hey im in my high school jb and my instructor wont even give me a SOLO geez i show him how good i am and he will give ne1 else a solo but not me!!!!!!! i was wondering wat to do?
First, Bass is no solo instrument, sure you can play awesome solos on them, but instructors use to dislike such things. Try to talk to him some more, if he still dosnt give you a solo, make one yourself and play it, run your instructor over.
Hakuna Matata
ask him for one?

maybe hes the type of guy who thinks bassists shouldnt have solos...does he always give soos to the trumpet players?...

I used to hate the trumpet players in my jazz band, pretty talented guys/girls but they played so obnoxiously, stealing the limelight every chance they got even when they played the harmony or something boring...didnt have any control over their dynamics either...

/end rant

<EDIT>
Quote by Sylvesterin
First, Bass is no solo instrument,

just because bass isnt a solo instrument in the music you listen to doesnt mean its "no solo instrument"...In fact in many types of music besides rock/punk/etc, guitars are used as rythm instruments and the bass leads the band with melodic rythms...and yes they do play solos and there are many bassists who are solo artists...so yea...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 27, 2006,
perhaps remember that he's the director... and maybe he doesn't want a bass solo....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
if the drummer and maybe the guitarist don't get solos either, it's probably because your director is a guy that solely believes that the rhythm section is there to hold everyone down, not because he thinks you're incapable.
fender showmaster=$650
fender FM65=$200ish
digitech RP200a=$100
sucking at guitar no matter what=priceless
I got a bass solo in my concert band (im joining band next year, as last year i decided against, for fear i had not enough Sheet music skill lol. now i should be fine) in one of our songs, it was a Medley of... arrgh cant remember the time. it was Funk/blues stuff, and i got like a minute long solo filled with slap and fingerstyle and everything

I think he gave it to me because of a few reasons:

1) not to brag but i was clearly better than the other 2 bassists. they dont know scales/theory or anything about improvisation (btw, the solo was improv'd), and they cant slap either, which the Conductor wanted a lot of.

2) I have lots of conversations with him about theory, genres, bass in music, and a lot of other things. if you want him to give you solo's, be a friend to him! that should be the first step

3) Although i was asked, you shouldnt be afraid to ask if , when you see theres a part for a solo, if you can play it.
Quick questions, before you complain about not getting a solo.

How much do you know about jazz?
How much do you know about improv.?
Does he give everyone else a solo?
Do you know how uncommon bass solo's are?
Have you honestly earned the right to have a solo?

Also some little facts you should take into consideration.

1. Bass solo's can't be thrown into a jazz song anywhere, they are very hard to do well. Because of the low frequencies they usually require almost every instrument to drop out (except guitar and drums).

2. This is a highschool jazz band, I'm guessing it's a extra course, that means you are in it because you want to be, same with everybody else. If everybody in the class asked for a solo how many songs would you have to play/how long would have to be to get every person a solo?

3. You are a bass player. There is a very large stereotype about highschool bass players, that don't know music theory, don't know how to improv, and believe they are a god of the instrument because they can play a Jaco Pastorious song. Your teacher probably believes you fit into that stereotype. You might need to prove him wrong, not by your ability to 'noodle' while the band isn't playing, but by doing what you're needed to do with the best of your ability. Make an obvious effort to improve without being annoying.

4. Your conductor know more about music than you do, if there is a place for a bass solo he will let you do it. If there isn't he's not going to give you one. Depending on the music style you might and the song structure you might be able to get one.

Take a step back and look at your playing abilities from his standpoint. Are you WORTH soloing? Are you a serious musician? Do you joke around constantly in class? Think about it, and it might just might give you an answer.

I used to be in your sitituation my first and second years in my highschool jazz band (out of four), and to tell you the truth I never did get a solo in the actual jazz band, but I did get alot of them in the combos that my teacher also conducted. Look at other avenues if you have them.
If this is a big band setting, your instructor may feel that your other bandmates (or you) can't handle the transition to a big band bass solo. It's just not common there. My instructor loves transcribed solos with some ad lib, so maybe transcribe solos for the songs you are playing and show them to him.
LOL i like the first reply and its a latin type song and idk maybe ill just wait for him to notice my AWESOME ability
nick i pm you check it
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by Sylvesterin
First, Bass is no solo instrument

says who? I don't remember recieving a book of rules when i started playing
Quote by bassnick
hey im in my high school jb and my instructor wont even give me a SOLO geez i show him how good i am and he will give ne1 else a solo but not me!!!!!!! i was wondering wat to do?

Get him to play Chica de Espana, it has a nice little bass lick at about bar 49, sounds cool with wah
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by bassnick
LOL i like the first reply and its a latin type song and idk maybe ill just wait for him to notice my AWESOME ability

If its a latin beat song it could be more important for you to hold down the groove than any other kind of song. My instructor won't let me solo on latin songs to help keep the band together.
Quote by watchingmefall
Is your instructor Jack Black?

(He can also come as Mr. Schneebly)

is your post spam?

(yes.)

Quote by elemenohpee

4. Your conductor know more about music than you do, if there is a place for a bass solo he will let you do it. If there isn't he's not going to give you one. Depending on the music style you might and the song structure you might be able to get one.

I feel this is it. I can't picture a latin type jazz song with a bass solo where it wouldn't be obnoxious. You'd have to be very tasteful. And I think the fact that your trying to talk your director into leading you bass solo because you're so "AWESOME", shows a slight lack of taste there bro.

Wait for a better song. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^ Bass fills, on the other hand, could really spice up a latin song..

but i agree, just wait for a better song.

oh how i wish someone woulda recorded my bass solo not to brag, but i was REALLY proud of it, not because it sounded great or anything, but because i was running through a 20W amp (audience of like 300 people) and i still had decent tone, and i made AFAIK no mistakes and i wasnt scared. Cause i actually have stage fright sometimes... well actually that solo was the only time. i guess its cause the only 2 people playing during the solo was me and the drummer, and he was way back in the band, and i was out in the side where everyone could see. i get scared when im "alone" playing. When im with my actual band, i have people around me also rockin out so i aint scared i guess.