Theres a few main styles of guitar, i want to know what genres they suit best and what would be the best all round guitar style cos i play, metal, punk, rock, pop and most music liek that so.... any ideas,

by the way the styles i was talkin bout are:
SG
Les Paul
Strat
Tele
SG=Classic Rock
Les Paul=Rock, Blues, Jazz, Metal, etc...
Strat=Blues, Country, Jazz, Classic Rock, Rock, Pop
Tele=Country, Rock, Classic Rock
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I can see this already dozens of people saying
Tele=country
SG=metal
strat=blues
les paul=rock
All of these guitars have been used by somebody in almosy ANY genre and have sounded good. Really I think that amps that would be more "Designed" for a particular area but again I think you should be considering YOUR desired sound and not the stereotypical sound of metal, rock, pop ect.

another dream
i was taking a shower
and i took my penis off to wash it
but i couldnt figure out how to put it back on
so it ran away- Superunkown
beatiful anecdote
id really like an sg but i dont know whether it would suit a range of styles as i heard it smainly a metal guitar, and i would like an LP but the problem is i was told it has a chucky neck which makes it slow to move around on so solos and things are tougher on it?
The SG can do anything, it's a really versatile guitar. It also has the best fret access of any guitar I've ever played, including Ibanez RGs etc.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Id say the first three are very versitile and could probably fit most any kind of music youre wanting to play (with maybe a little bit of pickup switching, etc), but the Tele imho, while a good guitar, is much less versitile than the previous guitars.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I use a purely singlecoiled strat for heavy rock sometimes, it depends what sound im looking for. Sometimes i use my les paul too.
They are all honestly very versatile. You should not ask what they are like but what the differences in sound and playability actually are. They are all well suited to Rock, Blues, Pop, and more old school metal just as well. Of course, one may be better for a certain genre.

Generally, people like SGs because of their "bite", or "growl", and amazing upper fret access. Also, they are nice and light for a mahogany axe. However, most of then neck dive very badly.

Les Pauls are knon for incredible sustain, classic beauty, and rich tone due to their body being a huge ass slab of mahogany. However, upper fret access does quite suck and they are heavy beasts.

The two Fenders are favoured by those looking for a more vintage style, generally. Their single coils are brighter, but get feedback etc.

The Strat is widely considered very versatile, especially in HSS, and is the most comfortable guitar you will ever play, and it is hard to find a fault in them.

The Telecaster is poular because of its "Twang", the trebly sound that it is known for due to its bridge pickup. It also sustains well, and can be quite versatile within it's strong point of blues and country. On the downside, some don't like the fat neck, and simple, un-contoured body shape.

Whoo, that was a lot. Hope I cleared something up tho lol.
SG - Music
Les Paul - Music
Strat - Music
Tele - Music

Seriously, man, don't think that just because a guitar has been used for a genre, that it can only be used for that genre. A guitar isn't a style, it's a tool.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
if u want a good guitar for metal go pickup a jackson doesnt get much better than that for metal
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by Vermintide
They are all honestly very versatile. You should not ask what they are like but what the differences in sound and playability actually are. They are all well suited to Rock, Blues, Pop, and more old school metal just as well. Of course, one may be better for a certain genre.

Generally, people like SGs because of their "bite", or "growl", and amazing upper fret access. Also, they are nice and light for a mahogany axe. However, most of then neck dive very badly.

Les Pauls are knon for incredible sustain, classic beauty, and rich tone due to their body being a huge ass slab of mahogany. However, upper fret access does quite suck and they are heavy beasts.

The two Fenders are favoured by those looking for a more vintage style, generally. Their single coils are brighter, but get feedback etc.

The Strat is widely considered very versatile, especially in HSS, and is the most comfortable guitar you will ever play, and it is hard to find a fault in them.

The Telecaster is poular because of its "Twang", the trebly sound that it is known for due to its bridge pickup. It also sustains well, and can be quite versatile within it's strong point of blues and country. On the downside, some don't like the fat neck, and simple, un-contoured body shape.

Whoo, that was a lot. Hope I cleared something up tho lol.

Well said I agree with vermintide.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Hairy Henry
I can see this already dozens of people saying
Tele=country
SG=metal
strat=blues
les paul=rock
All of these guitars have been used by somebody in almosy ANY genre and have sounded good. Really I think that amps that would be more "Designed" for a particular area but again I think you should be considering YOUR desired sound and not the stereotypical sound of metal, rock, pop ect.

An SG for METAL!!!???? WTF is wrong with people? The 13 yr olds of UG are now officially dubbed RETARDED ASS POLES!!!

(I'm not referring to you Hairy Henry BTW)

Strat: Blues and Classic Rock
SG: Classic and 70's Rock (I guess that's about the same thing...)
Les Paul: Just about anything
Tele: Classic Rock, Pussy Rock
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
An SG for METAL!!!???? WTF is wrong with people? The 13 yr olds of UG are now officially dubbed RETARDED ASS POLES!!!

I was afraid I was the only one that thought that was off...

You'll find an LP in any genre... rock, metal, punk, blues, anything, it'll work. LPs are probably one of the greatest all around guitars out there IMO.
Quote by StaggHound
SG - Music
Les Paul - Music
Strat - Music
Tele - Music

Seriously, man, don't think that just because a guitar has been used for a genre, that it can only be used for that genre. A guitar isn't a style, it's a tool.

+1
Quote by metalmaster362
if u want a good guitar for metal go pickup a jackson doesnt get much better than that for metal

Yes it does.

Ibanez.
ESP.
Schecter.
Dean.
Gibson.
I wouldnt buy any jackson short of a soloist : /. Just not worth it to me.
Plus I prefer matte finish necks for my guitars, Not raw maple.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by StaggHound
SG - Music
Les Paul - Music
Strat - Music
Tele - Music

A-F***ING-MEN!
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.