first off i have an ESP KH-202 , many people say they upgrade their hz's to 81's, but i guess i could just take out the old pick ups then put in the 81's but the 81's are active where do u put the batteries for it, i guess u can just fit them in tremolo spring cavity, but what are u supposed to do
Stuffs:
ESP LTD KH-202 electric guitar
Randall RX120DHS
Crate FXT65 amp
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Every Zeppelin Recording
You need to cut a hole in your guitar, I would take it to a shop since you probably are new to installing active pickups.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
You don't need to cut ****, there should be room in your electronics cavity for a battery. On most guitars there is.
These go to eleven...
Quote by CodySG
You need to cut a hole in your guitar, I would take it to a shop since you probably are new to installing active pickups.

your dumb dude

no hoels will need to be cut- the battery will fit in the electronics cavity.

just buy the emg's and follow the driections- you will need to replace all th epots- solder a couple if wires, and replace the intake jack- but thats about it
Quote by toungue untied
You're dumb dude.

No holes will need to be cut, the battery will fit in the electronics cavity. Just buy the emg's and follow the directions, you will need to replace all the pots, solder a couple of wires, and replace the input jack, but that's about it.

Yup I sure am

Excuse me for making a mistake, I was just going off of what I've heard about EMG's and everyone says you will need to cut a hole into your guitar......
Quote by CodySG

yea i thought that was pretty extreme, i thought you were suppossed to fit it in one of the cavities, so i guess i was right
Stuffs:
ESP LTD KH-202 electric guitar
Randall RX120DHS
Crate FXT65 amp
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Every Zeppelin Recording
If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T DO IT. #1 rule. Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing, and then learn from them. Watch them do it. Doesn't matter how simple soldering is, don't take the chance.
Quote by CodySG
Yup I sure am

Excuse me for making a mistake, I was just going off of what I've heard about EMG's and everyone says you will need to cut a hole into your guitar......

It's not necessarily a mistake. Most guitars with active pickups pre-installed have a battery compartment so that you don't have to remove the pickguard or control cover just to replace the battery. And sometimes you DO have to route a larger space because a battery just won't fit in the control cavities of some guitars, not to mention the battery should be isolated from the other wires/electronics to prevent a possible short.
Quote by SolidxSnake
If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T DO IT. #1 rule. Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing, and then learn from them. Watch them do it. Doesn't matter how simple soldering is, don't take the chance.

That's not really great advice, either. If something won't kill you or cause irreparable harm to you or your equipment, there's no reason you shouldn't try to do it yourself. Nothing about wiring a guitar is complicated, and with most things, if you screw it up, the damage can be repaired. Just don't go cutting things that you don't know what they are. And read directions. Most things come out better in the end if you know the directions very well before even starting your project. And make sure you have all the tools you need before you start.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by SolidxSnake
#1 rule my ass. What can go wrong? What "chances" are there to take?
If he does it wrong, he starts over. He can't exactly break anything.
These go to eleven...
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's not necessarily a mistake. Most guitars with active pickups pre-installed have a battery compartment so that you don't have to remove the pickguard or control cover just to replace the battery. And sometimes you DO have to route a larger space because a battery just won't fit in the control cavities of some guitars, not to mention the battery should be isolated from the other wires/electronics to prevent a possible short.

I knew I hadn't just pulled that out of my ass
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
#1 rule my ass. What can go wrong? What "chances" are there to take?
If he does it wrong, he starts over. He can't exactly break anything.

Ruin the pots/switches, the wires. Plus it's just a headache in general.
if im not mistaken, the EMG's come with pots and a hareness already solderd together, right?
if so, just remove pots, and put in new stuff. all you will have to do is solder the ground, input jack and the pup selector back up.

and to insulate the battery, just wrap it in some foam. mine in my bass is like that. and a zip tie to hold it on.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
if im not mistaken, the EMG's come with pots and a hareness already solderd together, right?
if so, just remove pots, and put in new stuff. all you will have to do is solder the ground, input jack and the pup selector back up.

and to insulate the battery, just wrap it in some foam. mine in my bass is like that. and a zip tie to hold it on.

you gotta solder on the ground braid of the pups, as well as change the configuration. I believe the KH-202 has 2 knobs, and the EMGs come prewired for 4 knobs (2 pots per pickup wired together as they schematic shows for a 4 knob set). It's not much to change, but trying to solder a braid to a pot using a little 15 watt iron can cause headache..

i'm babbling about what I did when I installed mine LMFAO
Quote by SolidxSnake
Ruin the pots/switches, the wires. Plus it's just a headache in general.
It's quite difficult to kill a pot with a 30w iron, to me anyway. And wire is cheap.
These go to eleven...