how would you be able to tell the difference between what kind of wood a guitar is made out of? and which kind of wood makes the kinda john/clapton/maybe hendrix sound. of course with effects but im just sayin. i just want to know how to tell the differences between woods and the pros and cons of the wood.
:stickpoke

ITALY-2006 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!
Experience. Go to this thread and look for wood shippers. Look for grain, color, and sound. If they match up, then you got yourself a peice of wood!

However, if ti has no grain, and it looks laminated, there is a good chance it IS laminated! D:
ok thanks alot guys. i was just wondering because if a strat is made of alder, and a squier is made out of alder, wouldnt it just be the same with different electronics and other things?
:stickpoke

ITALY-2006 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!
Quote by moo453
ok thanks alot guys. i was just wondering because if a strat is made of alder, and a squier is made out of alder, wouldnt it just be the same with different electronics and other things?

No two pieces of wood are the same. It also makes a difference whether the body is a single piece or several pieces glued together. And a lot of cheaper Fenders are made out of poplar. But I personally think swamp ash is better than alder as a tone wood. Play a hard ash tele (a bit brighter than swamp ash, which is softer) and an alder tele. You'll see a noticable difference.
Hi, I'm Peter