Page 1 of 2
ok looking to buy a Valve Amp for Bout £600 i bean lookin at the Engl Screamer 50 and the Marshall TSL601 i play A7X, Trivium, Metallica, Ozzy, Led Zepp, Muse(i think matt uses an engl in supermassive blackhole video) Gnr which would suit me best cheers
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
i would seriously consider the ENGL. I would prob get that if I had any money.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Hey!
Matt and corey from trivium use marshall dsl 100
The guys from avenged sevenfold use bogner ubershall
Zakk wylde from ozzy's band uses his own signature marshall jcm 800
Not shure about what metallica uses.
It all comes down to what particular tone you are looking for but between the 2 model i'd go with the engl.
I would go for the ENGL, try them out (or at least see if you can try the Marshall ) and see if you like the Marshall, if you don't love it go for the ENGL.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Engl Thunder would eat them all out of the water, I really don't like JCM 2000s - they're just so mediocore
-Mike
Quote by moomoocons
Metallica = Mesa Boogie

Depends, new Metallica = Diezel VH4
Quote by CodySG

true, and also a Randall (as a slave-out I believe).
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by CodySG

no, kirk still uses a recto. and that's live. in the studio they track hundreds of amps )especialy on load and re-load), what gets put on the final mix they dont even know some times.

amps on st. anger
dual recto
deizel vh4
deizel herbert
mesa mark IV
mesa mark III
mesa mark IIIC+
peavey 5150
modded peavey 5150
other various mesa's
other various marshalls
mix of different tubes, settings, and cabs.

so limiting them down to one amp is a retarded thing to do.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
hmmmm, alot of the bands u mentioned use marshalls or amps based on marshalls, ive never tried an eng so i cant really say anything, but i own a TSL100 and love it, it can do rock and metal plus 3 channels is never a bad thing
its a matter of which you prefer in the end. obviously all the fan boys will jump at the engl, and so would i, but its a matter of which you prefer. the issue with the marshall is...well it sounds like a marshall. the marshall tone is very popular and very subjective. so try and ye shall recieve.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Dirt Joe: what i said for metallica goes for most profesional bands.

they track several amps in the the stuidio. not to say theres not a dominate tone in the mix, but there's usually at least 2 different voicings per guitar going on. but they have a favorite for live use.

Joel: personaly, i hate marshall tone for high gain. but for crunch, i love it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

derek: i like the 'high' gain because you get a bit of a crunch with it. gives those chords a punch.

i like bands using a DSL and a recto side by side. sounds sweet and really fills out.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
eh, marshalls just don't have enough definition and attack for me at high gain levels.

powerball and uberschall
or
powerball and 5150

now thats tone to kill.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

framus cobra for me. dark, not too dark, just dark enough. like a recto with bigger balls.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Id have to say im now in love with my TSL.

It completly rapes the XXX, like, anally rapes it.
wow. anal rape. i prefer the DSL, but thats just me.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
cheers ill have to try and try out the engl
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
cheers ill have to try and try out the engl
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Quote by joel_grieve
framus cobra for me. dark, not too dark, just dark enough. like a recto with bigger balls.

Yeah, I much prefer Framus for dark tones - I'm just really not into the recto.
-Mike
try them both out, to be honest. I haven't tried the thunder, that might do what you want.

Problem is, while I think the engls are better than those marshalls, most of those bands use marshalls...

look into some laneys too- the tt50 combo, mainly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheFluffy
Id have to say im now in love with my TSL.

It completly rapes the XXX, like, anally rapes it.

i'd aslo have to say that you didn't know how to work an eq forever.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
no, kirk still uses a recto. and that's live. in the studio they track hundreds of amps )especialy on load and re-load), what gets put on the final mix they dont even know some times.

amps on st. anger
dual recto
deizel vh4
deizel herbert
mesa mark IV
mesa mark III
mesa mark IIIC+
peavey 5150
modded peavey 5150
other various mesa's
other various marshalls
mix of different tubes, settings, and cabs.

so limiting them down to one amp is a retarded thing to do.

Wow, quite phenomenal losers to have equipment only people could dream of, then make one of the greatest disasters in the history of mankind!

Well done James and Kirk (and Bob C0ck), i salute you for your shear stupidity, making Mesa's and Diezels sound like a fat man was sitting on them.
actually, the tone on st. anger kicks ass, it's the same ****ing tone you, and 99% of other people here drool over. and i quite like the album in general.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

It was an ok album, I do love the tone and it might have been a good album in someone elses hands but it's just not Metallica and I think that's why people didn't like it very much. I could listen to it, but like I said it's not my fav.
that's usually everybody's excuse, zomg it doesn't sound like metallica!

ok, does it have to? are bands not allowed to try something new?

i mean christ everbody complains that everything sounds the same and their tierd of the same old sound but then when a band tries to re-invent itself everbody pisses them selves and badmouths it because 'it's not classic metallica.'
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

no it really is a shïtty album - like i give a crap about chage, they're terrible now - "im so angry!" - they SUCK live now too, it's just boring as hell and scary to see them - just look at how gay lars, james, and that monkey are
-Mike
It's not that they changed the sound, it's that they sounded like a completely different band. I don't care that they want to try something different, but it just didn't seem right to me. I'm not even that big of a 'Tallica fan anyway so it doesn't bug me really at all, but I can see where some people would flip out....
Hmmmmm well listen to the lead tones on Some Kind of Monster. Erugh!

We need someone like Bonamassa with his Budda's. Thats valve tone for ya!
haha my thread about engl and marshalls has turned into a St Anger thread i like it lol
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
I'm listening to St. Anger this second, I thought the guitars sounded great, punchy; The only thing I didn't like as much was Lars' drums, but they're not as bad sounding as everyone says.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by CodySG
It's not that they changed the sound, it's that they sounded like a completely different band. I don't care that they want to try something different, but it just didn't seem right to me. I'm not even that big of a 'Tallica fan anyway so it doesn't bug me really at all, but I can see where some people would flip out....

threadstarter: it's davedooms fault!
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i dont mind lol its funny
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
i think i need to try the engl and the marshall first and see which one i like best anyway back to st anger :P
My Gear
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Wish List
Marshall DSL401
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Maxon OD-9
Boss DD-3
Digitech Whammy
ISP Decimator
MXR Phase 90 EVH
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Lol, sure we did. We have nothing better to do than troll the posts we have posted in and jump the gun when it's time to go crazy!!!
dave: i'm way to opinionated to pass up an argument.

bobman: i'd persoanly go with the ENGL, as channel 3 on the screamer sounds marshall-esque. it's still an ENGL though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by CodySG
ENGL Ftw

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565