll stay on the desired pitch for about 1/2 of a second and then go down. It is getting me really frustrated especially since I got the guitar a mear 6 months ago. How do I fix this? ive wrapped the string around the post like 5 times and its still the same
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

you need to tune up the entire guitar and stretch the strings or wait for them to stretch out naturally.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
is this normal?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

if you have a whammy bar/ bridge and youput heavy strings on that could do it. It happened to me, i had to get more springs put on.
When you get new strings put them on and give them a little tug, not so much that you break them but stretch them, give them a tug (tug away from the guitar).

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by pinkhaze29
if you have a whammy bar/ bridge and youput heavy strings on that could do it. It happened to me, i had to get more springs put on.

i think hes talking about an accoustic so thats kind of a non-issue, but damn i wish i had an accoustic with a tremolo system even though in tallpracticality its prtty much impossible.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
And make sure your top isn't bowing. That happened to my Martin and I'm pissed.
Hi, I'm Peter
The strings need to be stretched.

Tug on them, and turn the tuning keys so you tighten and loosen the string.
i replaced and tuned all the wound strings to perfection and it is fine, so its nothing with the neck or anything, maybe the 2 highest strings need to just stretch rather than the others, i didnt have even stretching problems with the round strings they tuned up the whole time
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

sorry to double post but how long do u think i should give it to stretch? its been a good hour since i replaced the strings
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by breezin
a few days

No.

Slip your four fingers underneith the string at the soundhole and while pushing up with them, push down with your thumb in front of your fingers (towards the head stock) so you get some sheer force on the string. Don't be afraid, you're not going to break the string. Put some umpf into it and do this down the length of the string every couple inches. Repeat for all 6 strings.

Once this is done, retune it again and it should be fine if you did it right.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
After watching that "Steal This Video" on string changing, I found it effective to stretch them by like doing bends with them a bit and retuning until it stays, then I just leave it there for a while. Iunno much, sorry if that didnt help.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
i think hes talking about an accoustic so thats kind of a non-issue, but damn i wish i had an accoustic with a tremolo system even though in tallpracticality its prtty much impossible.

No No kid_thorazine - it is not impossible! There are acoustic guitars with tremolo systems. Why, just yesterday I saw (admitedly not the best guitarist in the word) Bryan Adams playing a Gibson with a tremolo system attached. So, courage man, courage!
Quote by Jaysin
No No kid_thorazine - it is not impossible! There are acoustic guitars with tremolo systems. Why, just yesterday I saw (admitedly not the best guitarist in the word) Bryan Adams playing a Gibson with a tremolo system attached. So, courage man, courage!

Yeah I think you can get a Bigsby on an acoustic somehow
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join