I've had my strings for about 8 months and either the strings are going or I'm just noticing these things:
The drive seems to be having less of an effect, I don't get the nice palm-muted sound I used to, and they seem to sound out of tune when they're not after checking my tuner, but that could be because I put the volume too high.
strings should be changed every month plus they arent to expensive 4 dollars is the standard price
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I'm just making a guess.

The oils from your fingers get onto the strings, and get into between the coils, and that can change the vibration on the string, it shouldn't put it out of tune, but it can deaden the string, making it less lively. When you put on new strings, you can hear the difference, (you can hear the fresh metal) It's just what i've observed, correct me if im wrong, I'm trying to learn too! You can also see the strings change in colour, usually get darker
Quote by latinosuperstud
strings should be changed every month plus they arent to expensive 4 dollars is the standard price

Wow, cheap strings in America.

Anyway, you should chnage your strings when they:

A) Start hurting your fingers when you play. After a while they beginning ripping through your skin.

B) Lose alot of sustain.

C) Go out of tune regularly.

I'd recommend changing your guitar strings every 1-3 months, depending on the climate you live in and how you maintain your guitar.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Jul 27, 2006,
If you're gonna leave strings on for a certain amount of time, i'd day 3 months max. I change mine once a month. 8 months is a long time, so i'd day they are dead.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
as soon as they have a few brown spots change 'em thats my advice
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Well, a month isn't a rule. Just change them when they're dead. Here's some signs:

(1) Your "steel" strings are black;
(2) You run your finger along the G or D string and you feel bumps from fretting;
(3) You tune them constantly because they won't hold a tune anymore;
(4) Everything sounds out of tune after you've tuned it (old strings won't intonate properly);
(5) Your sound has absolutely no brightness.

Or just change them because you want to. New strings always feel good. And make sure you stretch them in or play on them for a while after putting new ones on. New strings have to be allowed to stretch and won't hold a tune until they are.
Hi, I'm Peter
strings shouls be changed every three weeks to a month depinding on how much you play them
Definitely have been losing sustain, but I'm going to avoid spending any money since I'm fairly close to buying a new guitar, so new strings. I wanted to know if the new strings on the new guitar would be better.
strings wear out from the oils from your fingers, from oxidizing from the moisture in the air, worn spots from fret contact, tons of stuff. i change them every month usually, sometimes i let them go longer if they seem ok.
Quote by Smokey Amp

I'd recommend changing your guitar every 1-3 months, depending on the climate you live in and how you maintain your guitar.

Wait do you mean strings or guitar?
Thanks everyone, my guitar and strings have been experiencing all the "symptoms" of dead strings according to you guys so in a few weeks, once I get my new guitar, I'll be ok.
8 MONTHS?!?!?!?! im mega careful with my string (clean them and my hands before playing) and i still only keep them on for 2-3 weeks at most. When they feel like they have a coating of **** on them then they are dead, when they make a bassy thud and no more, they are dead, when they look like the strings on your guitar will do, they are dead. Get some new ones my friend
lol, thanks. And one last thing I forgot to mention, would dead strings make the sliding squeaky annoying sound any louder? When I bring that in I feel like I'm just trying to blame my playing on the strings but I want to know if it's the strings.
dude all i have to say is yeah they're dead. might i suggest some DR's. they don't even need to be stretched that much. change them if:

1) your tone is dull
2) scrape your finger along b and there is crust or rust.
3) can't hold a tune or sounds out of tune
4. your stings look brown instead of silver.
Quote by Robert_Terry
8 MONTHS?!?!?!?! im mega careful with my string (clean them and my hands before playing) and i still only keep them on for 2-3 weeks at most. When they feel like they have a coating of **** on them then they are dead, when they make a bassy thud and no more, they are dead, when they look like the strings on your guitar will do, they are dead. Get some new ones my friend

2 WEEKS ?!?!?!?! .... i dont see the point in changing them every TWO weeks i mean cmon there surely not new after two weeks but id get tired as hell of changing my strings not the mention that itll get pricey. I didnt change my acoustic after about 7 months of play just because I didnt think It needed them, i was WRONG these new strings feel amazing and make my guitar come alive.

As for electric I change them about every 3 months or until I break a string
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

you should change youre strings as often as possible, they are not too expensive,(around 10-15 bucks) 8 months is way too long to let youre strings go for, even you don't play that often, they tend to absorb moisture, and the oils in your fingers will wear them out. if they show the slightest bit of rust or wear you should replace them.
Check your cord. If there isn't anything wrong with your cord, then replace the strings.

I don't believe that strings should be replaced every month. I think every 4 months does the trick. It's a pain in the ass to replace strings on a Floyd Rose every month. Plus, you shouldn't need to. I've had my strings on for about 4 months now, and they still sound great. If you don't play hard, they'll last a lot longer.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by ferretman
Wait do you mean strings or guitar?

I meant strings. Wow, I'm tried.

Quote by Robert_Terry

Jeez, i can get 2 months out of a set, and i don't clean them before or after playing.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
It helps to rip off a piece of computer paper, sorta wrap it around the string, then run it up and down the string a few times with it pinched on there. It takes a lot of crud off the first three strings, but the wound ones don't let as much go.
Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
It helps to rip off a piece of computer paper, sorta wrap it around the string, then run it up and down the string a few times with it pinched on there. It takes a lot of crud off the first three strings, but the wound ones don't let as much go.

Or you could just buy Fast Fret.

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
2 WEEKS ?!?!?!?! .... i dont see the point in changing them every TWO weeks i mean cmon there surely not new after two weeks but id get tired as hell of changing my strings not the mention that itll get pricey. I didnt change my acoustic after about 7 months of play just because I didnt think It needed them, i was WRONG these new strings feel amazing and make my guitar come alive.

As for electric I change them about every 3 months or until I break a string

Tip: Don't wait until they break to change them. The sudden release of torque from a tuner when a string breaks can cause internal components of the tuner to loosen, and prevent it from keeping perfect pitch.

"The Short Version" Break a string, it rattles a part loose in the tuner, and from then on it stays in tune like ****. On a trem guitar, the detuning of that one string will **** up the rest of them. Nice going, then you're screwed...

Edit: You only need to change every two weeks if you're gigging. If you're doing a major tour, once a week. If you're famous, every couple of days.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
Last edited by RelientKaddict at Jul 28, 2006,
$4 for strings. Here In South Africa Its $10. so im kind forced to keep my string until they snap
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much