So I'm undertaking the task of upgrading my rig, mainly my amp. I've decided on an Orange AD30 head and a Marshall JCM900 head, but I'm yet to decide on a cab. I finally tried an Orange AD30 through a Carvin cab with G12-T75's and the tone was disappointing, to say the least, so I've been looking at Avatars. I've tested Oranges through Orange cabs, which have V30's, but the Orange cabs are a completely different beast compared to the Avatars, so I was wondering if it would be worth the gamble to just get the Avatar loaded with V30's?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Marshall 1960A
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I'm staying away from G12-T75 equipped cabs. They don't go very well with Oranges.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I forgot to include I'm on about a $400 - $500 budget. Money is an object for me haha.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I have an avatar... built like a tank... looks great... 3/4 closed back... you can have him totally close the back though... that ought to do it.

Both cabinet and speakers matter so if you like the V30s go with them.

I personally like the G12H30s.

If you decide to go with the a cab and need some V30s... I have 2 16 ohm vintage 30s. I have played them about 30 hours... so they are broken in but not really used esp. since I sold my head to get a blues jr combo.

anyway... Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
^ lol

Its not just the speakers that make the sound the way it sounds... lol
Alot of it is also the cab construction, wood used...etc. And from what I hear Avatar lacks in these departments.

If you can Id stick with an Orange cab to be uber safe.
I like the G12H30's also, but I can't seem to find a cab with G12H30's in them to try the Orange through. I was seriously considering the Avatar just because of the 14 day money back guarantee and just buying a G412 custom and a G212H and using a combination of G12H30's and V30's in the G412 and using V30's in the G212.

EDIT:
I'd really like an Orange cab, but that's a little out of my price range. I was also considering a Carvin V3 cab and getting V30's in it.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by rocknrollgod
try the MF-400 cabs. they are made for the mf-350 head but will work with the and marhsall head. they pump out 400w of power

They dont "pump out" 400w of power. They can handle up to a 400w amp head.

Threadstarter, are you buying both?
At seperate times, yes. My parents are paying half of the AD30 for Christmas and I'm getting a 25% discount because I'm buying it through a friend who works at the Guitar Center and I plan on buying the JCM900 a couple of months afterwards.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I dunno about the avatars man, I was just talking to Genocide last night about his avatar 4x12, and he was very unhappy with it. These were his exact words:

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I bought a used avatar cab, checked it out before I bought it, even taking the speakers out and checking them as well. It made the ride home, and lasted a few weeks, but after toying around with the rectifier it came with (the only cab I had that matched impedance with the 8 or 4 ohm single recto) I noticed it started to make a horrific farting noise when I had any bass or volume. I thought it was just the rectifier, so I unplugged it and didn't touch it. I decided to play another amp through the cab, because v30s are dominating in the field of asskickery, and I noticed the same thing with my powerball. I wasnt about to let this 'avatar' cab, which i had heard so many great things about, destroy my tone. I plugged back into my 5150 cabs and had no problem.

A few weeks go by and I decide to try it again, thinking maybe a speaker is blown or something of that nature. while strumming around and listening to the speakers I lean down and press my hand against the angled baffle of the cabinet... The 'farting' flabby noise stops. I move my hand away from the cab, it resumes its gassy nature amongst my palm muted chords. I take a look up against the cab and the angled baffle has slipped back inwards to the cab.. not only that, it has come free of the nails holding, breaking the CHIP BOARD that they used to construct the cab.

Thats right, I bought an avatar cab and the only decent thing about it was the handles and the speakers. It was made of 5/8" chip board, not oriented strand board or plywood, chip board. the baffle, as far as I can tell, wasnt glued in, only nailed with 1" carpenter's finishing nails, the headless kind. Knowing this, I still would have bought it because now I have 4 vintage 30s to put in cabs that I have made; however, if you were looking to use the cabs I would have serious doubts about the company. The avatar cabinet I own (which is now home to one of my grandfather's cats in his shop) made my 5150 cabs look like tanks.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yes, I'm very hyped about this rig myself haha. I plan on also building a pedalboard and purchasing a Line 6 FM-4 and a couple of Boss pedals.

EDIT
I saw Genocide's testimony, too. But IbanezSZ4Life's rig sounds great. Maybe Avatar is getting to be like Gibson?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
They dont "pump out" 400w of power. They can handle up to a 400w amp head.

Threadstarter, are you buying both?

do us all a favor and dont listen to this guy. he obviously dosnt know what a watt is.
Quote by rocknrollgod
do us all a favor and dont listen to this guy. he obviously dosnt know what a watt is.

youre an idiot AND an asshole. Congrats, thats hard to accomplish. Now go sit in the corner and face the wall.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
youre an idiot AND an asshole. Congrats, thats hard to accomplish. Now go sit in the corner and face the wall.

i know i am

and

thank you.

have a nice day
I haven't had a problem with my avatar. It is Birch plywood not chip board. I could jump on the thing for a month and it would be fine... somebody must have got a bad one.

Here your go. http://www.swansoncabinets.com/Cabs.html

or get a mesa 212 recto cab. Or EVEN COOLER. Mesa Makes 1 12 widebody cabinets with 3/4 closed backs... they have ridiculous reviews on harmony-central... I used to have one but sold it t o help pay for my strat. It sounded huge. You can get them for like $250 off ebay. You could just buy 2 of them and have a sweet stack.

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Quote by GuitarMD
I haven't had a problem with my avatar. It is Birch plywood not chip board. I could jump on the thing for a month and it would be fine... somebody must have got a bad one.

Here your go. http://www.swansoncabinets.com/Cabs.html

or get a mesa 212 recto cab. Or EVEN COOLER. Mesa Makes 1 12 widebody cabinets with 3/4 closed backs... they have ridiculous reviews on harmony-central... I used to have one but sold it t o help pay for my strat. It sounded huge. You can get them for like $250 off ebay. You could just buy 2 of them and have a sweet stack.

Good Luck

Although their cabs look good, I'm more in the market for a 4x12. I've been searching all over for other cheap cabs and no luck

EDIT
Actually, I found this. This seems VERY interesting.
http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/4000119.html
I was thinking I could dish out the extra cash to buy some V30's and basically have myself a Marshall cab with V30's. They also make custom 4x12's for $500. I'm very interested...
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Last edited by Ambulance X at Jul 27, 2006,