What are good types of picks to use for metal?? Do I want thick or thin, and are there any brands that stand out?
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
I like dunlop stubbys. There nice and thick , they kinda slide right off the string. i think there good for metal(at least what i play). There really durable too. I just wish my store carried more colors. They only carry purple >_<
we must become the change we want to see.
as a side thread on this, whats good for fast alternate picking..?
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
Jim Dunlop Jazz III there are a little bit smaller but they are great for metal rhythm and leads.. if u have big fingers or whatever they also have Jim Dunlop JazzIII XL series wich is the same just a big bigger in size not guage
I use the small size Dunlop Tortex picks, the Tortex Jazz I believe. I'm not sure of the gauge because the numbers wore off but they're the kinda purpley ones. They are at least 1.0mm. Anyways, best picks I've ever used. THe shape is small so they play quickly and I find I get better hand control. Also the Tortex sticks to your fingers when they get moist with sweat so you don't drop these babies.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
ummm whatever you fell comfortable with, usually thicker ones, with good grip, but seriously, does it matter? you could cut out a carboard pick if you wanted to and it would work fine as long as you know how to play
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
the thin ones are better for alternate picking i think

i play often somewhat bordering on hardcore punk and mostly its all tremolo picked powerchords. thin ones are easy best for this
i use planet waves 0.76mm i like their thickness, not too hard that they get caught in the strings easily for a noob liky myself
Quote by andyroo_g
dyou play lead or rhythm?

I switch it up at times sometimes I do lead and my friend does rhythem and vice versa
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
DUnlop Tortex and Dunlop Jazz III seem to almost be industry standard you cant go wrong with either and for metal thicker picks seem to be better for alternate picking and stuff but its all opinion play with what you feel most comfortable
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
If you use a smaller thick pick you will have an easier time hitting pinch harmonics. Bigger picks will be more advantageous for PALM MUTING.

my 2 cents
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
I use Ibanez ones.. it's blue, has a skull on one side, the Ibanez logo on the other. the point is sharper than normal picks, and it's about 1mm thick, so it's thick enough for most stuff, but not too thick. it's just perfect for metal, especially tremolo picking and stuff.