I just wondered whether we can have a place for all the electrical types who do custom tube amps, I know there are some here

I just got my Trainwreck Express clone working, and MY GOD it was a bitch to get right.

I used photos of one of the original amps and layout drawings to get my layout and wire routing etc. identical to that of an original 'Wreck, as the things are just so sensitive to even the smallest internal changes...everything inside 'em is just so overdriven that they are running on the edge of self-oscillation, or not having any clean headroom, or any one of a number of problems.

Anyway, the good part is it's working, and it has that sensitivity to my playing that the original 'Wrecks are famous for...they can play clean, but as you really dig into the strings and turn up the guitar volume dial then the bite comes in.

A great amp for my classic rock/bluesy side - can't keep it for long though, I was building it for someone.

The other stuff I've done includes a 2:30 6L6 double SE poweramp for my rack system, some low-wattage mini-head (1W based on the reverb amplifier circuit from a Fender Twin) for recording, a Soldano SLO clone running into a 20W power stage (so it can hit tube saturation at useful volumes) and some Marshall Plexi copy.

Sadly, I don't have a digital camera..I might borrow one from someone to get some pictures up here if anyone is interested

The only one of these amps I still have is the rack poweramp, all the other stuff was for other people (still got the 'Wreck for a few days, going to be fun!)
Yeah, I was hoping to solicit my friends into buying tube amps from me. That way I get to build amps, but not have to spend money building amps.

I've built two amps, it's not impressive as your assortment, but I don't have money to build any more
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 27, 2006,
Submitted for your aproval!

Buying an old style tube amp sterio from a goodwill, and modifying it into an amp?

Meh but that still kicks ass! Am I to properly assume that Wreck Amps are good for distortion? D: Sounds like it would be! What kinda tone it got? Bright? Warm?
I've only built one because of cash purposes, a Fender 5e3 type amp. Right now my amp project is cleaning up an old 1968 Fender Bassman...just doing stuff like wiping dust off, gluing the tolex back on in spots, changing the capacitors, etc.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I'm into DIYing a lot of effects pedals and figure the next logical step in the future will be moving up to amps. Do you find the websites on the net helpful and just how dangerous is it (i can't figure out whether those disclaimers on sites like AX84 are to protect their own asses or mine).
Last edited by suicidalmoose at Jul 28, 2006,
it cant be very dangerous if you **** up, but if you follow instructions and have some clue about what your doing you should be fine.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
well i'm used to DC circuits and it's no big deal to follow instructions but i might have a go if i get some of my nerdy electrician friends to check stuff out. seems like an affordable way to get a tube amp. Joel_grieve have you had any problem building amps of those websites?
i haven't built any......but it common logic. just know what your doing and you'll be fine
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
ahh rite. well i know what i'm doing to a degree i was just wondering whether the websties are helpful or not.

It doesn't take a 3 year degree to make anythign electrical (i've never done an IT degree but i set up a corporate network with Microsoft exchange server and sharepoint services along with VPN routing for our overseas employees - just proves that all those tutorials and all that help online is really useful if you run into problems - equally ive done a lot electronic projects).

I here there's some pretty terminal voltages in those tubes tho. anything between 0.1 and 0.2 amps is pretty lethal but beyond or below is fine apparently.
Quote by Fast_Bear
Submitted for your aproval!

Buying an old style tube amp sterio from a goodwill, and modifying it into an amp?

Meh but that still kicks ass! Am I to properly assume that Wreck Amps are good for distortion? D: Sounds like it would be! What kinda tone it got? Bright? Warm?

They're not "metal" amps, but they do the overdriven Marshall sound better than anything...crank 'em and you get EVH, and they clean up very well as you turn down the guitar volume knob.

The tone is thick as hell, with a "singing" high end and incredible response to your playing.
any links for newbs who'd like to get into amp building? links to kits, build guides etc. I know ax84.com is a good place to look, but some in the UK as well would be great, thanks
Quote by suicidalmoose
I'm into DIYing a lot of effects pedals and figure the next logical step in the future will be moving up to amps. Do you find the websites on the net helpful and just how dangerous is it (i can't figure out whether those disclaimers on sites like AX84 are to protect their own asses or mine).

Both, you're working with maybe 600+ volts in some cases.

Most amp kits cost around... $400-500+. But if you're a McCheapAss, you can get bare components, and mount it in a chassis all for around maybe... $200-300. Or less, depending on the parts you'll need.
Quote by punkish
any links for newbs who'd like to get into amp building? links to kits, build guides etc. I know ax84.com is a good place to look, but some in the UK as well would be great, thanks

If you want kits and stuff, www.madamp.biz is probably the nearest to the UK.

Schematics for various things are available all over the place...ax84 is ok, AMPAGE (firebottle.com), and many other places. I use Bluebell Audio (http://www.bluebellaudio.com/) as a supplier for parts (yeah, I live in the UK too).

What you really need, though, is an understanding of the actual electronics of how the things work
yeh, the understanding is the bit i was hoping to pick up by buildin a kit, im ok with electrics and stuff, and i can use a soldering iron, but the different valves around and different methods for constructin the circuits are escaping my understanding. im looking to build a small cab before my head though, as i only have my (tiny) combo as yet, and thats no good to a head. im just looking around doing some research for the time being. http://www.ampmaker.com is in the UK, and the kits look good, with a fairly comprehensive online guide...