Page 1 of 3
I was just wondering how long people on UG have been playin guitar for and what type of guitars you have got or had? Do you think your good for the amount of time you've been playing and what have you generaly accomplished and learnt in your time playing guitar?

I got my first guitar last christmas it was a stagg h300 but i didn know anything about guitar besides a few tabs. then i got an ibanez gsa60 i think that was cool and recently i bought a vintage SG which is totaly awesum. Ive been playin for 5 to 6 months i think im ok for the amount of time ive been playin but won t say im good until ive reached all my goals and for the next few weeks im trying to learn the fretboard, learn and understand modes and increase speed.
Last edited by Sadam at Jul 27, 2006,
2 1/2 years. I'm very good indeed by the average standard. Otoh, if i had actually spent all that time with the knowledge i have now i might be good by real standards...

I've accomplished a sound physical, mental and spiritual bond with my guitar. That's great for me.
I've played both Bass and Guitar. And although I would like to turn Professional I'm more at a Hobbyist Level right now. No I'm not good, I'm not great, I'm just between good and ok. I've learned how to how to this very crunchy muting sound without palm muting. The same thing is featured in the cover The House of The Rising Sun by Muse.
I've been playing for nearly 3 years, but I don't think i'm Very good. I'd consider myself decent, but I'm sure I could have done alot more if I'd gotten lessons. Ah well, least My slappings good nowadays.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
10 months- i think i've done good for being self-taught
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
2 years and a month.

But there's tons of one-year'ers who are already on to shredding and whatnot, so I must be pretty bad.
I've been playing for less than a year and a half, i can't play any full songs, but i write music and lyrics, which is pretty good by my standards
Quote by Cliff_Hetfield
I've played both Bass and Guitar. And although I would like to turn Professional I'm more at a Hobbyist Level right now. No I'm not good, I'm not great, I'm just between good and ok. I've learned how to how to this very crunchy muting sound without palm muting. The same thing is featured in the cover The House of The Rising Sun by Muse.
How do you do it?
I've been playing for almost 3 years, in a few months. I think I'm okay, not great or anything, just average. Even though I think some of my friends are better than me, they think I'm better than them.

I guess I felt accomplished when someone heard one of my songs and thought it was really good. I guess...
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
About 10 years, off and on. I'm not particularly great, but I've never tried to be. I've owned a handful of guitars, starting with a Squier Strat, then an Epiphone G-310. I moved on to the PRS Standard 24, which I still have. Then I bought an American Standard Strat (still have that, too) and a Martin acoustic (still have). My dad gave me his Epiphone 12 string, and I purchased an Ovation acoustic, which I got rid of. Last year I bought a PRS Soapbar II SE and a Martin Backpacker. This year I'll either be building a custom Tele or buying an American Deluxe Tele.
Hi, I'm Peter
I've been playing for seven years and I would consider myself actually a pretty good guitartist. BUT sadly I've always and always will have my crappy yamaha pacifica.
im @ 11 years about now..... (i count by age i can't remember specifically when i started just that i was 15) how good i am depends on who you ask or compare me to, i think i'm pretty decent, i can draw a crowd at a guitar store so i figure that'd place me somewhere in the good category.....
I've been playing for about a year now(just guitar) and bass for about three years. Bass really transfered well.
7 months, just starting to learn how to shred, a tiny bit.

im told im very good for the amount of time i've been playing for. but thats probably because most people in my town or around me are pretty bad at guitar.
Electric guitar, 1 year 1 month, I can learn any song I try hard enough at including no boundaries by mab which i have a few parts left to learn.
so far i think ive been playin the logest out of anyone that has replied thusfar. in august i will be at 13 years or rock n roll goodness

i can play just about anything i like to listen to. i know almost every song by van halen and can play them with no problems. i only play old metal. with the exception of a few BLS songs. umm i think im gonna give cannon rock a shot.

umm the fist song i ever learned in its entirety is crazy train. i love to play pink floyd and rush. i love the chili peppers especually the solo in dani california.

and almost all my stuff is in my sig
Last edited by rocknrollgod at Jul 27, 2006,
I have been playing for 26 years...is that long enough to be called a rock god?
Snatch the pebble from my hand....
I'd been playing on and on for four years. Then I started to take it seriosly, and it's been about a year, since i actually started practicing every day, and learning theory. So, I've been playing for 5 years, but only serious for one

EDIT: changed I've to I'd
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Last edited by modestmouse9191 at Jul 27, 2006,
I've been playing for 2 years, and I guess I do good. My gear's in my sig. My music is too, so you can judge how well I play.

Oh yes, I've been playing bass for about 6 months and drums for about 3. Lots of fun, branching to other instruments.
3 years and counting
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by GuitarGuru1111

No. In time my friend.

Quote by Freepower
2 1/2 years. I'm very good indeed by the average standard. Otoh, if i had actually spent all that time with the knowledge i have now i might be good by real standards...

Seriously?! For some reason I thought you were like pro or something.

3 years this summer, hell yeah. I'm pretty good.

Yet I still have only have a frontman amp...

...BUT IM GETTING A TRAYNOR THIS AUGUST!!!

w00t.
5 days.... seriously and as you can imagine im not that great... I know the major chords and can play nothing but easy songs that anyone can learn but its cool cause 5 days isnt that long i would say
Roughly 8 months(My memory truly is ****ty and I can barely remember the school year previous to this).
I had an acoustic for a few months before that but I never really got into it. It's a ****ty sounding acoustic too, but I didn't appreciate acoustic music back then anyway. I've changed a lot and grown to like a lot more types of music than before(My favorite groups were SOAD, RATM, and Disturbed all of which I still like but I think there is better).
I'm not that great(I've been told I'm pretty good for someone playing as long as I have, but meh), but I want to learn.
7 months, still a beginner but still learning.

Ive learnt most of the theory lessons and colums here on UG and so have been able to write some of my own songs. I can play anything Tool or Wolfmother throws at me (I'd say thats pretty average, but no-one around me plays guitar).

I'm too emabarasssed to say what my gear is at the moment, though it's the same stuff I started with. I am saving up for an ESP LTD EC-400 and a Peavey 6505, and should have the money by February next year! Can't Wait!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by grrrr
I had the guitar for 3.5 years. I suck sh1t.

Well, yes, but are you any good at guitar?

Been playing 2 years now, think I'm pretty good especially considering I spent about 6 months at the start doing exactly the worst practices possible - I was still using one finger for a lot of things.

But then I picked up, and though I've never had formal lessons I've learned from people, books and the internet, and consider myself above average for how long I've been playing, though my limitations constantly annoy me, and I long for the day when I won't have to factor in how long I've been playing into an assessment of my skill level.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy

Been playing 2 years now, think I'm pretty good especially considering I spent about 6 months at the start doing exactly the worst practices possible - I was still using one finger for a lot of things.

But then I picked up, and though I've never had formal lessons I've learned from people, books and the internet, and consider myself above average for how long I've been playing, though my limitations constantly annoy me, and I long for the day when I won't have to factor in how long I've been playing into an assessment of my skill level.

uh...I think I alrdy answered that question about whether I'm good at it or not.
I said I suck SH1T, meaning that I'm not good.

You're first experience at the guitar sounds pretty bad. But mine is just as bad as yours. I'm not even gonna bother typing how sad I was at the guitar. I'll just say this. Even after playing for the first 3 years, I couldn't even hold the pick properly, was holding it by using the tip of the fingers and didn't even know what scales are.
I didn't take any lessons either, nor did I read any guitar books. Plus I had no friends that helped me out. And NOW...3.5 years after having the guitar, I started to take lessons. It's been like 3 weeks and I hoping to improve. I'm pretty sure you're better than me.
Quote by grrrr
uh...I think I alrdy answered that question about whether I'm good at it or not.

He was taking you literally, as if you actually suck shit irrespective of your ability at guitar. BTW, do you prefer your feces steaming, chilled, or room temp?
Hi, I'm Peter
I have been playing about 4-5 months, and I have been teaching myself. I am getting an instructor this august. (He's in a band called oddzar, they have music on Itunes if you want to check the out) I am pleased with how I'm doing so far (Learned how to play full intro, verse, and middle solo in Master of Puppets at about 85% of the normal speed), but I still want to learn more.
Thank you Dirk ^_^

It's always funny to see people who don't play guitar trying to hold a pick... you get the four-fingered clutch, the tentative grasp, the fingertip special, and if you're really lucky, the good ol' thumbless wonder...

EDIT: Slayer, that sounds like damn fast work! Wish I'd started at that rate...
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Been playing electric guitar for a year and a half. 99% self taught (went to a teacher once and felt I was learning faster on my own). Threw myself in at the deep end learning Megadeth and now onto harder stuff like Vai, Satriani and Dream Theater. I also know a mix of classic rock. I know a variety of chord shapes but not the names, I also know a few diatonic and pentatonic scales. No band yet and no stage experience.
ive been playing a new york pro strat style guitar since christmas and im getting really good at it . also , i already wrote 14 or 15 songs already . half of my songs is just plain metal , the other half are ballads with heavy parts in it . im a lot better at playing ballads than i do shredding though
bout 5-6 years, i should be a lot better than i am. never went thru a shred phase, which definitely hurt me technique wise, so now i'm trying to improve that end of my playing with practice and constantly bothering ppl in the shred technique thread i've also recently gotten into jazz. while i can claim in the past i just wrote songs and messed around on guitar, now i am taking the instrument seriously, so a year from now i'll have no excuse if i can't say i'm good.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Five years.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by GuitarGuru1111

yes yes it does. I've been playing a year and the most complicated thing i can play is probably "Peace Sells" by megadeth. I can play all the solos and make it sounds pretty good, i've got it almost completely memorized. Is this good progress?
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Page 1 of 3