Poll: Which is the best option to get the effects I need?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best option to get the effects I need?
Korg Toneworks AX3000G - $300
1 2%
Digitech GNX3000 - $350
2 4%
Line 6 PODXT Live - $400
13 25%
$400 of individual pedals
35 69%
Voters: 51.
Page 1 of 2
Which of these would be my best, and most effective option for getting effects? I'm looking to spend $400 or less no matter which option is the best. I want effects to use for my every day practice, songwriting, and band practice in the future. I want good, easy to use effects that I can switch on and off through a single song.

I play stuff like The Mars Volta, and the music I write myself is also very effect heavy (although I can't add the effects I want in at the moment because I dont have any effects to work with).

So, which would be my best option?

Korg Toneworks AX3000G for $300

Line 6 PODXT Live for $400

Digitech GNX3000 for $350

$400 worth of individual pedals

I'd be using whatever effects I'd get heavily and through my MG for at least a few more months, possibly longer.

Please keep in mind that I'll be switching effects rapidly and multiple times in a single song, so I need something that will let me do that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Also, the individual pedals I would buy would be;

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah
Big Muff Pi
MXR Phase 90
Boss SD-1/DS-1
A Flanger
And an EQ Pedal
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Individual pedals... that way they sound more... individual. Those are all good (especially the podxt) but everything sounds kinda digital... make sure you get an MXR EQ (6 or 10 band) so you can really shape your tone easier.
I think you picked the three best multi units on the market. They're all good but I personally prefer and chose the PODxtLive, I think it's amp-modeling (even though you might not use it for that) is a bit better and it has more pedals on the board, therefore more tones available at any given time. Honestly though, it'll sound better and less digital if you get a better, preferably tube, amp.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Yes, I'm working on the amp, but I'm not upgrading anytime in the extremely near future.

So far the poll is leaning way towards individual pedals. I just looked up the MXR 10-band EQ and it looks great. I'm adding it to the list.

As for Distortion/overdrive, would it be pointless to buy the Boss SD-1 now, since I'd be buying a tube screamer once I upgrade to a tube amp? Would it just be better to buy the DS-1 for now with the MG? Or would it be much better to just buy the tube screamer now?

So far for a pedal list I have:

MXR M-108 Ten Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Boss DS-1/SD-1
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah

Then I'd need a flanger as well. Any suggestions for that?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Anyone else have suggestions?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Flanger? Boss? idk... Im working on making an FX rack (power conditioner/tuner/FX-G-Major?/something else idk)..
DO NOT buy a multieffects unit. They rarely sound like the real deal and real pedals allow for so much more reliability and versatility. Also, get a new amp above all else, because even if you have a full set of Moog pedals, it doesnt mean **** unless you got a solid amp to run it throught (a solid amp, not to be confused with a solid state).
^ yeah Multi-FX sound like ass if youre using THAT to get ALL your sound. I have a Triple Recto...and Im getting an FX rack set up with JUST effects (delay, chorus, phase, flange, reverb...etc) and those sound really good.
Yeah, I was just looking at the Boss Flanger, but I just don't know if it will be able to get the sound I want. I'm looking for a flanger sound like in the intro of "Roulette Dares (This is The Haunt)." I listened to the previews of the Boss Flanger and one of the previews got close to the sound I'm looking for, but not close enough. I'm aiming for a more "whooshing" sound - would the Boss Flanger be able to get that?

Also, does anyone else have anything to say about the Multi's?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Yeah, I was just looking at the Boss Flanger, but I just don't know if it will be able to get the sound I want. I'm looking for a flanger sound like in the intro of "Roulette Dares (This is The Haunt)." I listened to the previews of the Boss Flanger and one of the previews got close to the sound I'm looking for, but not close enough. I'm aiming for a more "whooshing" sound - would the Boss Flanger be able to get that?

thats what a flanger does man...a whooshing sound.

And about the multi's:

Things like V-Amps and stuff...like the ones that have the built in distortions/speaker sims and all...they suck.

The good ones Im talking about have ONLY effects (chorus, delay, flange, phase...etc.) and are designed for use with guitar amps...usually in the FX loop. These can all be controlled with a midi foot controller and with most you can run a lot of effects at once.
Quote by Xenn99

you wont....

because of the MG
Would buying a big muff and a DS-1 be overkill? I own a big muff, but i really love the crunch of the DS-1. The big muff is a bit to harsh for some things that i need...and the DS-1 really fills that void
Yeah, yeah...I know. New amp. I got it. It's just out of the question for now, so I'm getting my pedal board going.

Yes, I know the flanger makes a whooshing sound. Hence why I'm looking to buy one. I just want to make sure that the Boss Flanger will get the sound I'm looking for. I'll go try to find out what exact flanger was used for the song I mentioned. I guess that will be the best way to get the same sound.

I know that the Multi Effects processors are great-and I'd love to have one, but I just don't have $1000 to drop right now. $400 is my budget for effects at the moment. And right now it's looking like I can get a really good pedal board going for that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
K...hve you thought about NOT spending the $400..saving up another $100 or so and looking at something like a XXX or another tube combo...??

[edit] lol wow good timing with your last post!
Quote by HeartInACage
Would buying a big muff and a DS-1 be overkill? I own a big muff, but i really love the crunch of the DS-1. The big muff is a bit to harsh for some things that i need...and the DS-1 really fills that void

I'm looking at using both. The MG's distortion is...suitable...for some things, but I just can't get a slight bit of distortion out of it. Will the DS-1 fix that, or would I need something else to fill that gap in between Clean and Mid Distortion?

As for the Big Muff Pi, I defintely want the fuzz effect. I've heard it get put to great use and I know I'd defintely use it.

Also, JET116, are you illiterate? Can you not read? In almost every post in this thread I've said that I am upgrading from the MG, it will just be a few months. The MG is just going to get used until I upgrade to a full tube amp later this year or early next year, so instead of being an ass hole, try to help a bit. And, if you're too ignorant to help, why post at all in this thread?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by kurdtkobaign
K...hve you thought about NOT spending the $400..saving up another $100 or so and looking at something like a XXX or another tube combo...??

[edit] lol wow good timing with your last post!

Yes, actually, I have. But, my problem would be that I have no effects to work with. And to be honest, I'd rather have bad tone from my MG and all the effects I need to write my music with, than have an amp with great tone that I can just imitate other people's music with. I'm sure I'd be able to get some great sounds out of a good amp, but the fact is that I still wouldn't have effects to go with it for another 6-8 months, and then my writing will be stunted.

Yes, I can always write a song without the effects and add them later, but a lot of effects can inspire a song all on their own. Plus, being able to perfect songs now with all the effects will be a huge help 6-8 months down the road when I'm in a band and possibly gigging and recording.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i think the point is that it might be better to upgrade to the tube amp earlier.... and the pedals later....

I have an MG, and plenty of effects... and quite honestly... it doesn't take effects well...

personally... i'd drop that 400 on an amp... and get the effects later...

if you're set on getting the effects first... i'd go with individual pedals... but of the multis... i like the PODXT best

edit.... and you beat me to the punch....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
But good tone also inspires songwriting. not just effects. IMO having a good amp is more important then a lot of effects.
Well, I could pull off upgrading to a cheaper tube amp like a Peavey Valveking now, but I've been told that those are sh*t and to just stick with my MG for now until I would be able to get a better tube amp.

And, like I said, even if I'm not getting very good tone, It will still let me be able to perfect all of the songs I'm writing so that 6-8 months when I'll actually be playing the songs with a band, recording, and possibly playing live, I'll have them down and not need to rush to throw them together once I can get all the pedals I need. The effects are a lot more important to me at the moment. If there are other good tube amps around $500 or so please recommend them, but for now that would be my limit for an amp upgrade. I need the effects now, but I have a working amp. It may have bad tone, but it works and I can use it.

EDIT: Also, as far as good tone inspiring writing, I'm sure it can, but for the stuff I'm writing I need the effects. It's also not like I'll never get a tube amp. I'm getting one soon. It's not like using the MG for a few more months is going to kill me.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jul 28, 2006,
If you can so easily get enough money for a tube amp after you spend the 400 on pedals, just save now and get a REALLY good tube amp, or get a tube amp when you get the pedals so you know what sounds good through your kickass amp.
I don't know how much help this will be, but if you're going to buy an amp instead, make sure you know what you want and be willing to spend a good amount on it. If you settle for something less, you will be disappointed. I went from the same amp you did to a Fender '65 Super Reverb RI (got it for $650 used) and it's the best decision I've made. If I were you, I would save up more for an amp that I really wanted. I have NO effects at all (except a wah that I never use) and I'm very satisfied with my setup. But I play jazz and blues, so I don't really need any effects. I might pick up an OD sometime though. I don't know much about the music you play, but my advice would be to save up for a good amp and try and pick up an OD pedal on the way. You could probably live with that for a while.

And just for the hell of it, look up the Boss EQ-20 equalizer. It's been discontinued, but I've heard awesome things about them and you can find them on eBay.

Edit: But if you really think that effects are the most important thing to you right now, then definitely buy single effects. They sound much better.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
HeartInACage, the store I bought the MG from will give me full credit or close to full credit if I trade it in. So, the $400 that the Peavey Valveking costs is actually only about $25 and another $25 if I get the foot pedal for it (which I will). So, $450 for a low end tube amp and a good pedal board. But, it still comes down to the Valveking being loved by some and hated by others.

If it's a good amp, I'll go for it and skip the amp upgrade later. I can always put some good tubes in it and get a better speaker for it, which I've read makes the sound much, much better. I may still upgrade down the road from it, but not anytime soon if I'd buy it.

As it is, I'm blowing all my spare cash on pedals. I could get another $25-$50 to upgrade to the Valveking, but that would be it. And if I'd upgrade to the valveking, there would be absolutely no way I'd upgrade from it for at least a year. And, if this music store won't give me anything for my MG, or can't get the Valveking in, there's no chance I can get any amp right now.

Now, back to the pedals, will the Boss DS-1 be able to put out a lighter distortion? If not, what is a distortion pedal that will?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Peavey Classic 30 or 20 would be much better than the valveking for low-mid gain distortion, i dont think the valveking has much crunch compared to the classic, and for more gain you could through in a TS-9 or use the big muff pi

the DS-1 will give out a nice light distortion
Ok, glad to hear that about the DS-1. I'll be picking that one up.

As for the Peavey Classics, I do like the looks of them, but they're still a bit out of my range right now. I think I'll just upgrade my amp later this year and go for something really nice instead of just settling for something to get better tone right now.

The fact is that I'm just practicing in my room, so the tone isn't something that is extremely important now. Don't get me wrong here, I know tone is important and I know that the MG doesn't have good tone. However, I'm not doing anything but learning guitar and writing music right now. The tone isn't my issue. What is, however, is my lack of effects. I have songs waiting right now to be finished with the effects, but I can't finish them because I don't have the effects to add to them.

I need the effects now. The amp upgrade can wait, and I really think it's a lot more wise to wait and get a great tube amp that won't need upgrading ever in 6-8 months instead of buying a low end tube amp now, then wanting to upgrade that or have to mod it in 6 months.

So, I'm just going to go for individual pedals for now. Here's my current list;

MXR M-108 Ten Band EQ
MXR M-101 Phase 90
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Big Muff Pi

That should give me any and all sounds I'm looking for and they're all quality pedals, so they won't need upgrading anytime soon.

Now, for powering them, is there a daisy chain that I can get to power them all?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
kurdtkobaign & HeartInACage, just out of curiosity, how many hours have you each logged with these newer units?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
yeah you could daisy chain if you have a Boss Tuner or something like that...

you could also get the Power Block er whatever that thing is..
Quote by fatgraymatt
kurdtkobaign & HeartInACage, just out of curiosity, how many hours have you each logged with these newer units?

???
I'm simply asking how much time you've spent using the GT-8, PODxtLive and the GNX300.
WARNING - $400 is NOT ENOUGH $$$ if you want to do indiviual pedals. The ones that sound good are expensive... over $100 each - So you would only be getting 3 effects... That isn't cool if you want a lot of effects right off the bat.

I therefore give you the 3 best options...

1 - Sell your amp and get a used fender cyber twin. The built in effects are very high quality. My lead guitarist kep his even after he bought his mesa recto! It is also extremely easy to use and will give you tons of sounds. BTW, this option upgrades your amp, and effects, and you should still get one combo with a floor board for about $650.

2 - Spend your money on 3 good individual pedals knowing that you are gong to have to spend more later.

3 - Out of the options that you listed you should go with the line 6 podxtlive. They are usable, fairly easy to work and don't sound like total crap.

There you go... you heard it from the doc (well... soon to be... or one of these days I will be...)

Cheers
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
I have to say get the multi-fx...here's why

1. You can use the PODXTL or GT-8 for your preamp...and yes, the tones are good, you just have to be willing to work with it. I've used the PODXTL, GT-8 and GNX3000, and they all are capable of great tones, and you don't need a tube amp to make them sound good. In my experience, the "big 3" above sound better through full range/full response units like powered monitors of keyboard amps than they do actual tube guitar amps. It all comes down to frequency response...you have to realize that the preamp, power amp, reverb tank and speaker cabinet act as an EQ that you can't adjust.

2. You have everything you need in one box instead of a bunch of individual boxes in front of you, and you have the ability to get a lot more sounds out of the multi-fx than the individual stomps.

3. You'd end up spending much more money on individual stomps if you ended up going for quality and reliability...the multi-fx (namely the POD and GT-8) have very wide range of sounds for each effect...more so than individual stomps.

The multi-fx are less likely to be noisy as well.

I'm a fan of the Boss GT-8 myself, but if you want something with an easy learning curve and a very easy to navigate menu system, get the PODXT...there are good sounds in it out of the box and you should be able to dial in your key tones in a matter of hours.

And with the current market, you should be able to locate a POD in the $300 - $360 range.
GuitarMD, I've already selected 6 great pedals that I can get for around $400.

MXR M-108 Ten Band EQ
MXR M-101 Phase 90
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah
Big Muff Pi

Since I'd be spending so much, it will be easy for me to get a good deal on them.

Now, with the multi's my only real concern is that I won't be able to change effects fast enough. For an example of what I'll be playing, here's the effect order of a song I'm working on now (but can't finish without effects)..

Intro - Clean
Chorus - Light-mid Distortion and Wah
Verse - Clean with chorus and delay
bridge - buildup with flanger
Chorus - light-mid distortion and Wah
Solo 1 - Fuzz distortion, Flanger, Wah
Verse - Clean with chorus and delay
Solo 2/Outro - clean with Flanger

Will I be able to switch effects like that with a multi? I know I could with the individual pedals, but is it possible with the Multi's?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
individual pedals. when you spend 400 dollars on one multi-effects pedal. Your getting who knows how many effects, but you're getting less quality. One you buy a single effect pedal, your paying money for one effect but with better quality. So this way you can by only the effects you want and have better quality. Only problem is you're gonna have a lot of pedals. I hope this made sense.
Oke doke... those are the pedals you want... no problem...

EQ is good choice.
Boss flanger is pretty sad
Check out reviews for the wah you chose... it usually gets beat out for the vox
MXR 90 is okay, check out the small stone by ehx.
Boss DS-1 is okay... it will sound just like your wonderful marshall MG distortion yipee.
Big Muff is the only pedal I personally would allow on my floorboard, so cheers for that one mate...

And your other concern is very valid... it is hard to stomp on multiple pedals without using a looper pedal that allows you to turn off and on entire loops of pedals.

A Keeley looper used to be called the japanese apartment will let you turn off and on individual loops. also there is a loop-master website you might want to check out to help with the effects dance you will be doing.

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Last edited by GuitarMD at Jul 28, 2006,
BTW, you have left out delays, echoes, and chorus...

Mars Volta... C'mon you totally are gonna want a versatile echo and delay.

If you're concerned about turning a bunch of effects on or off, get the multi...

You can pre-program entire effects patches...one button can turn off 3 effects and switch on 8 effects...in fact, you can have an entirely different amp tone on the patch as well...And you won't be limited by settings either. With the multi, you can have different gain settings, different delay times....imagine being able to go from a short delay in the intro to a song to a long delay in the middle. There are so many more possibilities with the multi, and if you're having drastic changes in a song like you've described, what would you rather do, have to strain to try to hit 7 pedals at once or just hit one and concentrate on what you're actually playing?
TwoString, that's some great advice. Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to go for a multi effects unit now. It just makes more sense. Which one would you suggest?

Also, with using a multi like the PODXT Live as a preamp, how would that work and what effect would it have on tone? Would it make the MG sound a little better?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
To whomever it concerns:
Ive logged enough hours to know that multieffects units are a waste of money.

To Xenn:
You can buy a unit that programs which pedals turn on, much like a multifx, except without the horrible tone. I can understand the difficulty with turning off and on pedals, but dont get poor quality just because you wont learn how to turn on the pedals while your playing.
i think multi effects are such a waste of money.

How many of those effects do you actually need? How good do you expect them to sound?

How long will it take to read and understand the manual and how much control over the effects do you expect to have?
Page 1 of 2